How did YOU start scripting?

Well i started hiring scripters and i got someone for free cause i didnt know how script so when he made me the gm he said that he needs help with the gm and i was like ok then i just learned it without even using samp wiki
thats the way i learned it and it helped me very much sadly i dont remember the scripter name but i would defently thank him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
Посмотреть сообщение
I seem to remember a similar topic.

Now, I realize how ironic this is going to sound, but I actually started through the godfather script. Basically dissecting different parts. Looking up unknown functions on the wiki along the way. It was a huge leap for me when I finally understood how format works.

After that, it was no longer a question about how it's done, but why it's done. This is a turning point. If you start questioning the abilities of the scripter and are able to do something in a better way then you've effectively outperformed said scripter.

It has to be said though: you require at least some logical insight. If you're completely new to any kind of programming, but don't realize within 10 minutes that a block of code starts with { and ends with } then you're not going to get very far. Other languages use keywords instead of braces, but the same principle applies.
Same. My first thing ever done was something like a /help command. I remember wondering why the hell it didn't work when I sent the lines but then I figured it had to do with a character limit. I got so happy when i finally got it working!

I must say as every college student that I really thank wikipedia for helping me on my journey.

I learned scripting at the same time I learned english. Infact I never scripted in my own language so I could use it as a complete ultimate practice. Hell it DID pay off.

I was a mapper for a server, and wanted to add some teleport points and gates

I originally scripted Visual Basic, and then later when I got into SA:MP just started playing around with PAWN. Basically taught myself.

As a total computer noob (I used to only know how to play RuneScape), I somehow managed to learn how to torrent GTA SA, but I couldn't figure out how to install SA:MP. After a few months, I tried it again, looked up what some terms meant ("directory" comes to mind), and installed SA:MP. After playing on servers like Awesome Stuntages and GamerX, I wanted to learn how to make these custom "games". I was 10 at the time (2009).

I read the wiki, downloaded simple scripts, and looked at tutorials.

After taking an Algebra class in middle school, variables and such became easy to understand.

Started by making myself an admin in a downloaded script, and go mad at being a high level admin. I still LOL at that.
Then started editing that very same script to how I liked it, starting by changing some client messages. Then started to copy things and create them in my own way, and now today, I can do much, wrote a full gamemode recently and some includes, though I havent released anything till date.

I downloaded the server package and opened PAWNO, it was really hard for me to see through. Then suddenly, I jumped over an application which took me somewhere I can't imagine. Then I saw numbers and letters everywhere! I tried writing some letters when suddenly I found a blue arrow button. I pressed it and started to spin so fast. Then I saw that a laser was moving over the letters and numbers. Soon something like "Error" jumped on me and I fainted. When I woke up, I saw myself on my bed....

Nice story huh?

Translating Godfather gamemode to polish, never read any tutorial.

I played a popular server for a while and half way through my time there, decided to try and make my own. Then, learnt a bit of the PAWN language and found it easy how to make maps too.

I started back in the summer of 2011. I remember the time off school was getting a bit boring, and creating a server was always something that appealed to me, so I tried it. Needless to say, I was put off a little bit by how difficult it was to understand it all, but I kept learning, trying new functions and eventually I became comfortable with how everything works.

Well the thing is... i never started scripting ._. still trying to though.

Well, I was in a server called Vampires, Werewolves, and Human Roleplay. The script was so unique, and it was my type of server. So, I said to myself "Wow.. I wanna make my own server like this." and when I got the things I needed, I didn't understand anything, nor did I know anything about scripting.

What's sad, is that I still continue to try and script, but I learn differently then others. It is hard to learn, and it's confusing. I am still struggling to learn to script, and I will do exactly that.

I started in early 2008 when I was bored of Argonath RPG and I was invited to play on a Hungarian RP server, after a while the server closed so I started to make my own one. Now I'm making random filterscripts / gamemodes so there's always something that keeps me going

I used to play on a server named [DS] since then i wanted to make a server of my own of that kind and started to learn scripting from ******* and tutorials on sa-mp forums.

I was tired of looking for a decent/good scripter so i just started learning myself :P

I don't remember.

Started reading game modes and it seemed easy and I got use to it.