[Tutorial] A Successful Server

A Successful Server

Introduction

So, your looking for a way to improve your server but your low on ideas. You look at what other servers/scripts have and feel that maybe you should implement the exact feature they have. Well that isn't the best idea to improve your server.

General:

Most servers are scripted to look like other popular servers. Don't be a sheep. Be Unique.
To do this, you need to think of ways you can do that. Play around with Textdraws.
Develop your own trend. Develop a feature that you have never seen in any other server.
You want to invent, not edit.
If you want popularity, don't advertise on other servers. You want to be respected.
Refunds, need I say more? Refunds when players first join a server that they have never been on is totally unrealistic. If your server had an issue and everything was reset, then that is your fault and you should have had backups of their stats. If your expecting that you will have a reset, atleast backup the stats of every player so they can have their stuff back. You can't reward every player with millions of dollars. As previous players could have earnt their way on the server and that just ruins the economy.
Roleplay:

So what do almost every roleplay server have in common?
Well they all seem to have several features which are imported and/or edited from The Godfather Script.
Many people seem to use The Godfather script as a base for their script which isn't the best idea if your want a successful server.
The reason is because it doesn't make your server unique, not to mention the amount of bugs and editing which takes time to fix the script.
If you want to make your server unique, don't copy every other roleplay server, script your own features.
Economy in servers is the biggest issues, scripters tend to set prices too high, are your trying to develop a realistic environment or an unrealistic environment?

Deathmatch:

So your looking to develop a Deathmatch script?
Make things exciting and challenging.
Reward players with perks, or items to increase their chances of winning.
Example: More health, More armor, More damage
You want to allow your players to create a character that is different from other players.
Develop your own Class Selection screen instead of using the default SA:MP one.
Racing:

Racing is a skill, you go against competitors and try to reach the end.
Once you've finished, you only get the satisfaction of a few hundred or thousand dollars and 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place.
Why not give your server some engine modification and allow players to customize their vehicles.
Yeah players can already modify their vehicle externally, but why not make your server more interesting by introducing internal modification. Players may not be able to view it on their car but you could allow cars to move faster, or increase the health of a vehicle(Vehicle Armor), or even allow players to attach weapons to their vehicle etc.
Players would spend hard earned cash from racing to build the ultimate racing machine.
Let players purchase garages to store their vehicles so they don't have to leave their vehicles around the server to be stolen by other players and destroyed.
Tips:

• Be Unique, Not a Sheep
  • Think outside the box
  • Don't advertise on other servers
  • Don't give "Power Hungry" players admin
  • Listen to your community. They will be helpful with suggestions for new features.
  • Develop your own scripts

Ideas?:

• Create a Tribunal system which players can report other players and senior players can vote to warn/kick/ban the reported player.
  • Working Anti-Cheat system which requires minimum or no admin interaction as possible. Resulting in a system which doesn't require administrators on the server.
  • Set item prices to realistic prices for example: $2 Simcards, $5-$10 Phonebook, $80-$120 Phones, $15-$20 for Ciggerettes etc..
  • Allow players a variety, make things challenging and allow players to level up over time.
  • To allow players to feel unique, allow them to create their own story instead of defining it for them.
  • Develop Custom Screens using Textdraws (Age Selection, Sex Selection, Team Selection etc)
Any Constructive Feedback/Suggestions on this Thread is welcome

It is surely not the best tutorial for a successful SA-MP server but still it is not a bad one. I suggest you to highly detail your points mate. You should emphasize more on creating game mode's from scratch, building unique game mode's, developing new features for players, implementing modern techniques to optimize their script, securing the server and information, implementing faster ways to save information, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballu Miaa
View Post
It is surely not the best tutorial for a successful SA-MP server but still it is not a bad one. I suggest you to highly detail your points mate. You should emphasize more on creating game mode's from scratch, building unique game mode's, developing new features for players, implement modern techniques to optimize their script, etc.
I did sort of rush it as it is 3:15AM here in australia and I am a bit tired.
But it is mainly a guideline for players who tend to copy other servers and not script it themselves.
Though the format of setting it out was going to be centered, but thought I might be creative and have it left and right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deduction
View Post
I did sort of rush it as it is 3:15AM here in australia and I am a bit tired.
But it is mainly a guideline for players who tend to copy other servers and not script it themselves.
Though the format of setting it out was going to be centered, but thought I might be creative and have it left and right.
Hah well you should go to sleep. Yeah like i said already it is not the best tutorial around but still a good one. Newbies like's read short tutorials actually lol. So yeah it is a good attempt.

Are any of the populair RP servers actually "unique"? Seeing that ALWAYS seems to be the way to gain players.

Not good instruction

Nice tutorial