Benefits of learning C.

Are there any benefits or uses for C this day and age? Is it still used?
I have previous experience of game development with C++, but I think I need to know the rots of all programing languages. Since C has influences all programming languages. It it worth learning?

Any language is useful, look to pawn for example, its really old language, and yet its being used in SAMP and CS
Only language which is not worth to learn is pascal, but even that language give you basic knowledge.

There are none, learn python.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shetch
View Post
Since C has influences all programming languages. It it worth learning?
If it has influence in major programming languages, yes please!

C is the grandfather of all languages, and it is so good in fact that it stood the test of time. (It was created in the 70's). It's still a really great and useful language to learn.

C# and Java are also really good and similar languages too. I like the language of C# better but don't like the fact that it's more bound to Windows unlike Java which is completely multiform.

C++ is just good all around and used in most professional environments.

My recommendation: learn all

Quote:
View Post
Are there any benefits or uses for C this day and age? Is it still used?
I have previous experience of game development with C++, but I think I need to know the rots of all programing languages. Since C has influences all programming languages. It it worth learning?
Not really, the only used C languages are C# and C++ and maybe F#.
That's my opinion.

C++ is a computer language. The advantage of learning it - you can be able to create computer programs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y_Less
View Post
That's ridiculously wrong, but anyway...

C is good for raw performance, which is very rarely needed today. I'd suggest sticking with something higher-level: C#, Python, PHP, depending on what you are doing.

Learning C as an exercise to understand low-level PC details is OK, but if you want a language to really stretch your brain - I suggest Haskell. It is nothing like anything you have seen before (unless you know F#, mentioned above). Getting your head around this will take quite a while to begin with, but once you do it will change the way you look at all other programs for the better - believe me!
That was kind of my idea behind this. I just wanted to see who's behind all modern languages. Had a look at Haskell's syntax, looks very different from what I've seen before. I might actually start learning it. I do know C# and PHP already. Python has been a language I have wanted to learn for a while now, but haven really gotten around to it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Einstein
View Post
Forget about C. Learn Java. In this day and age Java is more useful and more fun to learn.
Java in my opinion is very slow compared to other modern languages. I do know a bit of java already, but I do not plan on using it in the furute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y_Less
View Post
^ Pretty much this.

Anyway, luckly I just found a link to an introduction article on C:

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/cdescent/

It may be good, it may not - it looks OK though.
I found the book written by Dennis Ritchie himself, so I think I'll read through that aswell.
http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/~buoni/cs16/T...g_Language.pdf

If anyone was wondering, I'll list some of the languages I already know moderately well.
  • PHP
  • JavaScript
  • C++
  • C#
  • PAWN
HTML and CSS aswell, but those aren't really languages.

Quote:
View Post
Java in my opinion is very slow compared to other modern languages. I do know a bit of java already, but I do not plan on using it in the furute
I think you are just being a follower to old myths, you don't seem very well rounded in your knowledge about Java, and instead are throwing your opinions around hoping others believe it.

Do some research before you start throwing your opinions around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memoryz
View Post
I think you are just being a follower to old myths, you don't seem very well rounded in your knowledge about Java, and instead are throwing your opinions around hoping others believe it.

Do some research before you start throwing your opinions around.
I never said I was. And I honestly don't care if anyone belives me or not, I'm just saying that there are faster languages out there. C++ for example, which is not a myth. It is a fact.
http://benchmarksgame.alioth.debian....=gcc&data=u64q

Anyway, I'm not here to fight over Java.