Where do YOU start when scripting a server?

Hi all,

My team and I were discussing how we all start with different aspects of a script when we are writing a gamemode from scratch, and it made me curious as to how you guys start.

What are the first few things you do when writing a new script? (after adding necessary includes etc.) Do you add vehicles first? Player spawns? Class selection? Commands? Write the text content?

Since everyone has quite different styles of scripting, I'm interested to see everyone's responses to this

I always start with the login & registration system. And continue on with the tutorial & etc. Then start adding all the features.

It really depends on type of gamemode. Login/Register is needed maybe for public testing, but don't start with it. New gamemode is a lot of testing and login every restart is waste of time for me.

Start with main things of your GM and add things like cars, objects, classes, etc.

You will take particular steps for any server of SAMP you will create, It doesn't really matter if it is RP or RPG, DM or TDM.
First of all, You must have a text document so you will write then up-comming features and modifications, It will make things organized, First of all, Create your admin system which means even registration and login system are included.
After that, You will start creating the features of that server, Let's say if it RP create commands then create House system, Then business vehicles events ect, When you've got all that, You can start making the dialogs of rules, And commands, I don't support to make rules before creating anything in the server.
So technically, There are few points you must know:
Create your admin system first of all.
Never create dialog of rules and commands before you made rules and other features.

Always the OnGameModeInit stuff first. Create the world itself before starting to interact with said world. Then I go over the callbacks in the order a player goes through them. OnPlayerConnect, OnPlayerRequestClass, OnPlayerRequestSpawn, OnPlayerSpawn. Commands are added on the fly as I see fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clad
Посмотреть сообщение
Create your admin system first of all.
RCON is enough! Doing an admin system (like first thing) for gamemode, where you can't know, if it will be successful isn't the right choice.

I did basic admin system before public maybe, but definitely not like first.

I start with puting teams then vehicles then commands :P

Structure is everything in my view, you want to aim for a highly modular script of course there is no script that demonstrates gamemode design better than Scavange&Survive if you do this your design will be a lot easier in the long run.

https://github.com/Southclaw/Scaveng...ngeSurvive.pwn

To me doing this is a no brainer way to start it's really the only way to start now that doesn't mean people don't prefer to design their scripts in other ways that is fine but when you have more than one person a project going modular is the best way and is also my personal preference as well.

• Login/Register system
(• Objects + Vehicles i.e. maps •)
• Basic Admin Commands
• Spawn Classes, OnPlayerSpawn, OnPlayerRequestSpawn
• Before everything, Make a good note on what you're going to do.
You can make your own set of instructions like, if you're going to have an business system, write down all of the features/function that should be done (so you won't forget it).

Alright:
1) first you have to script your own login and register system (I usually recommend mysql or SQLite for users).
2) create the player spawns (make them dynamic if it's an rp server) else, do them statically.
3) play around with the logging and registering screen by adding textdraws and such thing to show your creativity.
4) create the basic player commands and admin commands
5) if houses system is one of the features that your gamemode gonna have them create it.
6) create business system / prepare your dialogs if it's static.
7) if your gamemode takes place in one of the normal gta cities like Los Santos, try by adding some simple maps around to show that you don't work only on coding.
now it's weapons time, create your own guns system.
9) add some jobs and skills and a paycheck system.
10) do an inventory system.

the secret is mainly about taking care of both sides, coding and mapping. If you have done them try by taking care of the UCP and website designing.

Good luck, if you really need help you can contact me as i might get on PC soon ( getting some life back )