PlayStation Now

Quote:

Feeling sad that you can't play old PlayStation games on your brand-new PlayStation 4?

Cheer up! On Tuesday, PS4 maker Sony announced a new service that will enable owners of its latest console to play old PlayStation games. Called PlayStation Now, the service will provide instant access to classic games for the PS1, PS2 and PS3 across a wide range of devices including PlayStation 4, Vita, mobile devices and many of Sony's Bravia televisions.

The announcement, made in Las Vegas at the Consumer Electronics trade show, comes little more than a year after Sony acquired cloud gaming service Gaikai for $380 million in July 2012, fueling speculation that the company would create a streaming network of PS 2 games on PS 3 and Vita.

- Article Link

What do you think about this? Will be it successful?

My thoughts on this is that the first weeks of this service which is set to launch this summer 2014 will encounter problems such as connection problems. It will be a great addition to us PlayStation gamers especially on the vita since it doesn't have a great variety of games.

Another way to re-sell older games again? They should have just made the PS4 backwards-compatible so that my PS1 and PS2 games aren't just dust collectors, that would have made me actually want to get a new console. That and GTA V for next-gen.

It would get successful because, it is running the old console games.. How would it fail?

It looks interesting, but i am still unsure about it.

The first generation fat PS3 were backward compatible (still have one). They probably scrapped that feature to sell more games on PSN. Now they intend to re-add that feature in one way or another and act like it's some big news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
Посмотреть сообщение
The first generation fat PS3 were backward compatible (still have one). They probably scrapped that feature to sell more games on PSN. Now they intend to re-add that feature in one way or another and act like it's some big news.
The old ps3 had a ps2 built into it, hence the ridiculous price tag.

The PS4 is some powerful computer. Running PS1 and 2 games in an emulator would be absolutely no problem, Id guess it wont be long till the first custom emulators for this get released. But this wouldnt bring in extra money. Playstation Now sounds like a big money source. Cloud gaming is nice, but wouldnt surprise me if theyd even abuse this to make people pay per hour, instead of buying a game once.
Getting old games back is nice, but the way they do it really isnt. If I had a PS4, id rather stack up my old PS1 and PS2, instead of paying for my games again.

That's fantastic news!

I always wonder when these threads come up, am I the only one who doesn't throw away their old consoles? I have a perfectly working PS2, so why would I need a backwards compatible PS3? (Assuming your console isn't broken)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauzen
Посмотреть сообщение
The PS4 is some powerful computer. Running PS1 and 2 games in an emulator would be absolutely no problem, Id guess it wont be long till the first custom emulators for this get released. But this wouldnt bring in extra money. Playstation Now sounds like a big money source. Cloud gaming is nice, but wouldnt surprise me if theyd even abuse this to make people pay per hour, instead of buying a game once.
Getting old games back is nice, but the way they do it really isnt. If I had a PS4, id rather stack up my old PS1 and PS2, instead of paying for my games again.
You'll be able to rent titles individually or pay for a subscription.
Quote:

We want to offer you choice when it comes to how you want to access content on PS Now, so you will be able to rent by title for specific games you are interested in. We’ll also offer a subscription that will enable you to explore a range of titles.

It's kind of like OnLive (which failed and has gone bankrupt several times now..) on consoles
I guess they'll have something similar to OnLive's PlayPack where it would include a pack of playstation games that have been popular on PS3, PS2 and PS1.
The connection requirement for this service is a 5mbps connection; I'm not sure if it's upload or download speed but on OnLive it was the download speed that was required to be 5mbps so I'm assuming it's download on PlayStation Now as well.