Servers using TM! [Question]

Well I'm confused and wanted to ask what do servers have to use of TM (Trademark)? Well from what I know I think is if someone was to create "Cluckin Bell Server 4 funTM" and is that like legal because I know no one else will use that name for a server except for the server owner so he makes it a TM? Please answer this question... its quite confusing. I did look up on the wiki for TM but I want to know what it has to do with SA-MP Servers?

You can't just slap a trademark on whatever you want, you have to register your product or service to get a legal trademark. If I created a new server and called it "Cluckin Bell Server 4 funTM" they couldn't do jack shit about it basically. Not to mention that's not even correct use of ™ and they certainly don't own the rights to "Cluckin Bell".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark

Also; anyone who uses © or copyright the same way renders it inert. You must use © and have your property registered legally, and nobody can or has been able to do this on SA-MP. You can use a creative-commons license legally without having to register your work, and when I say 'work' I mean something that person has created/written. CC does not however mean that your work is fully protected. People are still free to use, modify and distribute as long as they don't re-sell the work. A title of a game-server is in no way protected by anything, except if Kye or whoever controls the server list feel that it should not be there.

Nobody cares really, just let them do what they want™

Let them.. not like anyone is going to listen anyways.

They like to put that there to scare people who try use the name...

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1ceC1ty
Посмотреть сообщение
You can't just slap a trademark on whatever you want, you have to register your product or service to get a legal trademark. If I created a new server and called it "Cluckin Bell Server 4 funTM" they couldn't do jack shit about it basically. Not to mention that's not even correct use of ™ and they certainly don't own the rights to "Cluckin Bell".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark

Also; anyone who uses © or copyright the same way renders it inert. You must use © and have your property registered legally, and nobody can or has been able to do this on SA-MP. You can use a creative-commons license legally without having to register your work, and when I say 'work' I mean something that person has created/written. CC does not however mean that your work is fully protected. People are still free to use, modify and distribute as long as they don't re-sell the work. A title of a game-server is in no way protected by anything, except if Kye or whoever controls the server list feel that it should not be there.
This is not true at all. Everything you create is implicitly copyrighted and you have the right to use the copy symbol. You can also use ™ without having to register anything. That restriction only applies to ®. This is also the reason why there is the difference between a trademark and a registered trademark in the first place.

It doesn't matter, noone on SAMP is going to sue if you use "their name"

Quote:
Originally Posted by carz0159
Посмотреть сообщение
It doesn't matter, noone on SAMP is going to sue if you use "their name"
Especially seeing as SA-MP was not developed by Rockstar Games, thus all servers based on the GTA SA game would be legally owned by them unless permission for such usage was given directly from the Rockstar gaming. Unless Rockstar handed Copyright permission to SA-MP (which I doubt) no server can be legally copyrighted (as in documented and have the ability to take someone to court over).

That's from what I know, trust me, I'm not quite sure of the (if any) agreement between Rockstar and the SA-MP team.

People put TM after their server name so it can look cool, not to claim copyright over it.

Copyright is bullshit anyway, especially in this case. Copyrighting a SA-MP server name is like buying a cheeseburger from McDonalds and claiming copyright on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ******
Посмотреть сообщение
Vince already stated that this is entirely wrong, and I'm going to back him up on that statement. You DO own copyright, things like CC (Creative Commons) or GPL (GNU Public License) are actually there to enable other people to do things they wouldn't normally be able to do. For example if I release a mode on the forums without an open source license then you can use it because that's why I released it - but I still own full copyright control over it. You can't share it with anyone, you can't modify it, you can't do anything except what I've said you can. This is actually the case with 90% of all releases here.

However, if I use something like MPL (Mozilla Public License), then I'm basically saying that this is my code, I still own it, but I'm letting you do some things to it that you wouldn't normally be allowed to - for example modify it or share it. This also means that you can't then change the license because you don't have those permissions, and you can't claim the work is yours because I still own it.

This is also completely wrong.

If you don't know anything about copyright law, stop posting!
Unless it's something someone has truly and originally created you cannot claim copyright. GTA SA Is owned and already a registered trademark and copyright of of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. If you released any gamemode/filterscript using GTA SA you could not enforce any rules to what other people can do with it other than selling it and you do not own any copyright over it because you are already infringing Rockstars copyright for San Andreas. This would only possibly apply to MTA.

http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html
Quote:

"If I make up my own stories, but base them on another work, my new work belongs to me."
False. U.S. Copyright law is quite explicit that the making of what are called "derivative works" -- works based or derived from another copyrighted work -- is the exclusive province of the owner of the original work. This is true even though the making of these new works is a highly creative process. If you write a story using settings or characters from somebody else's work, you need that author's permission.

What is the point in registering your trademark or copyright if it doesn't mean anything different? That would imply that all copyright/trade mark registrars are taking money for no reason.