[Tutorial] Mental Scripting Preparation | You Can Do It!

~What Is This Tutorial About?~
This tutorial is aimed towards those who wants to begin scripting in SA-MP. There's hundreds of tutorials about how you code and where you get resources needed but never have I seen a tutorial on how to mentally prepare yourself for scripting. This is a very important topic that needs to be covered for beginners who seek guidance. With the right mindset one will learn ten times more than without it. The purpose of the tutorial is to make it easier for new people to get started.

Chapter 1 | We Have All Been There

One of the hardest things I encountered when I started with scripting SA-MP was the fact that I felt inferior compared to other scripters. I always attempted to do exactly like the "High rollers" and "Gangsters" on the forums did and sometimes made things complicated for no valid reason. Instead you should walk your own path and firstly make sure that it works and that you learn. You won't be as good as the other scripters at the beginning and that's okay. The most important thing after all is that you enjoy it. With this being said, you should still be open-minded and take constructive criticism into account. Never let anyone give you bullshit for what you've created, we all have done stupid things including ****** and other celebrities of the SA-MP world. Heck, I even bet that Kalcor have done a few stupid things!

Chapter 2 | Scripting Is Easy

Another common mistake that people do when learning (not only when it comes to scripting) is to over-complicate things. If you always have this mindset telling you "Oh this is so hard" then it will never be easy. If you think about something logically and persuade yourself into thinking it's easy you often find the right key to the right door. I can tell you here and now that I could do anything as long as the engine don't limit me, and you can do the same! The fact that it takes time and requires a lot of patience and time is another thing...

Chapter 3 | Relax, Take It Easy!

You opt to fail if you rush through things. Developing skills require a lot of effort and patience from you. A motto I often use is to learn one thing per day if anything. The idea of this motto is that if you always should develop your skills, even if just a little. Heck, read one of the pages on the Wiki and you have done enough for that day! In a year you'd have covered 365 pages on the Wiki, that's not bad now is it? Just never give up on your dreams.

Chapter 4 | Choose Your Path

Never would I be where I am today if I did not prioritize things in life. You might be able to work on multiple projects at once (I know I can) but keep in mind that you should always have a hierarchy in your head on all projects you're working on. You might for instance have school as your number one priority, a SA-MP server secondly and learning Android's SDK as the third option. Since the school is above SA-MP and Android development you should always make sure that you finish your homework before you continue working on your SA-MP server.

Chapter 5 | Enjoy Your Time

If you ever feel like taking a break then please do so. Forcing yourself to do something will end in a disaster. This is a rule of thumb related to not only SA-MP but life in general. Just don't forget about the project, you have to find a good balance. In the end it does not matter what I type here, but I have given you all the tips I can and now it's up to you to decide if you want to do it. All I can say is,

You Can Have Whatever You Like

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQJACVmankY[/ame]

To Be Updated

This... should be stickied for real.

stick that post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlonzoTorres
View Post
Chapter 5 | Enjoy Your Time

If you ever feel like taking a break then please do so. Forcing yourself to do something will end in a disaster. This is a rule of thumb related to not only SA-MP but life in general. In the end it does not matter what I type here, but I have given you all the tips I can and now it's up to you to decide if you want to do it. All I can say is,
I'm going to have to disagree on this point because I feel like taking a break all the time but the reason I get things done is because I force myself to keep going even when I don't want to or am losing my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [uL]Pottus
View Post
I'm going to have to disagree on this point because I feel like taking a break all the time but the reason I get things done is because I force myself to keep going even when I don't want to or am losing my mind.
Yes, it is a question of balance. However, for beginners they should only script if they enjoy it and not force themselves to do it. In the end you have to be disciplined to succeed. Added this to the tutorial. Thank you for your input.

Wow, I agree on all these chapters. Nice topic!

Hierarchy? Do homework? Sir, SA-MP above all.

Joking, in most cases. Lovely emotional guide.

Nice, very Good post.

You sir are a genius.

Very useful!

WTF! 13 Hours but still not sticked this topic yet?!

You really are a genius. Where are all the beta testers when we need one?

Nice... I guess... - It's odd seeing a tutorial that actually doesn't explain HOW to script something... But why YOU should be able to... Anyway, nice job. Because you did a good job I guess I'll be giving you reputation...

Enjoy and keep up the good work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownOwner
View Post
WTF! 13 Hours but still not sticked this topic yet?!

You really are a genius. Where are all the beta testers when we need one?
it doesn't need to be stickied, and anyone can write an opinion on how one should prep themselves(no mean to discredit you op!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ada32
View Post
it doesn't need to be stickied, and anyone can write an opinion on how one should prep themselves(no mean to discredit you op!)
Perhaps it could be added to the list of useful tutorials. I don't care as long as people are able to find the tutorial easily. I think it's an important topic for beginners.

Amazing Is really nice, thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterK
View Post
Amazing Is really nice, thx
Thanks everyone for the feedback given.

Not bad at all thanks

name them steps...not chapters..

Anyhow...pretty helpfull

Thanks for the tutorial, I feel more at ease when I'm learning new things.

Helped alot, I've learnt alot of new things.. too bad it's consuming precious time that could of been spent more wisely