Tired of all these onscreen maps? So check the MAUZOMAP

Nope, this isnt a duplicate thread, im just horribly bad at finding thread titles. Incase you think this shouldnt have its own thread send me a message and Ill try to get it merged with the other one

As I said in the MAUZOMETER thread, I have several ideas of more offscreen HUDs. This is one of them.
The MAUZOMAP projects a laser dot at my current ingame position on the printed map in the right. Originally I wanted to use that map poster for this, but I couldnt find it and didnt want to spend ages for serching.
Before getting technical, heres the video, I suggest switching to HD:

Unfortunately this didnt work out as good as i hoped. The laser module isnt perfectly centered, and as its in a very close distance to the map, these offsets have a pretty big impact on the accuracy, and considering the offsets in teh calculations would be a lot of work for something Ill barely use again anyways.
So the routes Im driving for the video are close to the projectors center, and aspect ratios are optimized for that area. When moving further away, the projected dot quickly moves away from the real position. Thats why I wanted to use the poster. With a screen distance of 4 meters to the opposite wall, instead of 9cm to the paper, and a much bigger map, it would probably be possible to cover all SA with satisfying accuracy.
However, this still is a project just for fun, and not really meant to be useful in any way.

For those curious how the projection works: I already had a pan/tilt unit mounted to my shelf (visible in the top right corner of the MAUZOMETER video), I just attached a new laser module to it (even the clip for that already existed), and thats all about the hardware efforts. Wasnt sure if it would move, as it wasnt powered for more than a year, but after all I had no problems.
That laser then points at the screen (map) from BEHIND, thats nice because its pretty discreet. The paper scatters the laser a bit and prevents you from going blind instantly
Calculating the angles wasnt difficult as I left out the offsets. If anyone cares I can explain the math part a bit more detailled.
Heres a short "behind the screens" video showing the laser moving to different positions.

My own conclusion: This was fun, but by means of usefulness Id still prefer the MAUZOMETER, though neither of them could be used on any other server but my local one

OK.. really. Very nice.

Very nice, I like.

This is awesome! Glad to see somebody bringing their other skills into GTA. Very cool!

Quality of german engineering

Haha, that was great.
Interesting indeed, not sure it'll catch on though! (An app would be cool!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drebin
View Post
Didn't know this was a Volkswagen commercial!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drebin
View Post
Haha,true dat.

HOW. DO. YOU. DO. ALL. THIS. THINGS. MAN?

That's just amazing! Can't imagine how you did this!