Thoughts About Styles PvP/RP

At the moment, I belong to 2 servers. One is PvP the other RP. The RP servers seem to have about one-tenth the membership as PvP. The good thing about RP, I don't get killed every 5 minutes... the bad thing about it, I don't get killed every 5 minutes. What do I mean by that? Because of some very tight RP "rules" it is dreadfully boring.

Role Playing servers need to be a bit more flexible with those rules. I am not naming names but the server allows for both legal and illegal jobs. But I don't see prostitution listed, it is "real world" and it could be done with or without visual aids. So Joe Mercury cannot become a male prostitute... big deal. What about thief? I am not talking about banks but houses and that is in the original game. Nope. I am allowed 1 and only 1 illegal job "car thief". All the other jobs seem to "fluffy" and legal. But that is just my opinion.

Another odd rule, no random acts of violence... why because "that doesn't happen in the real world"... wait, what??! I am not saying that RP should become random chaos like PvP already is now. I am saying you need to remain flexible.

Now to shift gears and pick on you PvP servers. Most seem to lack any control at all. I thought, on my first time out, we were on "teams" but apparently those color assignments mean nothing at all. So then you have tons of people shooting up the place with four men in a truck doing drive by shootings. Which is fine but how about adding a PvP flag so new people can actually get wet first before tossing them into the deep end of the pool?

Now here is a random suggestion, and if someone has seen it, I would like to know which server does this; PvE where there are NPCs with "quests" and have agendas. I am not talking about remaking World of Warcraft, just get creative and make some NPCs with a task to perform. Then make some NPC's that go nutty for no reason. That would spice up the otherwise stale RP server. I really do love to RP, but these silly "real world" rules where nothing bad happens, I might as well play "Hello Kitty".

What are you trying to point on here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyDrAtIc
View Post
What are you trying to point on here?
I think he is trying to point something about TDM and RP combined server right?

That's why I don't play RP. And by the way, I think you posted in the wrong board. This board is related to stuff that don't have to do anything with SA-MP. You should post here: http://forum.sa-mp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13

Yes this is the thing that separates RP players and DM players, but today you can just join any RP server and play it as if it was a DM server because no one respects the true purpose of RP anymore.

When you RP you are not supposed to be expecting a shootout every 5 minutes, not even every 5 hours. You don't need to be expecting it at all, because RP is much more than just killing.

In RP when there's a shootout, it has a meaning and in many cases it's the conclusion of a long lasting argument (days or even weeks) between factions and that's what makes shootouts more special in RP than DM.

I agree with you about the jobs though. RP servers don't even really need jobs that are picked like berries then you're stuck to that job for hours. That is one of the reasons why our server didn't last because players couldn't understand they don't need to take some drug dealer job in order to deal drugs. You could just purchase a drug farm (or use someone else's), grow some drugs and then sell them without the gamemode coming on your way telling you have to be drug dealer, not a taxi driver (or a trucker or any job for that matter. Why taxi drivers cannot be drug dealers? Why truckers cannot be taxi drivers?). This is why unique servers will not survive in SA-MP. Players are too used to the fact that the gamemode tells you what the fuck you are and what the fuck you can do if you have chosen to be something, players don't realize some gamemodes just let them do what they want freely without some texts jumping out "type /selldrugstomike to sell drugs to Mike".

Quote:

This is why unique servers will not survive in SA-MP. Players are too used to the fact that the gamemode tells you what the fuck you are and what the fuck you can do if you have chosen to be something, players don't realize some gamemodes just let them do what they want freely without some texts jumping out "type /selldrugstomike to sell drugs to Mike".

That is the bottom line buddy! True words. Mr Finn ! I think that says it all !

@Finn: Yes, you do understand. But I am thinking outside the box. What if you had a server that gives you super powers (City of Heroes or Marvel)? What if you made an alien invasion server? Tossing people in a meat grinder is only fun for so long and it becomes boring and routine.

@LeGGGeNNdA: No, I posted it here (out of the way) because this is just my opinion.

@GreenSt4lker: Sort of, I guess I would just like to see a healthy mix of both creativity and action. As I said, I only join 2 but checked out many servers. They all seem to do the same thing and use the same format. There was a zombie server and while I give it an A+ for creativity it got tired quick with less than 10 players online.

Thanks for your opinions gentlemen, I really appreciate you taking time to respond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn
View Post
Yes this is the thing that separates RP players and DM players, but today you can just join any RP server and play it as if it was a DM server because no one respects the true purpose of RP anymore.

When you RP you are not supposed to be expecting a shootout every 5 minutes, not even every 5 hours. You don't need to be expecting it at all, because RP is much more than just killing.
I am very satisfied to see that some people are actually aware of this. (:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMercury
View Post
@Finn: Yes, you do understand. But I am thinking outside the box. What if you had a server that gives you super powers (City of Heroes or Marvel)? What if you made an alien invasion server? Tossing people in a meat grinder is only fun for so long and it becomes boring and routine.

@LeGGGeNNdA: No, I posted it here (out of the way) because this is just my opinion.

@GreenSt4lker: Sort of, I guess I would just like to see a healthy mix of both creativity and action. As I said, I only join 2 but checked out many servers. They all seem to do the same thing and use the same format. There was a zombie server and while I give it an A+ for creativity it got tired quick with less than 10 players online.

Thanks for your opinions gentlemen, I really appreciate you taking time to respond.
There was a server TDM/RP/RPG kinda thing where you RP as gang members of Los Santos.. There would be shootouts,melee fights ect.. Playerbase was 40 players daily and at saturday and sunday 80.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMercury
View Post
The game we are playing is very limited when it comes to changing the whole scenario to something totally different. Even zombie servers feel strange because the zombies cannot be made properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [HLF]Southclaw
View Post
From my experience, the fundamental concept of role-play is almost lost in SA:MP. It should be about immersion, a lot of escapism and being free of restrictions that most games tend to put on the player. Now players are usually pretty creative at creating RP scenarios and it's usually the gameplay mechanics that are restrictive.
Yes.

Quote:
View Post
I believe the control of players should be left to two factors: the players themselves or the script. I don't want admins warping over to me and telling me what I can and can't do. The gameplay mechanics should dictate what is possible and what is not possible; streamline gameplay with clear feedback results in enjoyable experience. (Plus you don't need to rely on staff to keep players in order, humans make mistakes and argue.)
Well, that's how RP servers differ from normal servers; RP servers require the players to obey the basic rules of RPing so the gamemode or admins wouldn't need to get involved.

Quote:
View Post
People requested that my server be RP and I might actually do it but with a new angle to controlling players (at the moment, people kill on sight a lot and that's just the nature of the game). Some system that disables firearms but uses a wheel-menu/action-menu to allow players to interact and reach a certain level of in-character hostility before a shootout can start. Yes this sounds like it directly contradicts my first point about restrictiveness but I believe such a thing to force more interesting scenarios could result in the whole RP thing being more accessible (or forced...) on casual players who tend to kill on sight all the time; this results in more players enjoying the scenarios instead of just the role-players.
That would indeed be restrictive and that's why there are admins warping to you and telling not to kill everyone on sight all the time. Players should know that before they start playing in RP servers.