Server Hosting?

Hey guys,

I was wondering if starting a hosting company would be a good idea. I'm not going to get a bunch of vps's and call it a host.

But is it worth starting? I can get a dedicated server for 150 a month with 16gb of ram 1gb uplink and 1gb of ddos mitigation but do people actually buy it?

1gb as in 1 gigabyte or 1 gigabit?

Many attacks surpasses even 1gb protection however, a botnet would destroy that.

Last ddos against ND reached 25gbit/s

(1gigabyte per second = 8 gigabit per second)

It doesn't only depend on the hardware you have, but also on how good you are in management. Are you able to manage a hosting company? Also, the website. If the website isn't appealing, people might choose to go to another host.
If you're talking only about the hardware, if it's good enough, I'd say that it looks good to start with. The DDoS mitigation is a nice extra.
I wish you the best of luck if you decide to start one!

Do you know how to manage servers and deal with clients?

You will have lots of months where you lose money, so have at least 1k to start. You need to also take into account the cost of TCAdmin and WHMCS, another 16$ a month. The cost of web/reseller hosting as well.

IMO there are more than enough hosters. Always think about why people should go with yours, a new, unknown hoster with no special prices or experience, instead of the elaborated ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_Crawford
View Post
Hey guys,

I was wondering if starting a hosting company would be a good idea. I'm not going to get a bunch of vps's and call it a host.

But is it worth starting? I can get a dedicated server for 150 a month with 16gb of ram 1gb uplink and 1gb of ddos mitigation but do people actually buy it?
Haven't you done this like 10 times lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLinx
View Post
Haven't you done this like 10 times lol
You read my mind there lol

Nope,

I've only done free server hosting in the past; i was asked why do i give it away when it runs so well. So it just got me thinking, why do i? Hence here i am.

These threads make a tiny part inside me die.

It wouldn't be good idea to start traditional hosting. Most of the developers are moving to cloud these days, I'd suggest you "docker.io". If you are doing this for money then simply don't, do it for a cause/necessity.