[Tutorial] All-In-One Guide to a Successful Server!

All-In-One Guide to a Successful Server!

Intro:
I've seen alot of threads popping up with questions such as: "Starting a Roleplay Server, Need Advice"; so I thought I'd try to summarize what I've learned regarding making a SA-MP server. This isn't a full guide, nor is it a fail-proof guide. But it'll certainly help you in making decisions! This guide, should allow you to at least get a steady shot at what might just be your dream. I know it's a wall of text, though I tried to keep it very short. Also, this is still a work in progress, any recommendations or feedback is more than welcome. Enjoy !

1) Starting
1.1) The concept
The very start of your own server will be thinking about a concept. What server would you like? Will you go with a Roleplay server? A Freeroam server? Perhaps a DM/TDM server… The possibilities are almost endless. Though the concept is the most important step in building your own server.
An example: If you go with a Freeroam server, you will most likely have simple features that are enjoyable, and alot of events. While a Roleplay server requires a totally different approach.

1.2) Yourself
In this guide, I'll mention 'professionalism' alot. If you want to make a successful server, you'll need to ensure that you are ready for it yourself. Are you professional enough? Are you immature? Can you manage staff? Do you have any knowledge of 'how people exist'? Do you have any experience with what you're about to dive into? Are you willing to learn? Can you be independent? Are you willing to invest some cash? These are all important questions. Try to answer them for yourself, and make the correct conclusion before proceeding.

1.3) Your 'Partners'
Starting out is always hard. It'll be easier if you have a partner (or two) to help you out. You'll want these to be people you trust. (Not random people you 'hire'.) You'll also want them to have some basic knowledge in whatever you need help with. An example; I'm very good in Pawn, but I don't know anything regarding mapping, my friend does. He can be your mapper. Though you don't want these first partners to be power hungry, or simply immature. You need to trust them, but don't take your 'best friends', this mostly causes trouble.

2) Choosing a Host
2.1) Investing
Face it, if you want to start a new, successful server, you'll have to invest in it. Be prepared to put in at least $50, this mainly to pay for a host (2.2), hosted tab spot (2.2), a domain (2.3) and a web-host (2.4). Normally you'll still have some of that money left, which serves as a back-up in case you aren't getting donations, and need to pay up for an additional (couple) months.

2.2) VPS or Dedicated?
Choosing your host is one of the most essential parts of starting a server. Except hosting on your own computer (Which I personally do not advise, due to bigger chances of server outage, and possible limits of your internet provider.) there are two main options that you can go for; a VPS (Virtual Private Server) or a dedicated server. While most big servers have 'kick-ass' dedicated servers, if you're just starting out, a VPS would do fine. (Big differences are that a VPS shares resources with various clients, while a dedicated server is a server just for you. Other than that, there's usually a big price difference.) Think about it. Do you really need that $100/month dedicated server with 32GB RAM, an Intel i7 processor and a 1TB hard-drive? No, you don't, and you never will. You'll be lucky if you get 50 players within your first month, a 500 slot server can play without lag on a VPS with 500mb of RAM and a good upload speed easily. Last but not least, try and hire your host with a reliable source (Such as Volt-Host, and SA-MP approved hosts). I would never advise using small companies as found on SA-MP User's signatures. They are bound to die out sooner or later, leaving you in the dark.

2.3) Getting a Domain
If you have a host, you can easily download Xampp (or Wampp) and set-up a website. However, using services as DYNDNS or .tk equals to being a failure. A domain doesn't cost a lot, and it just looks a lot more professional if you have one. They are a yearly purchase most of the time, so it is a good investment, and it'll more than likely stay 'your place on the web'.

2.4) Getting a Web-Host
In the previous section I already mentioned that you can use services like Xampp (or Wampp) to 'host' your website on your previously purchased server, however this will increase the server load, as well as make you extra vulnerable to any attacks. (Such as DDoS) The last, but not least smartest investment that you can make, is a web-host. When getting it combined with your domain name, it can even be very 'profitable'. Some companies will also give you discounts. While I recon that a lot of people will quickly disagree with me on this point, I see it as a way to decrease server load, improve the security of your server, and add to the overall professionalism of your server.

2.5) How Many Players Can I Exactly Hold?
This is based on a quick calculation of how many people you can hold, combined with the general knowledge of how stable your server is. Now, server stability depends on a lot of things, however, the calculation of how many players you can hold, stays the same.

Your Upload Speed in MBPS / 0.04 * 0.75 = Theoretical Max Players (www.speedtest.net)

Obviously, this is only a theoretical maximum. The stats of your actual host will also influence this.

3) The Mode
3.1) Choosing Your Mode
When you're just starting out with a new server, and you do not have much knowledge of scripting, I advise you to learn. There are many guides and tutorials on scripting. Though before you can start, you'll have to choose which mode you want to go with. This really also afflicts your concept. A DM/TDM server will be much easier to make (and be more simple), while a Roleplay server will be much more complex. There are much more modes out there - one more known than the other; Trucking, Farming, Zombie, etc. One is easier to script on than the other, and some of them fit a general purpose. Doing some research on what mode you'll create is always a good idea. Take a look at the bigger servers, what do they use? Base yourself on that.

3.2) Development
While we aren't at the 'hire staff' section, an important thing is development. When you're just starting out hiring a developer, depending on a developer is never a good thing. (Hence why I'm really not recommending a gamemode from the gamemode section.) Learning how to script a server is very easy. This is basic knowledge. You don't need to be a Pawn genius to create a server! (Though it helps.) But you have to be able to 'help yourself out' with some basic stuff. (Same counts with websites.)

4) Your Website
4.1) The Design
The design of your website is very important. It's your first impression. If you have some cash, getting a custom design is a good choice. Else, try to pick something that simply looks good. There are many free website designs available.

4.2) The Features
A good CMS with a lot of features is always good. As much as the design, having a good CMS is as important. You could buy a custom CMS, but there are good alternatives available for free. Some needed features are a donation shop, a news feed, a ban tracker, and a simple forum.

4.3) Forums
The best way to communicate with your fresh community is a community forum. This will - more than likely be the second or third chance to impress your future audience. As much as your CMS, the forum 'software' is very important. The best choice would be vBulletin, because it's the most professional, though, if you can't pay for it, don't use a nulled one. Just pick an alternative like SMF and mybb.

4.4) Credits
A lot of people use a website CMS, design, forum, forum design, ... that is released for free. People notice this. Giving the correct credits in the footer, will show professionalism, and earn you respect. Not giving the correct credits with a frequently used release will simply cause you to lose players, and be a target for mad developers.

5) Your Staff
5.1) Hiring
Staff members are very important for your server. They'll pretty much be the backbone of the server, and they'll help you make a success of your server. The positions you are hiring for is also affected by your concept. If you're making a Stunt server, you'll need mappers. Professionalism and loyalty are key. - Again, hiring friends equals to trouble. - Perfect grammar, proven skills, and no 'power-hungriness' are the things you're looking for. The quantity of staff needs to be relevant as well. Starting out, you don't need a head administrator, heads of staff etc. You're the boss. Hire developers if needed, a couple Administrators (According to your player-base.) and a couple Forum Moderators. As you get more population, you can hire more people, and change your hierarchy.

The hiring progress is also very important. Using an open application format, or picking people from sites like SA-MP isn't always the best. It gives you 'too much' information, and doesn't allow you to to compare them efficiently. I advise you to use forms. (EasyForms on vBulletin, or ****** Docs.) It gives more 'fairness' in the hiring process, and only answers the questions that you want answered. (Using a 'copy-paste' format in your forums doesn't look professional. I wouldn't advise it.) Last but not least, you want to hide the answers from others, so nobody can copy the answers. Also, a one-to-one conversation (Skype, Ventrilo, Teamspeak, ...) is another good check.

5.2) Managing
After the staff is hired, you need to maintain it. Have strict rules, check on them frequently, do not give them too much power and let them prove themselves. Holding weekly or monthly meetings to update everyone on the latest situation is also a good idea. Try to get a schedule ready. You don't need 5 Administrators online at one time, and 0 at another. (Hence, there are timezones.) Be sure your Administrators (and other staff.) are always friendly and ensure that they aren't giving away stuff without permission. (To themselves, friends, ...) They have to listen to you, but you have to listen to them as well. Feedback from your staff will be as important, if not more important than feedback from players. But in the end, you have the last word.

5.3) Rewarding
As much as the staff members will tell you that they simply want to 'help' for the community, that isn't true. The staff won't stay if they aren't rewarded. You need to be strict, but they have to be able to have some fun at times too. In the long run, a dedicated and trustable staff member can be promoted, which is a really big reward on it's own.

6) Donations
6.1) What Are Donations For?
Almost all servers have some sort of donation system, however it is important to know what these donations are used for. If you're creating a server, with the sole purpose of making profit, or getting rich, you're stupid. Just stop already. Donations should be used to improve the server, reward staff / players and hire professional developers. You really don't want to make people think or find out that you buy shiny stuff instead of improving your server. You also always want to have some backup cash to your disposal to cover any unforeseen costs. (Or simply be ready for the next month.)

6.2) A Good Policy
A good donation policy is very important. You really don't want to 'lose' cash on charge backs. Make sure you're legally in order. You might think this is futile, but once your server starts to get bigger, you'll be more than happy to have one.

6.3) Pricing
"Easy-To-Spawn Vehicle for $5" That's bad. Pricing is very important, especially on new servers. Try to put the prices low. You'll 'sell' more items at $0.99 than at $1 (Proven Marketing method), same as you'll get much more people donating small amounts of cash than big ones. What you're exactly 'selling' should be part of your concept. What you're 'selling' also shouldn't be a major advantage to active and dedicated players that can't donate.

7) Marketing / Advertisement
7.1) Getting the Word Out
Websites such as SA-MP are good places to start advertising your server. Advertisement posts are a good way to impress your future audience, make it look professional, and give as much information as possible. Add pictures, video's, information about your host, staff lists, server information etc. Make it stand out. Honesty is very important. Don't lie about your player-base, it will just make you look bad. Also, do not spam other servers. This causes hate, and will fire back on you more than you think.

7.2) Social Media
Lately, social media has become a popular way to communicate with a community, as well as having a fun way to interact with them on a rather personal level. (Big servers such as LS-RP and the Russian Roleplayer servers really jumped on this.) ******** and ******* would be your best bets. Reward people for following you, etc. It's a really good way to get the word out even more.

Outro:
Following this guide doesn't necessarily ensure you that your server be a rocking success, however it is a base guide on how to make a decent attempt. It'll get you further than just jumping in head forward without any tips. I sincerely hope that your server goes well, though, I advise you to quit trying after 3 attempts. Else, you'll just make yourself look bad. One big tip I'd want to leave you with, is to not let you be influenced by others. You're a small fish in a big sea. You're bound to be flamed, trolled, etc. Keep your head up, and either roflstomp-pwn them back, or sort things out in a professional matter.

Cheers
~ Kreatyve ~

This is awesome mate. An excellent guide! +Rep.

Nice tut!

Nice Job.
Helpful too.

Nice! +rep

This is great, Will help me starting my own server soon.

Looks good only thing I disagree with is where you recommend the hosts from the sa-mp thread. Lets be quiet frank here, your best bet is choosing a well known company that doesn't endorse specific games at all. LSN, Phoenix NAP, Internap etc etc, these companies are worth the extra money as they are ddos protected and won't lock you out of your services.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreatyve
View Post
2.2) VPS or Dedicated?
there are two main options that you can go for; a VPS (Virtual Private Server) or a dedicated server.
Shared hosting (i.e. just buying slots)? The cheapest and the easiest. A VPS or dedi requires a thorough knowledge of linux and its applications, which I know most beginners don't have.
Quote:
View Post
4.3) Forums
The best choice would be vBulletin, because it's the most professional, though, if you can't pay for it, don't use a nulled one.
Being the most expensive does not equal being the most professional. Many servers run their forums on phpBB or SMF and they are doing just fine. With a good skin you can make anything look professional.

Besides that, don't use nulled software, ever. If I see a a vB or IPB on a webhost while the owner can barely pay for the game server itself then something's fishy and I WILL report that site to Internet Brands/Invision Power. Following an official complaint from either of those your host will at the very least disable your website, but they might as well terminate the entire contract. Obviously without refunds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
View Post
Shared hosting (i.e. just buying slots)? The cheapest and the easiest.
Volt-Host is considered a VPS. They put many servers on 1 host, and change the ports.

Quote:
View Post
Being the most expensive does not equal being the most professional.
I never said that.

I agree with the points you've made though.

Volt Host is a hosting provider. A VPS (Virtual Private Server) is a reserved part of a physical server with set resources in terms of CPU, RAM and bandwith. You have to manage everything on the server yourself but you can also install multiple services on it. Shared hosting just provides you with the slots you need without having to worry about resources.

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
Volt Host is a hosting provider. A VPS (Virtual Private Server) is a reserved part of a physical server with set resources in terms of CPU, RAM and bandwith. You have to manage everything on the server yourself but you can also install multiple services on it. Shared hosting just provides you with the slots you need without having to worry about resources.
I don't see the difference. You're still sharing resources with other clients, it's just less of a hassle.

The difference?

Shared Hosting: They manage everything for you.

VPS: You manage everything for yourself.

I will look more into it, I guess.

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
I will look more into it, I guess.
It goes in stages:

Shared Hosting - You use a panel to monitor your server, usually one of probably a hundred on a dedicated server.
VPS - You need linux knowledge to install libraries, mysql etc. (Usually VPS's are from a Dedi but resources are shared) - No panel given, you just need linux / putty knowledge.
Dedicated Server - Your own server, no one else has access to your rack. Same with VPS, you need linux and putty knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSmith
Посмотреть сообщение
It goes in stages:

Shared Hosting - You use a panel to monitor your server, usually one of probably a hundred on a dedicated server.
VPS - You need linux knowledge to install libraries, mysql etc. (Usually VPS's are from a Dedi but resources are shared) - No panel given, you just need linux / putty knowledge.
Dedicated Server - Your own server, no one else has access to your rack. Same with VPS, you need linux and putty knowledge.
Not all of Shared Hosting has a User Control Panel feature.
A hundred servers on a single Dedicated server, shared by multiple clients, is called a VPS.
Not all VPS are linux, I know lots that run on Windows and even Mac.
Some VPS do use User Control Panels, you guys are calling them Shared Hosting for some reason.

I don't see a difference between VPS and Shared Hosting, there must be some difference.
Inverse said, with Shared Hosting they do technical stuff for you, and a VPS you have to manage things yourself, pretty much the only difference pointed out so far.

Shared hosting is NOT even remotely the same thing as a VPS. A VPS is basically a dedicated server on another server that is shared among a few different clients. Shared hosting is a web server on a dedicated server that generally has its own control panel and each client has a set amount of usable data space and bandwidth.

dedicated server on another server

That makes no sense.

Shared hosting is a web server

Shared and VPS hosting can use different methods for how they host a server, it doesn't have to be on a web server at all, the web server is just a provided way for users to control their server without any external programs, it's easy to make a control panel with C++.

Clearing up the confusion between everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealCop228
A VPS is basically a dedicated server on another server.
VPSs are not dedicated. Although some running on KVM or Xen virtualization come with dedicated resources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSmith
VPS - No panel given, you just need linux / putty knowledge.
VPSs do come with a panel to control/mange(start, shutdown, reboot, monitor resource usage of) the VPS. They don't of course come with a Web Panel to control a SA-MP Server. You can install the PHP Web Panel yourself connecting through SSH to your VPS by PuTTY.

And PuTTY doesn't require knowledge. It's just a program. You need basic linux commands and syntax knowledge.

Quote:
Shared and VPS hosting can use different methods for how they host a server, it doesn't have to be on a web server at all, the web server is just a provided way for users to control their server without any external programs, it's easy to make a control panel with C++.
True for VPSs. But have you ever seen a shared game hosting provider giving SA-MP Servers without a control panel?

The difference is that VPS is like a complete server. Of course its resources are shared. But it's your container. You can do whatever you want on it. Install webservers, gameservers, softwares, firewalls whatever it's like a complete computer with shared resources. Shared hosting term on the other hand applies to 2 things (shared webhosting, shared gamehosting like SAMP). Shared hosting can be on a powerful VPS or on a dedi (depends on the host). But you only get to use the service which you paid for like a gameserver or website not the whole server. You don't get the whole server.

‎The Only Similarity b/w VPS and Shared Hosting: The resources are shared. But the shared hosting provider usually makes sure that one gameserver doesn't interrupt or affect the other.

That's just for clarification. I still wouldn't state them similar as VPS is a complete server. Shared hosting is a single process.

On a VPS, if it's a good host, not a problem. Bad host then your resources can get fucked up. Shared hosting is just a single process. VPS is a virtual computer with allocated resources.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dedicated_hosting_service
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shared_hosting
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_server

Well, that sums it up.

I'm aware that a VPS isn't dedicated, but I was just too lazy to go back be edit that part of my post. Nevertheless, there's you're answer.