Starting off learning Pawn

Hello, I am really interested in learning about pawn, I am reading the Samp Wiki, but it's hard to understand without practicing. What are important things to learn when starting off in pawn?

How can I start practicing pawn? Editing Filterscripts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach7
View Post
How can I start practicing pawn?
By reading tutorials, best solution.

How I learned? Yes tutorials and checking out scripts and seeing how they work, in reality it aint hard but takes effort.

About me.. How I learned? Translating old gamemode's to my primary language (Godfather gamemodes[*]) and updating them. That's how I started, I never read any tutorial so far, maybe just a couple but after few years of coding. That's your choice what you gonna do, and how. Have fun with that, I don't feel any inspiration to do some programming last couple of months, but yeah.. enjoy that )

SA-MP's Wikipedia will help too.

Pawn Language Guide

You just have to start making something, anything, and you will learn. x) Edit gamemodes, try to make simple filterscripts, or whatever, just spend some time in pawno and you will start to understand it.

Thanks guys, this forum is very helpful, I've been focusing on making simple commands such as restoring your armor and spawning yourself a weapon

I appreciate the help, I'm exploring different functions and all.

I suggest finding a few filterscripts which you think have nice (but not overly complicated) features, then looking at their code and trying to find out how they've done it. I've done the same

Plus the things posted above, when you code, start with the simple function which does not have difficult-to-code parameters.

If you expect to move off from PAWN sometime in the future I suggest you start with a different scripting language.

This is because, PAWN is pretty straightforward, almost everything is self-explanatory, Such as "SetPlayerPos" and "GetPlayerPos", especially SendClientMessage.

But, whatever Hiddos suggested, I'd suggest you do that.