[Tutorial] Scripting in PAWN for SA-MP Modification

SCRIPTING IN PAWN FOR SA-MP MODIFICATION
Variable

What is a variable? A variable is basically a bit of memory that stores a value and can be changed on runtime (runtime is when the server is running)

Quoted from Wikipedia:

In computer programming, a variable or scalar is a storage location and an associated symbolic name (an identifier) which contains some known or unknown quantity or information, a value.

Quick notes:

1. A value is a piece of stored information that can be manipulated by the computer.
2. A symbolic name or identifier is just a name for a variable which stores a value.
3. When creating a variable you give it a name (a symbolic name or identifier) and a value.

Data type

What is a data type? A data type is a type of variable.

Quoted from Wikipedia:

In computer science and computer programming, a data type or simply is type a classification identifying one of various types of data, such as real, integer or Boolean, that determines the possible values for that type; the operations that can be done on values of that type; the meaning of the data; and the way values of that type can be stored.

Data types in PAWN:

- "Boolean"
pawn Код:
new boolean:myBoolean  = true;
- "Integer"
pawn Код:
new myInteger = 17;
- "Float"
pawn Код:
new Float:myFloat = 85.567;
- "String"
pawn Код:
new playername[24] = “Bertie”;
- "Array"
pawn Код:
new myArray[4];
Quick notes:

1. A boolean stores two values which are denoted as true and false.
2. An integer stores integral values which are whole numbers.
3. A float stores floating-point values which have potential decimal places
4. A string stores a text.
5. An array stores a collection of values using one variable name.

Function

What is a function? A function is a structure of instructions that perform a specific task when called by the server.

Quoted from Wikipedia:

In computer programming, a subroutine is a sequence of program instructions that perform a specific task, packaged as a unit. This unit can then be used in programs wherever that particular task should be performed.
In different programming languages a subroutine may be called a procedure, a function, a routine, a method, or a subprogram. The generic term callable unit is sometimes used.

Example of scripting a function:

pawn Код:
forward pName(playerid); // Forwarding the function
public pName(playerid)
{
    new playername[24]; // We create a string for storing the text (player's name)
    GetPlayerName(playerid, playername, sizeof(playername)); // We use a native function for getting the player's name
    return playername;
}

// We created that function to easier get a player name anywhere in the script when called, for example:

public OnPlayerConnect(playerid) // Callback
{
    new string[128]; // We create a string for storing the text (message)
    format(string, sizeof(string), "%s has connected to the server", pName(playerid)); // We format the string to include another string
    SendClientMessageToAll(string, -1); // We use a native to send the message to all players
    return 1;
}
Native function

What is a native function? A native function is a function that is already implemented into the script by another scripter(s).

Quoted from Wikipedia:

The "native" adjective refers to software or data formats supported by a certain system with minimal computation overhead and additional components.

Example of a native function:

pawn Код:
native SendClientMessage(playerid, color, const message[]);
Click here to redirect to all native functions

To be continued.....
Please only give your opinion on what is written so far

That's actually useful for newbies who have zero idea about sa-mp scripting and all.
Nice Job!
I'd keep track of this tutorial and I'd give you a rep if you complete it!

The quoted text appears very sophisticated; I don't think the majority of the people here understand anything at all. Use layman's terms instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iReacheR
Посмотреть сообщение
That's actually useful for newbies who have zero idea about sa-mp scripting and all.
Nice Job!
I'd keep track of this tutorial and I'd give you a rep if you complete it!
Thank you, I will be continuing it next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
Посмотреть сообщение
The quoted text appears very sophisticated; I don't think the majority of the people here understand anything at all. Use layman's terms instead.
Actually, I did used layman's terms before I quoted Wikipedia definitions.

new playername[24] = “Bertie”

";"

native SendClientMessage(playerid, color, constmessage[]);

"const message[]"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar
Посмотреть сообщение
new playername[24] = “Bertie”

";"

native SendClientMessage(playerid, color, constmessage[]);

"const message[]"
Thank you for identifying those errors, edited.