What's it like?

I joined the army in December and started training in January for 9.6 weeks. I've passed but now I'm being sent out in roughly 2 - 3 weeks. All those in the army or been in the army, this is for you really. I've heard a few frightening stories about being in the army but stories dont' scare me since it's all "hear-say". I got told I'll be put near the border so I dunno whether border patrol maybe? Theres a story I got told about Border Patrol which is by a friend who was genuinely in the army so that's why it's kinda scary.

He was on border patrol and he was with his mate when this woman came up to him and started speaking to him in arabic and he told her to fuck off basically and she kept trying to cross.(There was like 20 soldiers there) and she reached into her robe and pulled out a phone and before she could push a button his mate shot here right through the brain. they pulled up her robe and she had bombs attached to her. So they could of been blown to bits.

I really don't care about what people have to say about this, It's kind of worrying knowing you're flying to afghanistan and knowing that these things have happened.

Being in an army/navy is what everyone needs... From undisciplined brats to proper people that can be accepted into the society...

No I was not in the army nor navy due left sided heart failure & asthma but was a Navy Cadet/Sea Cadet before my asthma shown up ((and before that Police Cadet)), I myself worked with soldiers in college under Public Services course, all of them are nice men & women and it shows what army can make out of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNorton
Посмотреть сообщение
Being in an army/navy is what everyone needs... From undisciplined brats to proper people that can be accepted into the society...

No I was not in the army nor navy due left sided heart failure & asthma but was a Navy Cadet/Sea Cadet before my asthma shown up.
So what are you trying to say? I'm an undisciplined brat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian`
Посмотреть сообщение
So what are you trying to say? I'm an undisciplined brat?
I wonder... Where did I place "Elysian" of any kind of way in my post... Yea nowhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNorton
Посмотреть сообщение

No I was not in the army nor navy due left sided heart failure & asthma but was a Navy Cadet/Sea Cadet before my asthma shown up.
I don't think the army/navy treatment is good for everyone. Some people aren't in great physical condition (not referring to diseases). They could easily collapse under the great amount of pressure that's put onto you on training or missions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny.
Посмотреть сообщение
I don't think the army/navy treatment is good for everyone. Some people aren't in great physical condition (not referring to diseases). They could easily collapse under the great amount of pressure that's put onto you on training or missions.
That is true, but in the first place, how did that person get in there? If he is weak and unable to do such thing he wouldnt pass the tests and be send home...

All I want to know if you've had the experience or know someone who has, I wanna know what it's like for your first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian`
Посмотреть сообщение
All I want to know if you've had the experience or know someone who has, I wanna know what it's like for your first time.
My old mate from college asked a soldier we worked with "did you kill anyone?" which is probably the most stupidest question one can ask.
All I can say, with people I worked with in college, they were happy they joined the army... "One of the best experiences I had in my life" even tho every day is a day where they risk their own lifes for someone else.

I'm a Second Lieutenant in 3 SCOTS, UK Armed Forces.
Now, I can't speak for you as you're a soldier, while I'm an officer, but one thing is for sure, It's a 50/50 deal.
I've been sent out to Syria.
I was lying on a small dune with a M82 rifle overlooking a certain situation.
Little town full of civs behind me, in front of me, 7 or 8 hostile.
It was a recon squad. I was the platoon leader and as there was no higher ranked officer at the time at base camp,
I was the one who ran the whole thing.
You could've filled a few bottles of blood from those few soldiers who got injured.
And it was my fault. Inexperienced.

On the other hand,
There were a lot of fun and jokes around the base camp.
One guy wanted to get certs for a certain thing, I was the one who should've given him the papers.
I told him to stay in a specific corner for a few minutes as I was going to get those papers done for him.
The other guys were laughing their asses off as I was just smoking a cig outside.
While he was only a PFC, I would've made the same mistake too.
And why do I make such jokes? Because as their CO, I know that in the field, they'll won't know any better.
So technically, they would make a misconception out of things they shouldn't give a thought about!

Depends on what stories you hear. Getting killed is 1/1000. Getting injured is 1/100. Getting trolled by your CO is 1/2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck
Посмотреть сообщение
I'm a Second Lieutenant in 3 SCOTS, UK Armed Forces.
Now, I can't speak for you as you're a soldier, while I'm an officer, but one thing is for sure, It's a 50/50 deal.
I've been sent out to Syria.
I was lying on a small dune with a M82 rifle overlooking a certain situation.
Little town full of civs behind me, in front of me, 7 or 8 hostile.
It was a recon squad. I was the platoon leader and as there was no higher ranked officer at the time at base camp,
I was the one who ran the whole thing.
You could've filled a few bottles of blood from those few soldiers who got injured.
And it was my fault. Inexperienced.

On the other hand,
There were a lot of fun and jokes around the base camp.
One guy wanted to get certs for a certain thing, I was the one who should've given him the papers.
I told him to stay in a specific corner for a few minutes as I was going to get those papers done for him.
The other guys were laughing their asses off as I was just smoking a cig outside.
While he was only a PFC, I would've made the same mistake too.
And why do I make such jokes? Because as their CO, I know that in the field, they'll won't know any better.
So technically, they would make a misconception out of things they shouldn't give a thought about!

Depends on what stories you hear. Getting killed is 1/1000. Getting injured is 1/100. Getting trolled by your CO is 1/2.

Cool, where were you based? Also, what year did you graduate? That happen this year?