MySQL - New value which wasn't in the column before

Hi!

I would liek to create a telephone system for my RPG mode.I used dini for saving,and I made the phonenumber system for dini.But nwo I use MySQL,and I would like to get a script which generates a 5 digit phonenumber,which wasn't in the column before.(=Every phonenumber is unique)
You don't have to write it for me,but I need help.
Thaks for your further help.

You could use the auto increment feature. Though this means that all numbers will be sequential which could possibly be exploited. You could also use a Unix timestamp, although I can't guarantee that it will be unique if you only want to extract 5 digits.

Yes,the auto increment would be very easy to use,but it wouldn't be realistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TudvariHUN
Посмотреть сообщение
Yes,the auto increment would be very easy to use,but it wouldn't be realistic.
You could write a simple query that generates a random number that isn't in the database yet. Note that, because 5 digits will only run from 00000 to 99999 that this is not a good solution when you have a lot of users. I'd say after 5-10K users you will need to rethink this tactic and move to 6 or 7 digit numbers.

The query could be:
PHP код:
SELECT FLOOR(RAND() * 99999) AS random_generated_number
FROM my_table
WHERE random_generated_number NOT IN 
(

SELECT phone_number
    FROM my_table
)
LIMIT 1 
What this does is, it will return a set of randomly generated numbers (between 0 and 99999 because RAND() returns a double from 0 to 1) that are not already in my_table. LIMIT 1 means it will limit the set to the first occurence.

More here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4...ber-generation