Whole new city

If a server was set in a whole new mapped city, would it be laggy for others? How come it's okay with normal cities, but not with mapped areas!

It might be laggy depending on their computer. Reasons being that user added objects need to stream which may slow down performance depending on the amount of objects. The same goes for vehicles. Not too sure about 3Dtextlabels or pickups but there's a possibility they may be affecting user performance aswell.

Furthermore, most parts of the normal cities are heavily optimized with LOD models and occluder areas, which are hard to do on custom islands.

At last, it also depends heavily on the machine the player plays on. If your PC can barely run GTA SA, it might run into troubles. If your PC can run Crysis 3 on the highest settings, you won't run into trouble any time soon, especially not with GTA SA.

A custom city may crash the client if there are too many objects.

Oh yes, we've experienced this in one of the projects I was a part of (PD) and it went unsolved. So, too much might crash/lag. And of course, the above posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajatPawar
View Post
A custom city may crash the client if there are too many objects.

Oh yes, we've experienced this in one of the projects I was a part of (PD) and it went unsolved. So, too much might crash/lag. And of course, the above posts.
Well, if you are using a streamer, there should never be more than 500 or 1000 objects right? My server has most of the time around 1000 objects loaded for each player (upped the Streamer Plugin's limit) with very high draw distances on most objects, but low draw distances on smaller ones like benches and fences. Besides some lagg on very slow PCs (which can barely run SA itself), nobody has ever experienced crashes. Some screenshots: 1, 2, 3.

I've looked at your project, and one of the problems I remember is that objects crash if you have placed them on a Z lower than -100.0. Maybe that was the problem in your project? Also, some other objects might be invalid and crash the client, although I have never pinpointed such object or had much problems with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basssiiie
View Post
Well, if you are using a streamer, there should never be more than 500 or 1000 objects right?
There weren't - we were using Incognito's, with a bit of modification using model sizes.

Quote:
View Post
My server has most of the time around 1000 objects loaded for each player (upped the Streamer Plugin's limit) with very high draw distances on most objects, but low draw distances on smaller ones like benches and fences. Besides some lagg on very slow PCs (which can barely run SA itself), nobody has ever experienced crashes. Some screenshots: 1, 2, 3.
I haven't taken a look at the SSs, but our city had a LOT of objects for the client to load as soon as the player spawned (I believe a bombarding of objects in the range of 1000s to the client's PC) - leading us to believe that the problem wasn't in the total number of objects, it was in the number of objects being loaded per unit time or whatever you want to call it. However this contradicts my below point

Quote:
View Post
I've looked at your project, and one of the problems I remember is that objects crash if you have placed them on a Z lower than -100.0. Maybe that was the problem in your project?
As for that, I've no idea - I could ask V1ceC1ty, who mapped the whole thing, but we've pretty much given up.

Quote:
View Post
Also, some other objects might be invalid and crash the client, although I have never pinpointed such object or had much problems with it.
That I can be sure of, there were NO invalid objects..

Even using a modified streaming snippet didn't do the trick! (which should've) (say the streamer loads 500 objects - ours loaded only 250, realistically)

OT: Sorry for going off - topic!

The object limit (1000 0.3z) shouldn't lag at all, but if you're using a streamer that is constantly creating and destroying objects, the server is single threaded, so the longer it takes for position/distance checks to do their job, the longer it will take for other vital server information to reach your players and they'll be de-synced.

I think Incognito does his position checks multi-threaded (via. plugin), though I'm not 100% sure cause I don't use it,
I made a streamer that streams objects based on the zone players are in to avoid constant position/distance checking and hectic object creating/destroying.

Quote:
View Post
I haven't taken a look at the SSs, but our city had a LOT of objects for the client to load as soon as the player spawned (I believe a bombarding of objects in the range of 1000s to the client's PC) - leading us to believe that the problem wasn't in the total number of objects, it was in the number of objects being loaded per unit time or whatever you want to call it. However this contradicts my below point
Well, the maps on my screenshots have lots of objects too, so my players get bombarded as well. Haven't heard anyone who had troubles with it. Sometimes people even get teleported back and forth between the islands on the screenshots and several (custom) interiors.

Quote:
View Post
That I can be sure of, there were NO invalid objects..
I remember someone stating that several objects cause problems when the draw distance is higher than 300.0. I can't really talk along on the topic of map crashes, because I just don't have experience with it, it barely happens to me. The only time is the one where objects (especially big ones) were located below -100.0 on the Z. But yeah, learning from each other is great and all, but let's get back on topic. :P

Well, as long as the stream distance to a range you know won't load 1000 objects, you should be fine, shouldn't you?

It depends on the objects, their model(ID's), if your using a streamer, if the player has mods, etc. The best method is just to try it out for yourself!