YOU DAMNED KIDS! I actually need your hypothetical opinion on IRL businessy stuff

Hypothetical: Pretend you are between the ages of 16 and 25. You have an interest in repairing computers and doing other general IT type stuff (break/fix, infrastructure, sysad, etc). You are currently working at McDonalds, there are NO IT shops within 100 miles offering you a job.

If this situation described you, would you be willing to volunteer 3 or 4 hours, twice per week, at a place that would give you hands-on experience and training in computer repair? This wouldn't count towards any university credits, it wouldn't snag you a cool piece of paper saying you are 'certified' for anything, and you won't earn a single dime.

No commitment, just the expectation that you'd show up, help the owner fix things while he shows you whats what, answers questions, gives free advice on any personal projects you're working on etc.

I'm not offering this to anyone here, unless you live in Maine haha. Just wondering if 'your generation' (fuck i feel old saying shit like that) would be willing to give up 8 hours per week, not being paid for it, to serve in an apprentice role. I guess this question could apply to any field of work.

Anyways, coffee.

I'm currently thinking about doing work experience with the same scenario for the purpose of work experience rather than money, though it's a different field. I think that it's a good idea to gain experience like this before any proper job since it just may become an advantage to your course studies and though it may not be listed in a resume, it will still give you a competitive edge in the workplace when looking for promotions.

That's just my opinion. At a young age, it's less likely that you'd even need a wage. Here in Australia the government pays us support whilst we are studying anyway. I don't have a job and I get along just fine, with plenty of money for food and basic needs each week. I'm not too sure what your situation is in The United States, but I'd imagine it's similar.

Oh it's not even close haha. You can get a LOAN through the gov't to pay for tuition and some bills...but otherwise no free support for anything heh. In return for that loan, you get an enormous amount of debt and your wages garnished if you don't pay it in a timely fashion.

That's not the type of specialty that you spend 8 hours a week just to get hands on experience.
I lived in Georgian Republic, trust me, most of the people ask how many sites are on the internet... So re-installing windows with cracked anti-viruses was something every office needed. I was pretty young, like 13 and my friends and I use to re-install windows on people's computer and get paid for it.

But in your situation, I just don't see the benefit of it, If I were you, I'd rather spend my time working on photoshop/after effect skills so you may actually need it.

Funny thing is, you are asking kids for opinion, yet your story sounds more childish to be honest.

PS: I guess it's like piano classes, except you don't pay.

I'm confused. How does my story sound childish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toXioneer
View Post
Funny thing is, you are asking kids for opinion, yet your story sounds more childish to be honest.
And so asking kids for business opinion will most likely get you... No where.
Not to mention... Who in the sick world would of want to work and not be paid for it.

We back to slavery? Awesome. Count me in as a Master meanwhile I sit on my chair, drink whiskey and shag myself off and do nothing for the whole day.

While a lot of you may say "No, slavery" and such, this would be quite useful in my country. Why? Because in here 98% of available job spots are "Experience needed" not giving any chance of somebody young to actually get the experience somewhere. So yeah I would actually go for it just so I could have some experience with it and hopefully have better luck for a job position.

I'd move to Maine right now to work with you, because you're pretty fucking cool lol.

But unfortunately I can't, enlisted. .

But yes, experience is always good to put on your resume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNorton
View Post
And so asking kids for business opinion will most likely get you... No where.
Not to mention... Who in the sick world would of want to work and not be paid for it.

We back to slavery? Awesome. Count me in as a Master meanwhile I sit on my chair, drink whiskey and shag myself off and do nothing for the whole day.
Its called volunteering.

You clearly haven't applied to jobs lately go ahead try to apply to a job w/o any experience don't put them on your Resume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersouse
View Post
Oh it's not even close haha. You can get a LOAN through the gov't to pay for tuition and some bills...but otherwise no free support for anything heh. In return for that loan, you get an enormous amount of debt and your wages garnished if you don't pay it in a timely fashion.
Haha, well we have student loans that are much the same, though you only have to start paying it back once you reach a certain threshold on your salary, on top of government student support payments, so life is probably much easier for us here. I guess if people were interested, they'd have to be able to afford to not work, or find other time to work, but yeah experience is extremely valuable and i'm sure that someone would want to do it so long as there weren't better opportunities which offer a pay as well. I'm sure people would be interested in free tutoring though :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy smyth
View Post
Haha, well we have student loans that are much the same, though you only have to start paying it back once you reach a certain threshold on your salary, on top of government student support payments, so life is probably much easier for us here. I guess if people were interested, they'd have to be able to afford to not work, or find other time to work, but yeah experience is extremely valuable and i'm sure that someone would want to do it so long as there weren't better opportunities which offer a pay as well. I'm sure people would be interested in free tutoring though :P
I believe it works like that over here in Canada as well, government gives ya grants etc that you don't have to pay back if you do well in school, some other companies as well.

You are not expected to pay the loan back during school (unless you want to), your payments+interest began on the day you graduate I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Weston
Посмотреть сообщение
You clearly haven't applied to jobs lately go ahead try to apply to a job w/o any experience don't put them on your Resume.
Indeed.
Because I already have a job

Experience - Indeed yes you do need it for a career or a job but most of employers in UK are already lowering such requirement down with provided training but obviously those with experience have better chance of getting that job.

Experience is not hard to gain in here. In school first you get Work Experience in year... I forgot which. Then theres the apprenticeship which is not hard to get into if you have good grades. If not... Well you should of study more beside walk around with your "homies" and smoke pot. Meanwhile in apprenticeship you earn money and experience.

Isn't this called an "internship" in America? I'd say that's a good excuse KS

I would do that, but maybe just 2-3 weeks ...

Where I live, people give up even 8 hours/DAY, 5 days a week, for half a year to volunteer to get experience (it's most extreme case and institution is quite prestigious, but it's true)

The only problem is: they get a paper and recommendation after it, noone will volunteer as helper/apprentice if it won't get documented

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNorton
Посмотреть сообщение
Kids actually, there are numerous activities like special effects/photoshop which used to cost, now every single lonely kid who has nothing but to play with photoshop does that for free... They're the reason why no one wants to pay over the internet anymore. In every specialty, there comes that kid who's got so called talent and he uses it to make free requests, how sweet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersouse
Посмотреть сообщение
I'm confused. How does my story sound childish?
Because your story sounds like you're naive child who desperately wants to do something... You can learn all that over the internet, and with your PC... why bother when you're getting absolutely nothing out of it while you're being someones assistant who's getting paid... Only child would love to work for no pay...

Thing is, I don't support this volunteer bullshit... I hate when everyone has their own business and make stupid stuff like this to get people to work and yet don't pay.. the guy you want to work for is a PIG, making someone help and yet not giving him a dime... Why would I work for someone like that? Experience is not a valid reason. If I hire a hooker, and tell her that I'm gonna show her awesome experience and not pay her for that? that's how it sounds to me.

We're not your free monkeys to help you make profit for free. You as convicted criminal should do something better.

I would do it for the experience definitely, if only I still lived in Maine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanz
Посмотреть сообщение
We're not your free monkeys to help you make profit for free. You as convicted criminal should do something better.
He is not asking for your help with it.
He is asking if people who are 16 to 25 years old will be willing to help him.

OT: If there is a potential for a job in the future / or if you can offer help with my issues in the subject (learning/school/projects) then yes . ( and if possible some snacks & coffee would be nice. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanz
Посмотреть сообщение
Was he actually convicted or just held, or are you just trying to provoke for no apparent reason.