What are the odds you will buy a map for your server?

Hi!

I am interested to know how many of you will actually buy a map. This is something far more greater than a stupid question which in time hopefully will take the shape of an online business profitable and safe for both mappers and server owners who wish to buy custom stuffs.

I am talking about professional and custom created maps for your needs not every stuff you find on the internet available 24/7 for 10.000 servers.

Just answer with a number from 1 to 10 and a simple simple explanation if you don't want:
1 - No, i hate mappers.
5 - Maybe, if the map is good enough.
10 - Yes!

// If this is the wrong place to post, a moderator should move the topic.
// Sorry for my sissy english!

If someone can make something that they want to charge people for, the chances are someone can make it for free, probably not to the exact same standards etc, but it will mean I won't have to pay :P

1. I don't hate mappers, I would never pay for a map however.

I don't understand why people do buy maps, why would you buy a map while there are shitload of free mappers and mapping ain't so hard just practice and put some effort and it'll look all good.

why would you buy maps when you can learn to map on Multi Theft auto or The Online Map Editer
Or a Map Editor Script

Well if someone is sure about himself that he's a really good at mapping and could map anyhing what payer ordered, then there wont be any problem. People want to buy maps and can't made them by themsleves,because not experienced in that, or they're always busy with other stuff, or just lazy to map one. Mapping is really easy, if you learn and practice with a patient,you just can't learn it fast in one day. Ofcourse i do believe if someone will order you to map a huge island,which could take alot of time, then you could ask for that to pay.

Buy a map? This might work for the generic deathmatch server, but not for the kind of servers Id run.
If you cant map yourself, get a mapper for your team. But buying maps from some external guys just ruins the gameplay feeling as external guys cant know the servers setting good enough.
If the server doesnt have any setting at all, it probably isnt worth playing on it, so I dont consider that case.

Also people always refer to "my server". How is it your server, if half of it is just bought from some guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauzen
Посмотреть сообщение
Buy a map? This might work for the generic deathmatch server, but not for the kind of servers Id run.
If you cant map yourself, get a mapper for your team. But buying maps from some external guys just ruins the gameplay feeling as external guys cant know the servers setting good enough.
If the server doesnt have any setting at all, it probably isnt worth playing on it, so I dont consider that case.

Also people always refer to "my server". How is it your server, if half of it is just bought from some guy?
It's never /your/ server. It's yours if you keep a password on it and play in it alone, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniceMcHarley
Посмотреть сообщение
why would you buy a map while there are shitload of free mappers and mapping ain't so hard just practice and put some effort and it'll look all good.
To be perfectly honest, I don't really like most of the maps that are being released here, with a few exceptions. If it contains more than three animated objects from the "special" category I will automatically classify it as "bad". Those white-blue-red lightpoles also seem to be a favorite, but they don't fit any scene whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
Посмотреть сообщение
To be perfectly honest, I don't really like most of the maps that are being released here, with a few exceptions. If it contains more than three animated objects from the "special" category I will automatically classify it as "bad". Those white-blue-red lightpoles also seem to be a favorite, but they don't fit any scene whatsoever.
I can see where your coming from most of the maps released these days are not really that good however there is one now and again that is good. Out of most people here I think your impressions have significant weight over most other posters so when you say what you've said mappers really need to think a little more seriously about what they're doing.