Why are you reading this?

So, first post on these boards today, having registered in 2007, and that got me thinking...

I'm intrigued from a community perspective as to why there are so many of us still here. As we all know, GTA:SA is the best part of a decade old, yet there are still a lot of the more aged members of the community who have stuck around all this time, and new players are still discovering SA:MP all the time.

What is it that made you stick around?

As for me, while I value the continued development by the SA:MP devs and server scripting teams, it's not really SA itself but the people I've met along the way that have been the biggest force in keeping me here. SA:MP was the first multiplayer game I ever played, back in the 0.1b days, and for those who joined back then when we were still "kiddies", it's pretty much grown up with us in that sense. From hanging out in cop teams on cops-and-robbers servers, to battling it out in destruction derbies, to endlessly crashing Hydras into invisible trees (my old graphics card was a bit shaky...) and doing a fair share of developing and administering along the way, it's the people behind the keyboards who I've encountered along the way that made it so much fun.

It's astonishing to me that SA:MP is still attracting decent people, but it's great to see that SA:MP hasn't gone the way of so many of its counterparts, reaching a peak and then falling off rapidly into nothingness. A lot of the credit for this needs to go to the dev team, but it's awesome that the community's still rocking.

What is it that's kept you here?

</emo>

GTA SA is one of the few games that support a proper roleplaying platform, IMO.

It's mainly the people for me too. I've met some amazing people through SA-MP, some of whom I have met in real life and are now my best friends, and I just love joining the forum and IRC when I'm bored (read: when I have something to do but don't want to do it)

I also just love the feel of the community as a whole, the fact that people are still coming up with new ideas for their servers after all this time, the fact that there is so much possibility for our servers which I've not seen in any other multiplayer game, the fact that it's constantly being updated and improved, the fact that it creates a great learning environment not only for Pawn, but for a lot of other things.without SA-MP I never would have found IRC which is where I learned sooo much more about I.T. and gained an interest in it. I also probably wouldn't be out of home yet, but now my roommate is an ex-samp player that I met through SA-MP :P

I just love everything about it , long live SA-MP <3