Pokemon server suggestion

Hello everyone, I don't know if anyone remembers me, but I am somewhat back from a very long SA-MP hiatus ! I wanted to make this my first "welcome back" post because Its something that I honestly think would be amazing, and its something I regret not doing myself. I am suggesting someone makes a pokemon server. Now, it's been a LONG time since I have left, so forgive me if someone has already done this, or has suggested this already lol. I am not current at all in server features, so for all I know, this could already have been done; hell, it might be much simpler now with all the updates i missed. I just know that people used to always request unique server ideas, so I thought I would share one that I would love seeing come to life.

I had a very small bit of this server done myself, once. My goal was to basically recreate the pokemon red version (to the best of my ability, given limitations). The only problem was that my team was really small to begin with, and then it eventually ended up being just myself contributing towards the project (it was far to big for myself to handle, personally). I currently have NO idea where the code is, sadly. The only thing I have to show that it is do-able, is a picture (mind you, this is from an older server version with a lot of limitations). Here is the picture (I only took it/held on to it because its my favorite two pokemon lol):

I was able to render every single pokemon's front/back/shiny alternatives with a command (I used to have an exact figure regarding the amount shown at once, based on limitations of the time, but I do not remember; it was enough for the possibility of team battles, though). This was done using some odd tricks with 3DTextLabels (I'll divulge more later if interested...for all i know this could be much easier now). This alone should show that there is potential for a pokemon server to be born (with NPCS/TextDraws/camera functions/etc, it could be pretty damn cool).

Anyways, looking at some of the features that I missed, I am even more excited to hopefully see this come to life (maybe in a toned down level, and not a full on recreation attempt). If anyone is interested in this idea, let me know. I think I still have the pokemon sprites (though I am sure i can find them again if not). Sorry for the somewhat long rambling post, I tried to keep it short as possible.

-------------------

Edit: Here are all the pokemon sprites (604~ images for the original 151). It looks like I left my converting program inside, so that makes this a lot easier (I remember how much of a PITA it was to get the images alone...let alone get the data into a mysql DB). It still has the output TXT files I generated, so you do not need to run the executable at all. Sadly, I do not remember the table structure at all, but shouldnt be hard to figure it out.

Note: I see a bunch of "@" symbols in the pixels...I THINK that is a placeholder for a newline ("\n"). Not 100% sure anymore though.

Edit 2: I found my old converting program's source. I apologize for the HORRIBLE code. I have a bad habbit of not commenting my code (seriously can not even tell you what I was thinking looking at my code)...and this was never really meant to be released, so it's very rough looking lol.

I am surely interested in this

And welcome back

Thanks, Sublime .

PS. I referred to this server I was going to make as "Project Kanto." I think that is a pretty good name for it IMO. The domain is also up for grabs if anyone is serious about it (i havent had it for the last year, at least).

Welcome back buddy, am quite interested in the project aswell, would you please explain how did you use the 3dtextlabels ?

That sounds like a big project on your hands. Welcome back too. Anyways, best of luck on it.

I like the textdraws, good job.

Very nice to see you back!

As I thought when I first saw this on your blog some time ago, this is a great idea. If done correctly it would be a very promising mode. If you still are short on the team and want to continue the project, I would be more than willing to contribute whenever I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira297
Посмотреть сообщение
That sounds like a big project on your hands. Welcome back too. Anyways, best of luck on it.
Not on my hands, on someone else's hands hopefully aha. I don't really have a ton of time programming wise anymore, so I would like to focus on other things that would require less dedication. I think this would be a good group/community project though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -CaRRoT
Посмотреть сообщение
Welcome back buddy, am quite interested in the project aswell, would you please explain how did you use the 3dtextlabels ?
The biggest problem with just flat out using 3DTextLabels was the amount of pixels it required (it was well above the limit). What I essentially did to get around this was create two 3DTextLabels that contain every other row of pixels. Its kind of hard to explain, so I'll try demonstrating with visuals. Lets say I have an image that looks like this (i'll use different colors and characters to make it easier to understand):

##########
##########
... so on...

I couldn't fit them all into one label, so I instead render every OTHER row like this:

...so on...

then I create a second label (behind it a bit i believe) with the other pixels like this:

##########
##########
...so on...

They should in theory line up. The issue is that the labels are kind of strange. The closer you are, the bigger the gaps are in the rows of pixels, and if you are too far away they line up wrong (instead of red,green,... it flips the order making a strange image). So, you have to be in a "sweet spot".

This is no issue with pokemon though, as players do not move in pokebattles at all (nor should they even be displayed...so basically just set the camera in the sweet spot).

PS: Make sure you use hashtags for pixels...I tried other characters, but they make the columns align strangely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakr
Посмотреть сообщение
Very nice to see you back!

As I thought when I first saw this on your blog some time ago, this is a great idea. If done correctly it would be a very promising mode. If you still are short on the team and want to continue the project, I would be more than willing to contribute whenever I can.
Thanks . I forgot I had this on my blog! I actually forgot I had a blog lmao.

Its looking like there is interest, so hopefully it becomes a community thing. Would make it 10x easier with more people .

I remember this! Nice to see you haven't thrown it all away :P
Great to see you back, best of luck on this!