MAUZOBOT - A robotic hardware NPC for SA-MP

I dont like spamming the video section with my stuff that is just barely related to samp, so this one goes into the offtopic section, I think it fits here best.
So as I said, I got one more thing to show from my current software-hardware hybrid projects (thats a neat name).

Before describing it, Ill just post the video

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awhhnCazNy0[/ame]

This is just what it looks like, the robotic arm uses the numpad on my keyboard to move to a selected position in SA (grove street to some tattoo store in LS in that video), acting as some kind of "hardware NPC". It can navigate to any position, starting from anywhere. Thats because it actually uses data from Gamer_Z's GPS plugin to calculate the route. Apart from that, the arm just needs to know the current position of the player, the server sends it to the arm controller via the socket plugin. It then tries to reach the single nodes by navigating vertical and horizontal only. Unfortunately it cant use the mouse, too, so movements might look a bit weird sometimes, but it works surprisingly well.
I could write pages about all the technical details, but I dont think that would be very interesting

To prove that, heres another video. I wanted to test a long route, so it turned out grove street to four dragons in LV would do it (more than 4000m and 266 nodes). The arm missed the right key 3 times during that time, and so got stuck, but I corrected that during recording, so I didnt have to readjust the arm and start the whole journey again
It is timelapsed from ~19 to 3 minutes, and I added some random youtube-music, else it would be boring as hell to watch it. The first video at least had those keyboard clicks and servo hums.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2YtAv3bKYA[/ame]

Working time including video recording was about 5 hours. The arm already existed and was fully functional, but "teaching" it how to hit the right keys took a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindred
View Post
I bet it's "Tired of onscreen GTA: San Andreas? So check Mauzen's GTA:SA Simulator" or something very similar.
Your bet was pretty good

That looks really cool, does it support vehicles aswell or does it get too complicated then?

That's great!

Ok, it's time to ban you from SA-MP forums, you're way too genius to play here.

OT: Great job, I really like it

Hehe thanks for the feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
View Post
That looks really cool, does it support vehicles aswell or does it get too complicated then?
It COULD be possible to drive a car this way, but not without further modifications. Just to allow decent driving hardware wise, it would need to access two keys at the same time for acceleration/steering, but unfortunately that arm just has one finger There would be ways to do this, even without a second arm, but I dont think ill do that, the software would be much more complex than it already is. Teaching a bot to drive a car is even more difficult than teaching a human

Looks freaking awesome. Great job again Mauzen! I wonder if you could make your keyboard work automatically instead of that robotic hand?

This is great, however i noticed a little issue; when the robot press the numpad 6 it also presses numpad 5.

That's some very cool stuff you've got there and it works surprisingly well. Do you plan on extending the capabilities of it later on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBored
View Post
This is great, however i noticed a little issue; when the robot press the numpad 6 it also presses numpad 5.
Yep thats a problem with the keyboard orientation, moving it a bit off the place can cause the arm to miss the key, hit the wrong one or press multiple keys at once. The arm doesnt see the keys, but just moves to certain positions where the keys were during initial learning (thats the same problem that causes the arm to get stuck in the second video, that "pen-finger" isnt glued to the arm, but might move a bit after several keypresses). I was too lazy to fix it and rerecord the video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiddos
View Post
That's some very cool stuff you've got there and it works surprisingly well. Do you plan on extending the capabilities of it later on?
I never really plan that stuff. Most of the times I just suddenly get an idea, and one day later it is up and running. If I get some nice new idea Ill probably improve it, but right now Im out of ideas, or the ideas I have are too much work for the lazy me

Duh, Mauzen, Master, Teach meh