Fallout 1/2 gameplay clone - Proof of concept

I often rant about people trying to make SA-MP a completely different game that isnt GTA anymore. So I created a script for turn-based, passive 3rd person gameplay.

Ive done a lot of messy stuff, but this one definitely tops it all by means of getting away from GTA gameplay.

This one is pretty close to all the oldschool isometric tactical games. People with some oldschool experience might notice that the interface is pretty much a clone of the Fallout 1 interface (at least as good as I got it with SAMP methods). Though most of the interface buttons are non-functioning fakes yet, only the weapon part really works.

So what is it?
Instead of controlling your character directly with your mouse and keyboard, you give orders to it. Here, you got a free 3 dimensional camera that is controlled with the common movement keys, and with the mouse you control a cursor that is used for giving these orders (e.g. tell the character where to move, or what to attack). The mouse is multifunctional, depending on what kind of thing youre selecting. Alternatively you can switch to the interface mode and use the mouse to interact with the interface. The cursor looks stuttery in the video because it is actually bound to a 1x1m grid, as using a grid makes several things a lot easier.
Combats with other players would be fought in turns, so players play one by one, while they got a certain amount of points for actions in each turn.
Direct character controls are completely disabled.

However, its just a proof of concept right now. I got that idea when jremi asked for suggestions for a fallout based server (so thanks to him for actually causing me to think about this). It was rather meant as a joke when I suggested turn-based fights, but that idea somehow got me interested afterwards, so I had to try it. Right now Ive got no idea if Ill make anything out of this. I got concepts for most of the stuff needed for a full server with this, so I actually could bring this online. But as with many others of my projects I really dont know if ill ever bring this far enough, though I really like the gameplay

ha wow that interesting.

Looks pretty fucking cool! Damn ;o

OMG :O That is just pure awesomeness....

I want to play it .

Expected something like this from you.

Good job.

You are the god of scripting. Well done.

Interesting concept, you should definitively keep it up! Great job!

That's pretty cool Mauzen, but it would be awesomer if you can move the person with your mouse, it's a lot harder, but I think you can manage.

Haha well done.

Thanks for the feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawhats
View Post
That's pretty cool Mauzen, but it would be awesomer if you can move the person with your mouse, it's a lot harder, but I think you can manage.
Well, it would have some advantages to use the real mouse for that, and not just the camera center. The way to go would be to add a grid of clickable textdraws all over the screen. Using globals for that, it would give a resolution of about 50x35. This would indeed be good enough for proper movement, at least in low camera angles. It would feel strange though for sharper angles, the textdraws would have to have different sizes in order to match the players camera angle properly. This would need player textdraws then, and 256 clearly arent enough for a proper resolution.
Also, you cant use keys while the textdraw-selection mode is active. That means you would constantly be switching between mouse and camera controls, gameplay would get stuttery and annoying. Additionally, currently you use the mouse/camera to point somewhere, and then got a set of keys to select what to do with that position, just hovering a certain position displays information about it. Thats pretty fluent. Using textdraws, you would have to click at the target first to get information, then select the action. Again, this would slow down the game.
IMO it works quite well just as it is right now. Sure, it can still use some optimizations to make selecting distant targets easier (right now selection is just 2D, considering the height of objects would help a lot), but after all I think using the real mouse with textdraws wouldnt be the better choice.

General information: As i am proceeding with this, it will eventually cause me to release updates for MapAndreas and RNPC. Yep, Im extremely egoistic about that. Many people waiting for updates, but I only do them when I need them myself But stuff like this actually is what keeps me motivated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauzen
View Post
Thanks for the feedback!

but I only do them when I need them myself .
How :A@RAW :P

but atleast, you do it anyway

keep it up, start a server for sure, i'll play
good luck