[Tutorial] Yet Another Plugin Boilerplate - 2018 edition! (CMake/Docker/y_testing/sampctl)

Yet Another SA:MP Plugin Boilerplate

Introduction

This is a SA:MP plugin boilerplate/starter kit project for developing plugins in C++. The project includes a quick and simple way to test plugins on multiple platforms as well as a CMake setup and a full CI/CD configuration for building on Travis CI and Appveyor as well as deploying binaries to Bintray.

It’s in no way an exhaustive “tutorial” per se but it should be a good place to get started. I noticed the tutorial by Kyosaur (which is a fantastic tutorial still) was showing a bit of age - that being said, you should still read it!

Code

The code can be seen/cloned/downloaded here

Prerequisites

Required

Visual Studio

I tested with 2017 but 2015 should work too.

CMake 3+

This is used for generating the project files. If you’re using VS 2017, you can also directly open the CMakeLists.txt file from File > Open > CMake....

If you can’t use Visual Studio’s built in CMake support, just use CMake as normal. First create a directory called build (or whatever you like, build is a common name), cd into it and run cmake ... This will generate a Visual Studio solution file which you can open as you would any solution. Any changes to any CMakeLists.txt will require regenerating the project files.

Basic Command-Line Knowledge

I use Git-Bash for Windows but PowerShell or Cmd will work just as well.

Optional

Docker

this means you can compile the plugin for Linux while using a Windows machine (I assume most users here are on Windows). You could use a VM for this but Docker makes the process much simpler and automated via a couple of simple commands.
make

just because I put all the commands into a basic makefile for easier execution. You don’t need make as you can just open up the makefile and run the commands listed there manually.
sampctl

This makes testing the plugin on a SA:MP server a lot easier because the copying of the .dll and setup of the server is all automated. All you need to do is edit the .inc and write some test code into test.pwn and run make test-native each time you edit the plugin!
First Run Tasks

When you first clone the repo, you need to do some housework before you can begin writing plugin code.

Submodules

If you don’t clone the repository recursively, run the following to get the required dependencies:

Код:
git submodule init
git submodule update
Replacements

Because this is a template, there are certain parts that use a placeholder as a project name. Do a find-and-replace (CTRL+Shift+F in most editors) across all files for the following:
  • projectname: your project name, should be lowercase and alphabetic only - is used in CMake project name, pawn.json
    repo name and in test files
  • PROJECTNAME: your project name but all uppercase - is used in preprocessor macros for include guards
Also rename PAWN_INCLUDE.inc to your project’s preferred include name and edit test/gamemodes/test.pwn for the new include filename.

Prepare Pawn Tests

If you plan to use the server tests, you should pull the required Pawn deps for both the package itself and the server instance that’s nested in test/:

Код:
make test-setup
This runs sampctl server ensure inside test/ and sampctl package ensure in the project root.

Create a CMake Build Directory

If you plan to use the CMake command line, run:

Код:
mkdir build
cd build
cmake ..
And that will generate a Visual Studio project inside build/ ready for you to open in Visual Studio.

Alternatively, you can simply open Visual Studio and click File > Open > CMake... and just open the CMakeLists.txt file directly for a slightly different development experience.

Explanation of Every Important File

makefile

The makefile is the starting point, but it’s not related to the C++ code at all, it’s simply a task list for managing tests.

Run make test-setup before doing anything to get everything set up. You should only need to do this once. This runs sampctl server ensure inside test/ which uses the declarative samp.json file to automatically set up a SA:MP server instance inside of the test directory. Don’t worry, the .gitignore is already set up to ignore the server related files. It then runs sampctl package ensure to download the necessary dependencies for building the Pawn test script - this is just the SA:MP standard library and YSI for y_testing.

Run make test-native to:
  • build the Pawn test script to an .amx with y_testing
  • run the test script as a full SA:MP server instance
You should see Function called among the typical SA:MP boilerplate text and y_testing output.

Run make test-container to:
  • build the Pawn test script to an .amx with y_testing
  • run the test script in a Linux Docker container
src

This contains the C++ source code. Read the file head comments in order:
  • main.cpp
  • common.hpp
  • natives.hpp
  • natives.cpp
  • impl.hpp
  • impl.cpp
CMakeLists.txt declares which files are relevant to the build process. I’m not a CMake expert so I’ll avoid going any further with this.

lib

This contains external dependencies. These are libraries required by this project, this includes cmake-modules by Zeex which provides some useful CMake stuff for working with SA:MP plugins and samp-plugin-sdk which is the software development kit for working with SA:MP itself. These are all declared as Git submodules (.gitmodules) and are updatable with git submodule update.

How do I Add New Dependencies?

Because this project uses CMake, if you want to use a dependency that is also using CMake you can simply git submodule add <url> lib/<name> then add it to the top-level CMakeLists.txt. It’s not always that straightforward though annoyingly but that’s just the way of the C++ world…

Dockerfile

If you’re new to docker, this file declares an “Image” which is an isolated filesystem running a particular operating system - in our case it derives from maddinat0r/debian-samp which is a Debian image built specifically for compiling SA:MP plugins by maddinat0r. This means you can compile an .so on Windows very easily by running make build-container

.travis.yml and bintray.json

This configures Travis CI to build the Linux version of the plugin whenever commits as pushed to GitHub. It will also upload the resulting .so file to Bintray after a successful build. You must configure the Bintray fields and bintray.json with your own details. See this page for more information.

appveyor.yml

This configures Appveyor to build the Windows version of the plugin whenever commits as pushed to GitHub. It will also upload the resulting .dll file to Bintray after a successful build. You must configure the Bintray fields with your own details. See this page for more information.

Nice, thanks.

One thing mentioned in Kyosaur's tutorial was that he couldn't find a way to remove the requirement of having a .def file for Windows (AFAIK you don't need it for Linux, but I don't know that for certain). If it is only Windows, it isn't required:

https://github.com/Y-Less/plugin-nat....hpp#L168-L184

https://github.com/Y-Less/plugin-nat...eFunc.hpp#L466

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y_Less
Посмотреть сообщение
One thing mentioned in Kyosaur's tutorial was that he couldn't find a way to remove the requirement of having a .def file for Windows (AFAIK you don't need it for Linux, but I don't know that for certain). If it is only Windows, it isn't required:

https://github.com/Y-Less/plugin-nat....hpp#L168-L184

https://github.com/Y-Less/plugin-nat...eFunc.hpp#L466
Does the same go for the AMX events such as Load, Unload, ProcessTick, etc?

For as long as I can remember I've always had to add this in order to make those function calls fire:

EXPORTS
Supports
Load
Unload
AmxLoad
AmxUnload
ProcessTick

Does plugin-natives handle this internally or do I have to decl these in the source?

Nice

I've updated the boilerplate and removed the usage of plugin-natives (it's still a dependency) due to it not working well with GCC - hopefully this can get resolved at some point in the future but since most servers run on Linux, it's not much use having a boilerplate that only supports Windows plugins.

Just a heads up, this has been updated with examples for automatic builds on Travis CI and Appveyor as well as deployment of binaries to Bintray.

I've also completely removed pawn-natives (aka plugin-natives) and fixed up some issues with the dependencies. There are some more sections in the documentation too to help with dealing with git submodules and Travis/Appveyor.