Your scripting Pet Peeves

This thread is not to try and bash other people's scripting methods, but post here, What scripting things to you see that absolutely annoy you?

I would have to say mine is this
pawn Code:
CMD:mycommand(playerid, params[])
{
    #pragma unused params
    //rest of code
}

Defining 9001 colors and only using 4.

pawn Code:
#define COLOR1 0x5515551FF
#define COLOR2 0x4545455FF
#define COLOR3 0x7757878FF
#define COLOR4 0x5959559FF
#define COLOR5 0x3434543FF
#define COLOR6 0x5646545FF
#define COLOR7 0x1234546FF
#define COLOR8 0x7964546FF
#define COLOR9 0x5484163FF
#define COLOR10 0x1244915FF
also, using 500 different saving engines.

pawn Code:
#include dini
#include Y_INI
#include SII
#include MySQL
And those HUGE 1,000+ line commands. JUST WHY.

EDIT: Got even more

pawn Code:
#define PID playerid
#define SCM SendClientMessage

Hungarian notation annoys me to no end, especially when used by people that have no idea what it's supposed to represent. They're just putting 'sz' in front of everything.

To a lesser extent: code that is crammed together. Congratulations, you just saved yourself some kilobytes. Please use more whitespace. Within a command, I personally tend to insert blank lines to separate the different conditions.

I hate the K&R indentation style. It looks so messy IMO.

K&R:

Allman:

These examples are a bit silly, but they show what I'm talking about; it's MUCH clearer to see which compound block is attached to which if()/switch()/case in allman. The allman code is slightly longer (as each opening bracket is on a new line), but I really do think it is 10x easier to read.

In addition to this, it's very annoying when people (or a team of people) don't stick to one indentation style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
View Post
code that is crammed together. Congratulations, you just saved yourself some kilobytes. Please use more whitespace. Within a command, I personally tend to insert blank lines to separate the different conditions.
This, definitely. I space out my commands a LOT. I just find it easier to find issues or update the code later.

God I cant stand K&R. I never new the name of scripting styles, but all my scripts have to be strictly Allman, no compression, no variation, otherwise my scripting OCD kicks in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerotactics
View Post
God I cant stand K&R. I never new the name of scripting styles, but all my scripts have to be strictly Allman, no compression, no variation, otherwise my scripting OCD kicks in.
yes, so true. ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP2
View Post
I hate the K&R indentation style. It looks so messy IMO.
In your K&R image you could still remove the brackets of the case labels

But I think the most annoying thing here are the people who can't use search, debug the code, take criticism and so on, that isn't related to any age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mionee
View Post
Defining 9001 colors and only using 4.
also, using 500 different saving engines.

pawn Code:
#include dini
#include Y_INI
#include SII
#include MySQL
I actually use both INI and MySQL. INI for gamemode configuration. MySQL for player data and bans.

Something from me:

- HUUUUUGE variables when they are not needed:
pawn Code:
new name[MAX_PLAYER_NAME+1];
new str[256]; // -___-

GetPlayerName(playerid, name, MAX_PLAYER_NAME);
format(str, sizeof(str), "Your name is: %s", name);
SendClientMessage(playerid, -1, str);
-Code indentation... It's hard to press tab key?
-Using old stuff like dini, strcmp for commands etc.
-Doing this:
pawn Code:
new var;
new var1;
new var2;
new var3;
new var4;
new var5;
new var6;
Instead of:
pawn Code:
new var[7];

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmet_
View Post
enumerated arrays have a few extra assembly instructions. Both are identical in ... performance.
More instructions = more time to execute = slower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiddos
View Post
People who use INI systems in general
I mean just learn the file functions ;__;
I MASSIVELY disagree with this! Abstractions are there for a reason, if you don't like them code everything in RAW assembly (and I don't mean memonics, those are too nice an abstraction). You could use raw file functions, but INI systems take away a lot of the complexity (and bugs - Godfather had bugs where users could get a higher admin level because of their use of raw files).