Oculus acquired and opensourced RakNet

http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/...ourced_raknet/

This is really not good. I mean yes - exploits will be found, exploits will be fixed. BUT anyone using a version out of date is... well... fucked.

Isn't this also used in SA-MP or am I mixing things up now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
Посмотреть сообщение
Isn't this also used in SA-MP or am I mixing things up now?
It is. Though, apparently SA-MP's version is heavily edited to resolve lots of exploits so you don't have to worry about any of them being exploited.

******** should acquire my ass too while they still buy everything god sake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten
Посмотреть сообщение
I don't get why you have to be so angry about something like this. For projects such as raknet, this is a very positive thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity
Посмотреть сообщение
I don't get why you have to be so angry about something like this. For projects such as raknet, this is a very positive thing.
I'm not, ******** is ruining projects, RakNet is of course good having it up for open source is not really good for such projects that have been using it. To not take this off topic you can PM me if you want to continue this conversation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten
Посмотреть сообщение
l0l

OT: That's a good thing in my opinion as that will help out RakNet to develop further.

Atleast Oculus are using the ******** money for good things, rather than using it as another way to monitor the web a great project is open source! Yes as KingHual said the ones using the current verrsions are kind of screwed, however it won't be long before people fix all the current exploits and those who are interested in it will continue to make additions and fix issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity
Посмотреть сообщение
I just dont like the idea that some internet companies try to build up a monopoly. When deciding for some software Id like to have a choice, and dont want to end up with ******** no matter what I pick.
Why did they buy Instagram? To get rid of a competitor social network.
Competition is what brings most improvements. If theres just one software of a type, they dont need to improve it to compete with other, but just to follow their own goals (which might be good or bad for us as users)

Raknet is probably in the top class of network integration. They obviously want to use it for oculus game developement, so oculus will especially support their raknet. Other network frameworks might be less compatible with the oculus then. So after all youll get tied even closer to ******** when you want to use oculus.