whats best? Windows server Vs Linux server.

Hello dear members,I wanted to know whats the best out of these. I saw may people using linux vps/servers to host. But y? Y not windows?it has cool interfaces with rdp.but linux we use ssh clients, thats annoying...BTW even SAMP 1000 slot server is available only for linux but not for windows. Why does this happen?Why people take much interests with linux?
What's your view/opinion about this? Don't forget to Vote.

Yes I think Windows is human-friendly coz half of you use Windows as regular activities. But FYI, Linux is lightweight than Windows. If you talk about security, Windows has many bugs and easy hacked for me and a lot of virus in it too, but not for Linux. If you understand Linux a much you'll like it

Yep I play GTA and many other game in Windows, but for the server I chose Linux

It is not the interest. It is with the performance! Windows sucks as compared to Linux for servers.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000575.htm

Linux. More secure and reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Twixx]
Посмотреть сообщение
Linux. More secure and reliable.
This. And I actually prefer SSH over the stupid remote desktop thing.. Also you should fix the poll, you can vote for both..

Because far as hosting goes windows uses more resources which can be cut down completely with Linux. Linux is also far more secure as it's open source and based off security if you know what you're doing of course, because if you don't your leaving it open for everyone to attempt to get their way inside, just like a Windows Server.

all in all, windows is not a recommended hosting OS by professionals. Windows Servers require updates which require restarts quite a bit where linux can be updated and not rebooted for months. Which means less downtime for your services.

Linux support is just as good as windows support and learning the OS is not really a challenge especially CentOS where you can look up just about every problem and every solution over ****** and find a answer.

The OS can be a challenge to handle but with control panels like cPanel or webmin it can make your life a whole lot easier and actually enjoy using Linux.

Personally i prefer Windows Server 2012 R2. It is as secure as you make it and providing you know what your doing its really good to use, yeah Linux is lightweight but again its what hardware you host your O/S on as well.

There isn't a really a better choice its purely what you prefer. A lot of the VPS providers you find don't secure Windows Server but if you use your own dedicated and its properly set up .. your golden

linux servers, it's cheaper and more affordable, and it's capable of running a lot of stuff

Depends if you are talking about Linux 100%, or Windows running a Linux VM, or Linux running a Windows VM.

When samp03svr is running on my 100% Linux system;

Summary

The process samp03svr (with pid 30537) is using approximately 6.9 MB of memory.
It is using 6.8 MB privately, and a further 1244.0 KB that is, or could be, shared with other programs.
Dividing up the shared memory between all the processes sharing that memory we get a reduced shared memory usage of 105.0 KB. Adding that to the private usage, we get the above mentioned total memory footprint of 6.9 MB.

Library Usage

The memory usage of a process is found by adding up the memory usage of each of its libraries, plus the process's own heap, stack and any other mappings, plus the stack of its one other thread.

Private

6444 KB [heap]
372 KB /media/drive_d/samp03/samp03svr
28 KB /media/drive_d/samp03/plugins/Whirlpool.so
20 KB /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6.0.16
16 KB /media/drive_d/samp03/plugins/nativechecker.so

Shared

608 KB /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc-2.15.so
388 KB /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6.0.16
108 KB /lib/i386-linux-gnu/ld-2.15.so
68 KB /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpthread-2.15.so
24 KB /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libm-2.15.so

Totals

Private 6964 KB (= 364 KB clean + 6600 KB dirty)
Shared 1244 KB (= 1244 KB clean + 0 KB dirty)
Rss 8208 KB (= Private + Shared)
Pss 7069 KB (= Private + Shared/Number of Processes)
Swap 0 KB

Results will vary due to number of users online, plugins, etc.. Compare this to Windows and see if you get better results. I don't have any Windows benchmarks to share with you.

This is quickly turning into which OS is better topic. That is a choice left up to the individual not a public opinion, but I gave up on Microsoft back when Microsoft lied to their customers. I continued to use XP until I fully was migrated into Linux. If you have a solid product, you don't need to make commercials like that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewerthRoleplay
Посмотреть сообщение
This. And I actually prefer SSH over the stupid remote desktop thing.. Also you should fix the poll, you can vote for both..
Why rdp sucks??
Its very easy to use Windows RDP service which has cool interfaces & also adding file permissions instead of "Chmod ...."