My Quest to Automate My Life

If you have been following my on IRC, you might know that i started coding my own home/life automation software. The software gives me reminders, tells me the weather every hour, and more. It gives me all this information with text to speech, via the speakers in my ceiling.

The system runs on my old laptop, which stays on 24/7 and has a small desk fan next to it to prevent overheating.

100% of all features are voice enabled, so that i can hear them anytime. The Bedtime reminder every night tells me that it is time to go to bed. In the future i will shutdown all my computers with this command, and possibly control the lights in my room.

The Redbox Reminders basically remind me every afternoon that i need to return my active redbox DVD's.

The Hourly weather reports basically read aloud the weather for my zip code, which is retrieved via XML.

I also plan on adding remote support via a ******* account - i tweet to the system, and it will do the action. Voice commands are also planned.

This is nothing that is going to be released to the public, I'm just looking for feedback and suggestions

It is a nifty idea to say. But I prefer using my brain for reminders altho with short memory I will forget it anyways.

The idea of
Quote:

remote support via a ******* account

might make it more interesting.
Personally I don't see much of it use on a desktop/laptop but more of tablet/phone where it would of run in the background.

Good Luck with it. If you need any help you can ask me freely.

Wow, this looks really interesting. My only question is why you would rely on a third party site like ******* for commanding your software. Wouldn't it be a better idea to use an app for portable devices?

Awesome Man Its good But You may getting a lot of bill of electricity Due to the Laptop ? You could also make this for android ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
Посмотреть сообщение
Wow, this looks really interesting. My only question is why you would rely on a third party site like ******* for commanding your software. Wouldn't it be a better idea to use an app for portable devices?
It just is much easier to code. The idea for ******* is that i send the system a message like: "set alarm for 8" when i am not home.

This is actually pretty cool and it looks well scripted. I am sure a lot of people could benefit from this and I am sure a lot pf people would even use this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkers
Посмотреть сообщение
This is actually pretty cool and it looks well scripted. I am sure a lot of people could benefit from this and I am sure a lot pf people would even use this.
Well scripted? Firstly this is programming and not scripting and he has only shown us a GUI with a few checkbox that are supposed to activate a few timers that will remind him of stuff. He has no education (as far as I am concerned) that allow him to re-wire his lights in his room except if he would do it externally which would be ugly. Not sure about his country but in many countries it's not legal to touch the internal powerlines without proper education. With that being said I wish you good luck and it would be nice to actually get a video or something showing the system in action and not only a picture of a GUI which can be made within a day.

When it comes to automation there is nothing better than a raspberry pi, or any other micro pc. It uses even less power than some handy chargers, and got all the stuff youll usually need. Okay, you would be missing the monitor for your GUI, but you could set that with a simple client on your PC or phone, or just plugin in a keyboard and an old monitor, or even that 7" raspberry lcd (though it is pretty expensive).

I like that stuff btw, heres my own ultimate lazyness assistant:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlonzoTorres
Посмотреть сообщение
Well scripted? Firstly this is programming and not scripting and he has only shown us a GUI with a few checkbox that are supposed to activate a few timers that will remind him of stuff. He has no education (as far as I am concerned) that allow him to re-wire his lights in his room except if he would do it externally which would be ugly. Not sure about his country but in many countries it's not legal to touch the internal powerlines without proper education. With that being said I wish you good luck and it would be nice to actually get a video or something showing the system in action and not only a picture of a GUI which can be made within a day.
First of all: If you don't have anything nice to say, please don't say it. I don't appreciate being called "non educated".

Also, if you haven't seen the code, how do you know it's terrible? The code is not public, i made this thread just to show this project.

I don't need to touch the power lines, there is such a thing as wireless systems nowadays such as the X10, which i will be purchasing in the future.

Also, i have made some videos in the past but they are running like barely the first version of the program. (Here they are)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj101
Посмотреть сообщение
Also, i have made some videos in the past but they are running like barely the first version of the program. (Here they are)
Now that made me more interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj101
Посмотреть сообщение
First of all: If you don't have anything nice to say, please don't say it. I don't appreciate being called "non educated".

Also, if you haven't seen the code, how do you know it's terrible? The code is not public, i made this thread just to show this project.

I don't need to touch the power lines, there is such a thing as wireless systems nowadays such as the X10, which i will be purchasing in the future.

He didn't even state that the code is terrible he was just asking the guy that said it's "well programmed" how does he know it is.

Also he didn't mean anything bad by it, it was just constructive critisism which apparenlty you need to learn how to take.

Other than that, seems decent I guess. A bit funny how a computer is "automating" your life, jeez, what did technology do to us... -.-

Thats much interesting. Nice work

Very interesting, good luck.

I really like this idea a lot, actually, I'd like this program if you could provide it, thus, I put 8 alarms and I never wake up... xD

It's a cool idea that can work out for you. Also, maybe a good idea to look at ****** Now for some inspiration.
Everything that has been mentioned in your post (the idea) is in ****** Now.
http://www.******.com/landing/now/#g...ge&tab=weather

Was this done intuitively? Other than that, it's a really great e-assistant to you

You need memos most importantly, although this is all I can think of

EDIT: Have you ever thought up about a fail-safe backup plan incase your e-assistant (as I call it for your software) crashes or the laptop hosting it comes under any issues? :O

That's interesting. Best of luck with this, I would love to have something like this in my home :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast3r
Посмотреть сообщение
He didn't even state that the code is terrible he was just asking the guy that said it's "well programmed" how does he know it is.

Also he didn't mean anything bad by it, it was just constructive critisism which apparenlty you need to learn how to take.

Other than that, seems decent I guess. A bit funny how a computer is "automating" your life, jeez, what did technology do to us... -.-
This. Also I never said you were "uneducated" I just said some countries require an actual profession to touch internal powerlines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y_Less
Посмотреть сообщение
What country are you in? Your signature mentions "Ј", so if you are in England this is completely wrong information. You can do what you like in your own home - we have rewired parts of our home countless times.

I'm with Mauzen on the micro-pc front, but even a raspi is overkill for this. I personally use this arduino board (it is tiny):

http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardProMini
Sweden. I also use the Arduino, only made a few small projects though like 8-bit LED countdowns and controlling RGB LEDs. I use Arduino UNO which is one of the smaller ones. I bought all my parts from China for around Ј200. I have a lot of things.

Here's some information regarding the rules Sweden has: http://www.elsakerhetsverket.se/sv/B...ghetssystemet/
Use ****** Translate or the "Translate" button at the top of the page.
Quote:

When electrification of Sweden gained momentum in the early 1900s was gradually need to ensure adequate competence of those who carried out the electrical installations. In 1919 came the first government regulations requiring permission for those who would carry out the electrical installation. Since then, new regulations on the subject came in 1939, 1975 and 1990.

Great job! I've always wanted to make a home automation system and I'm currently building a prototype, but it's different than yours. I'm controlling everything via bluetooth with an Android smartphone and the brains of the project is an Arduino microcontroller.