How does the processor speed work ?

Well, Basically- I am looking to purchase a PC that would run the latest games, So yeah- I don't really get how does the processor speed work, Like- I've heard that the i5 & i7 processors are the best, What about the 2.8 / 3.2 / 3.5 GHz processors speed ? Are those bad ? And.. Which speed would be good to run all [most atleast] the latest-PC games ?

I know that I do sound annoying with my many questions, But yeah- I would really love to know,

Thanks in advance.

Don't look at CPU speed alone. A 3.8GHz Pentium 4 will not be anywhere near as fast as a 2.8GHz Core i7 CPU. You need to look at the CPU itself which is the most important. Anything from the first-gen Nahalem to the latest 4th generation Haswell i7 and i5 CPU's will run pretty much any game fine, even the ones with the lower clock speeds. I'd be more concerned about the GPU.

Well also you have to look at this

i3 introduces multi-way processing (4)

i5 introduces turbo boost technology

i7 introduces 8 way processing.

Turbo Boost - Basically Built In Over Clocking you can stat that if temperature limits allow the processor will go from 3.0 to 3.5 if the temperature threshold is not met.

Speed is a good idea but bear in mind you can overclock as long as you have decent cooling.

The ghz frequency basically means how often in a second the processor can use his "calculation units" to solve a task. Now those "calculation units" are different for every cpu, so they can calculate more or less each step. Then they also differ in how many of these units are used in the cpu. So even if the frequency is lower, some cpus might be a lot faster because its units are better.
(Thats a very basic but good explanation)
FLOPS is a common unit for processor speed, it describes the FLoating-point OPerations per Ssecond that can be performed, so practically the amount of calculations the cpu can do in a second. If youre looking to compare the raw power of cpus, this is a good value that youll find in most benchmarks.
The i7 usually is famous for having 4 real processor cores, and a total of 8 effective cores (hyperthreading), so it can perform 8 tasks at once. It also has very powerful "units", so even a single core would be faster than some dual core cpus.

i'll say, don't worry much, about CPU, but don't buy shit, uhmmm, pay more attention to GPU and RAM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ic3cr3am
Посмотреть сообщение
i'll say, don't worry much, about CPU, but don't buy shit, uhmmm, pay more attention to GPU and RAM.
Wow, "pay more attention to RAM" is a bad advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_hual
Посмотреть сообщение
Wow, "pay more attention to RAM" is a bad advice.
No, it's not. As gamers, many of us want to share our game-play online, software to record your game-play, like Fraps, uses about 100mb of RAM, the game can use quit a lot of RAM and then we also would like to edit our video, make it awesome, but good video editing software, like Adobe After Effects, WILL use lots and lots of RAM, so yaaaah, it's not bad advice. Oh and, just remember, the amount of RAM, is not the only important thing, speed is to.

But, please, tell me why you say it's bad advice.

RAM is not the only thing ic3cr3am. 4 GB RAM is enough to run a decent game on low/medium settings. But this is also upto the CPU and most importantly graphics card, which is the main core of running all your games; without all these stuffs, you can't run even a game at 5 FPS. Coming to the topic, I may prefer i7 (3930K) if you could buy it. But thats not upto the speed only, its upto the RAM and GPU. CPU usage is like 4-5% mainly running a game like Crysis 3 on Intel Core i5 (2.5 GHz). RAM usage is alot like 1500MB+ (1.5+ GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ic3cr3am
Посмотреть сообщение
No, it's not. As gamers, many of us want to share our game-play online, software to record your game-play, like Fraps, uses about 100mb of RAM, the game can use quit a lot of RAM and then we also would like to edit our video, make it awesome, but good video editing software, like Adobe After Effects, WILL use lots and lots of RAM, so yaaaah, it's not bad advice. Oh and, just remember, the amount of RAM, is not the only important thing, speed is to.

But, please, tell me why you say it's bad advice.
So, rendering software does not use a lot of CPU time?

Wow, -4 rep for trying to help.

Anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by iZN
Посмотреть сообщение
RAM is not the only thing ic3cr3am. 4 GB RAM is enough to run a decent game on low/medium settings. But this is also upto the CPU and most importantly graphics card, which is the main core of running all your games; without all these stuffs, you can't run even a game at 5 FPS. Coming to the topic, I may prefer i7 (3930K) if you could buy it. But thats not upto the speed only, its upto the RAM and GPU. CPU usage is like 4-5% mainly running a game like Crysis 3 on Intel Core i5 (2.5 GHz). RAM usage is alot like 1500MB+ (1.5+ GB)
yes, i know, what i'm was trying to say, why use a lot of cash on CPU, buy a cheaper CPU but a better GPU.

Quote:

RAM is not the only thing ic3cr3am.

read my first post.

Quote:

So, rendering software does not use a lot of CPU time?

Yes, i know it uses a lot of CPU, but let's say you got i7 CPU, but 1gb ram....