Best way of versioning a Gamemode?

Answer which one is good?

Major.Minor.Patch (Semantic versioning - semver.org) (Like 1.8.2, 8.3.1, 0.1.0-alpha.3)
R[X] - Revision number (Like R7
Build X - Build number
Another way. - Please mention it on your post.

I'd vote for Revision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannary2048
Посмотреть сообщение
I'd vote for Revision
Thanks

Revision

I'll go with Revision.

My vote is for revision or build number.

I think semver is the best way to version any piece of software ever, but it depends on the target audience.

Assuming you're not writing an open-source gamemode, the people that will see the version are you and your players.
You don't need to know your version in any specific format, because you should be using git/svn so that you know which changes were made when, or you should at least be keeping notes about major changes.
So it's your players that have an interest in the version. In this case, I think semver is overkill because players don't care about the details of versioning, and it's harder to identify a change between, say, "1.19.52" and "1.19.53" compared to something like "Build 12" and "Build 13".

So using one build/revision number places a focus on major updates, which I think is good for something like a SA-MP gamemode.

As for which one out of "build x", "revision x", "Rx", it doesn't really matter, it's all the same thing.

Semantic versioning for internal use, whatever is prettier for public view. You know, for marketing.

Also

revision (rɪˈvɪʒən)
1. the act or process of revising

That's why SA:MP current version is 0.3x R3, this means the 0.3x has had three revisions. Revisions are to be used after actual major structures such as Build or even Version (ex: Build 3 Revision 43, Version 4.2, Revision 3 which could be Version 4.02.003 if you use semantics..)

Build seems the best.

I'm currently myself struggling with this question. As a developer I prefer to use semver, but I think out of the remaining two options the build is most clear for the average player, as ev0lution already points out.

Here is a free book about version control! http://www.ericsink.com/vcbe/