"do not insult/flame" as a rule?!

why do server owners use "do not insult/flame" as a rule? i mean;

if they cant take the words(insult/flame), then they should have completely uninstall this game.

Server is one thing, they got their own purpose & rules that's why. Due to the fact, this is internet & everyone will turn against them-self & flame each other, so the server will be spammed with "Fuck you, screw you, you are hole..lol u mad fag" or something.

It's not so much that they can't take seeing such words/phrases, it's the fact that people use those words against others. You wouldn't like it if I told you to "Fuck yourself" for no reason at all would you? Those kind of rules are simply there to keep the community together, and hopefully to keep it a friendly community.

I think, it is for better server image creating. Polite and friendly players in server attract good-nature players to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burridge
View Post
It's not so much that they can't take seeing such words/phrases, it's the fact that people use those words against others. You wouldn't like it if I told you to "Fuck yourself" for no reason at all would you? Those kind of rules are simply there to keep the community together, and hopefully to keep it a friendly community.
Exactly, thats what I was going to talk about, you dont want to join a crappy community where you just join and they keep insulting you for no reason, you did nothing and they insult you? Thats the point of the rule.

When it comes to a single player game, we experience profanity much differently then we would from other players around the globe. Single player games already have these swear words and insults or curses already scripted in them; it's part of the journey in which the player completes the game. In GTA's case it would be deemed unusual not to have any swearing so it also factors in as a part of the immersion. Now in online communities; where players are there playing with each other, there is no valid reason to insult each other; it should be kept civil. When roleplaying there is no problem with swearing IC but you can't be randomly hurling insults everywhere you go because:

1) When you hop onto a server, you want your first few moments to be pleasant. How would you feel if someone just ran up to you and insulted you; it doesn't make sense. It doesn't contribute to the experience. It's childish.

2) These people who go around insulting and inflicting pain on other people also tarnish the server's reputation. I would rather play on a server where I can be friends with the other players I game with, rather than engaging in unnecessary insult hurling.

Plus if this game is designed for 17+ - We should at least be at a mature enough level to not be insulting everyone we see for no reason. Look at other gaming communities and so on. On X-Box Live; go send someone a private message with a chain of insults and see where that takes you.

It is a warning for content which is in the official game.
Servers which are part of the unofficial mod are totally different thing, so are the rules.
But you should be more polite in online society, being afraid of using those words outside doesn't mean you should be using them online.
Besides, you should feel ashamed of yourself for swearing infront of children.

People need to understand the meaning of the word community, and it's purpose as well.

Thats a good rule to keep community together, if that rule wouldnt be, 2 kids would start insulting each other and the whole chat would be spammed by 2 kids insulting each other's family. And yeah, lot of players would leave. No one likes a community that allows insulting, im sure about this.

Its about the way people treat each other. Also called social norms. When cooperating with someone else in a positive way, it wouldnt help at all to insult others, because it ruins their relationship (cooperation can also be competing in two opposing teams) A game should be fun, and not an annoying bunch of premature guys yelling at each other.
Insulting another "character" though is something different. It should be all fine to offend the character of someone else as part of RP, because this doesnt attack the player himself.

Its the same in singleplayer. Sure it contains strong language, but just spoken by/to ingame character. I dont think GTA would have become so famous, if the first line you get to read when starting the game is "fook you mofo'ing assbitchy player, thanks for being stupid enough to buy this game"