Devin just snapped

Well, it looks like Devin just snapped after Mafia City RP obtained the latest script including all there newest updates, even the hunger games event. This is what NGG stated:

Next Generation Gaming will begin to evaluate ALL copyright claims on all servers. This includes, but is not limited, to Teamspeak Icons, Forums, Scripts, and images of Next Generation Gaming. If you are aware of a Server/Community using NGG’s copyrighted material in any way shape or form, send an email to copycat@ng-gaming.net After reporting such copyright breaches to copycat@ng-gaming.net, a reward of up to $20 shop credit will be rewarded to the first reporter. The shop credit reward does not apply to instances of copyright breaches that have previously been reported.

What do you guys think?

nothing for me to worry about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abagail
View Post
Teamspeak Icons,
First time in the world 16x16 pixels are that valuable.

Sounds like 70% of RP servers on SAMP are about to be sued :L

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartD
View Post
Sounds like 70% of RP servers on SAMP are about to be sued :L
You got that right! The majority of new servers these days are NGRP Edits.

Hah, now everbody will just start running homehosted NG-servers only to report their own server and receive shop credit.

On another note: you have a really bad developers team / script storage system if these files leaked AGAIN. Maybe they have to consider fixing the leaking sewage-pipe first before cleaning all the poo off the walls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamer T
View Post
First time in the world 16x16 pixels are that valuable.
No, it's not. Copyrights are there for a reason, especially when the material was originally made by a staff member at NG:RP.

Hopefully, now we will be having something you can actually call a unique script. Yes, there will be people who will just keep using the NGG edit even after being black-listed, but you know what they say, "Hater's gonna hate".

Good, I don't have to see NGG edits flooding the masterlist anymore!

On a second note, it's great to see action being taken upon this. NGG did attempt this a few years ago when the script was first leaked, but servers still used it so obviously it didn't work out so well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny.
View Post
On another note: you have a really bad developers team / script storage system if these files leaked AGAIN. Maybe they have to consider fixing the leaking sewage-pipe first before cleaning all the poo off the walls.
I've given this some thought before and it sounds like it is quite inevitable. Can be avoided by having a great community-driven team on your server. As soon as money becomes involved (I'm talking all this real life money shop feature this server has, etc.), relations tend to get unstable in the leading team. No matter what the money is intended for, either server bills or Friday night at the pub, stuff will get f**ked.

In the Internet world evolving around SA-MP, I don't see this avoided in any way other than working alone, avoiding the monetizing pitfall or drafting up and having your coders sign contracts which, taking into consideration the laws of whichever countries involved, would mean the right to legally pursue a fee once the coder leaks the code. Of course the latter is something I have not seen in practice and if someone was to pull that contract requirement on me while I'd just want to code (for free) for a community, I'd be scared and rather not participate. Even with the contract in place, given the difficulties of enforcing it if something goes wrong, I think any developer in charge of a server is better off developing their code on their own.

As to extra reasons why certain code is better off developed by only one developer... there are a few I'd name regarding coding styles, efficiency, design ideas and principles. Honestly I have not once seen a SA-MP server team constructing a long-term team of developers that works as a one cohesive unit.

So a protip for any future 1000/1000 player server owner reading this: have me work out your contracts if you're rich OR work on your gamemode "core" code yourself (why not let others do some of the dirty work). Let others do stuff like graphics, videos, media, SEO, advertising, website setup, website coding, etc - bad guys are less interested in this stuff if your community name is all over it.

If this was written AFTER someone already used NGRP edit && (and) if the users of an NGRP edit has received the script in a legal way, NGRP can NOT sue them as they wrote the license AFTERWARDS. This is why you cannot play most games after an update on their game where you either have to accept or deny the newest license. Legaue of Legends or World of Warcraft for instance. They have this every new patch, you have to accept to play the game. However in the world we live in SA-MP the people who got the ngrp edit legally before they wrote this message/license should not worry as they "accepted" the license that was at the time being.

Let's take an example with iTunes instead. I'm not a fan of it so I don't usually update it. If in version 0.1 it said: "You have to say hello to 10 people every day!", and I install it. Then a new update comes but I still have version 0.1 and in the version 0.2 it states: "You have to give us 1000 billions of dollars." I will only have to greet 10 people every day and not have to pay 1000 billions of dollars.

Goofy example but you get the concept.

Source: My college teachers.

I however do NOT know if there was a legal way of obtaining the ngrp script before they stated this, I just said "IF" there was. Then I would also like to know where they stated this message. :P If they published a version of NGRP edit, they have to include a license WITH the script.

And it would be kind of hard actually proving it is an edit or not as the scripters could have just redone it.

If somebody stole something you spent a lot of effort on, you'd do the same thing.

Considering how many guys are using their stuff, they could really get back all their copyright fees and extra profit from the penalty payments.
Though I doubt that any lawyer would care a lot about some kids using each other's images.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansrutger
View Post
If this was written AFTER someone already used NGRP edit && (and) if the users of an NGRP edit has received the script in a legal way, NGRP can NOT sue them as they wrote the license AFTERWARDS. This is why you cannot play most games after an update on their game where you either have to accept or deny the newest license. Legaue of Legends or World of Warcraft for instance. They have this every new patch, you have to accept to play the game. However in the world we live in SA-MP the people who got the ngrp edit legally before they wrote this message/license should not worry as they "accepted" the license that was at the time being.
The special thing about ngg is that they actually copyrighted their stuff a while ago. Copyright is universal and any other license info is optional and doesnt matter.

It is actually there fault the script got leaked... It's kinda awful how they can sue you for something they fucked up on... But yet, they are shutting down a lot of communities, because of their fuck-up in the script being leaked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abagail
View Post
It is actually there fault the script got leaked... It's kinda awful how they can sue you for something they fucked up on... But yet, they are shutting down a lot of communities, because of their fuck-up in the script being leaked.
I doubt they copyrighted the script itself, as this would be void. Was already discussed several times why you cant copyright a samp script.

Quote:
View Post

Let's take an example with iTunes instead. I'm not a fan of it so I don't usually update it. If in version 0.1 it said: "You have to say hello to 10 people every day!", and I install it. Then a new update comes but I still have version 0.1 and in the version 0.2 it states: "You have to give us 1000 billions of dollars." I will only have to greet 10 people every day and not have to pay 1000 billions of dollars.

Goofy example but you get the concept.

Source: My college teachers.

I however do NOT know if there was a legal way of obtaining the ngrp script before they stated this, I just said "IF" there was. Then I would also like to know where they stated this message. :P If they published a version of NGRP edit, they have to include a license WITH the script.

And it would be kind of hard actually proving it is an edit or not as the scripters could have just redone it.
What are you on about? The copyright license has been in the source since day one.

I personally spent over 200+ hours working on this script, I agree with Devin's decision. How would you feel if your work would of been leaked without your permission?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauzen
View Post
Copyright is universal and any other license info is optional and doesnt matter.
Very true and at the same time not true. If they did officially posted their script somewhere, they are basically saying in legal terms: "Welcome to use our script." And this is where the license stuffs comes in. The copyright just says that the person or the NGG team do own the script, but if they decide to publish it copyright is not valid anymore, depending on what license they have.

But all this -IF THEY THEMSELVES- posted an official publish of their script. If this was done illegally and someone leaked, it's the leakers fault. I searched on the forums and I don't really see any NGG release so I am taking it as that someone leaked it, then yes they may sue etc.

Then they have to ask themselves, is it worth suing someone? Because suing someone, of what I have heard in US at least, it costs money. Not sure if 100% true though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViruZz
View Post
What are you on about? The copyright license has been in the source since day one.

I personally spent over 200+ hours working on this script, I agree with Devin's decision. How would you feel if your work would of been leaked without your permission?
Like I said before, I do not have knowledge of it, I am just posting the knowledge I have on licenses and copyright. What are you on about lol? :P Don't be so angry

EDIT: Since you edit your post I have to edit mine -.-'. I never said that NGG was right or wrong about it, I just stated some facts. Please chill I am not saying they are doing right with this or wrong. Jeez'. I bet you didn't even read my first sentence properly:
Quote:

If this was written AFTER someone already used NGRP edit && (and) if the users of an NGRP edit has received the script in a legal way[...]

Quote:
View Post
Very true and at the same time not true. If they did officially posted their script somewhere, they are basically saying in legal terms: "Welcome to use our script." And this is where the license stuffs comes in. The copyright just says that the person or the NGG team do own the script, but if they decide to publish it copyright is not valid anymore, depending on what license they have.

But all this -IF THEY THEMSELVES- posted an official publish of their script. If this was done illegally and someone leaked, it's the leakers fault. I searched on the forums and I don't really see any NGG release so I am taking it as that someone leaked it, then yes they may sue etc.

Then they have to ask themselves, is it worth suing someone? Because suing someone, of what I have heard in US at least, it costs money. Not sure if 100% true though.

Like I said before, I do not have knowledge of it, I am just posting the knowledge I have on licenses and copyright. What are you on about lol? :P Don't be so angry

EDIT: Since you edit your post I have to edit mine -.-'. I never said that NGG was right or wrong about it, I just stated some facts. Please chill I am not saying they are doing right with this or wrong. Jeez'. I bet you didn't even read my first sentence properly:
I'm relaxed, don't even worry about it. But, I'm just proving a point to some people that doesn't know the back end of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViruZz
View Post
I'm relaxed, don't even worry about it. But, I'm just proving a point to some people that doesn't know the back end of this.
Nah' I totally agree that NGG should have justice over this, leaking is a serious crime and should not happen, but sadly it happens. :/