Building a race mode... need some suggestions.

So, I am thinking on creating a race mode for my Multi-Mode server. There is Race there, but it doesn't contain checkpoints all over the place, basically those are just mini-games.
So, these are some issues that I need to be cleared.

I cannot decide whether to re-spawn the player when he or she dies.
Should a player be able to spectate at his own will? Can he switch back to playing after spectating?
After a player reaches the last checkpoint and he is the winner, should I give 10 seconds until the race is over?
And when this player that just finished the race, should he be placed on spectate or just frozen at the last checkpoint?
Should I blend this in with my other DM/DD mode, so maps alternate randomly? This could drive the players who want race only away. Should this be a different mode only for Racers?

So, these are all that I could think off when I was building the system, which is actually built except for these minor issues.
More ideas are welcome to actually make this a great mode.

1) Make all 3 options, the player has to be the one choosing it.
2) Make the race done, after all players have reached the checkpoint. Add a 5 seconds timer so that the player can rejoice himself
3) You should code both, and the player can also choose either.
4) No! Is your server a mode bi-lingual server?

And.. I highly suggest to add Timelapse, Speed trap, Circuit, Sprint and Elimination rounds. You'll get it once you play NFS or Real Racing 3 or some nice racing games.

Add guns to cars and make them shot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJumbo
Посмотреть сообщение
This sounds epic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iZN
Посмотреть сообщение
This sounds epic.
When I did that in 2007 it was popular at first, then died off quickly. If going this route, make sure its pretty and people can upgrade their weapons heh. Otherwise they'll get bored quickly.

I am just working on something similar (MTA Type Racing).
There will be vehicle changes, repairs, nitro or teleporting on entering pickups/checkpoints.
Just waiting for RyDeR`'s confirmation, because I borrowed some code from his race script.
Suggestion: What about team racing? I mean there will be teams of two-four people (Depending of the number of seats of the car) where one will be driving, and the other(s) will try to shoot opponents. Sounds exciting to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Einstein
I cannot decide whether to re-spawn the player when he or she dies.
Should a player be able to spectate at his own will? Can he switch back to playing after spectating?
After a player reaches the last checkpoint and he is the winner, should I give 10 seconds until the race is over?
And when this player that just finished the race, should he be placed on spectate or just frozen at the last checkpoint?
Should I blend this in with my other DM/DD mode, so maps alternate randomly? This could drive the players who want race only away. Should this be a different mode only for Racers?
- When players die while racing, they'll automatically leave the race.
- 10 seconds is not that much, it'd be either 20/30 seconds or without it. I'd prefer though a timeout of n minutes according to the race record.
- Freezing players make it boring for them. It's always better to just disable the checkpoint and then allow them to freeroam.
- I never liked random races and that's why I've made multi-races for my gamemode. It's really nice and players can join any race they want without waiting for their favourite race to be chosen (random).
- No, it shouldn't unless it's a racing type of mode (there are not many out there) but I still believe using multi-modes allows the players being occupied with any type of the mode they like more!

PS: I love racing!

All your ideas sounds pretty good.

As mentioned above, I think weapons would add a twist and encourage more players to play. The idea that you mentioned having 10 seconds after the winner, I say boost that to 20 so that it can be seen who came in 2nd, 3rd, and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJumbo
Посмотреть сообщение
Probably I would add stuff like those barrels (barrels can be purchased), a player presses the 2 button to drop it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantinos
Посмотреть сообщение
- When players die while racing, they'll automatically leave the race.
- 10 seconds is not that much, it'd be either 20/30 seconds or without it. I'd prefer though a timeout of n minutes according to the race record.
- Freezing players make it boring for them. It's always better to just disable the checkpoint and then allow them to freeroam.
- I never liked random races and that's why I've made multi-races for my gamemode. It's really nice and players can join any race they want without waiting for their favourite race to be chosen (random).
- No, it shouldn't unless it's a racing type of mode (there are not many out there) but I still believe using multi-modes allows the players being occupied with any type of the mode they like more!

PS: I love racing!
So, by "leaving the race" you mean .. no being able to rejoin that current race?

I like the free-roam idea, where the players which finishes, gets teleported somewhere... or something similar to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickie
Посмотреть сообщение
All your ideas sounds pretty good.

As mentioned above, I think weapons would add a twist and encourage more players to play. The idea that you mentioned having 10 seconds after the winner, I say boost that to 20 so that it can be seen who came in 2nd, 3rd, and so on.
Yea, so I might go with a 20-30 seconds, the amount of time that will be given to other players that haven't finished the race yet.
Thanks fellas, you've been much helpful with this.