Banning methods.

I know there is no perfect banning methods, but what are some of the current most effective ones? Ones that will at least keep the skids from dicking around. Some clever ones I heard is requiring an e-mail, so every time they get banned they will have to change their IP and get a new e-mail which will just start becoming a pain in the arse. But I'd imagine most people would just bring a list up with random email addresses.. Hard to come up with good methods, ideas would be nice.

Ban the player country Click

I'd rather not.

Make a challenging test at the start so that less douchebags can get in. Use anti-cheat too. If it comes down to it, you might want to rangeban if needed.

Haha give 'em a nice good ol' test before entering the server, that's pretty funny. Though that would filter out people who may be stupid and not cheaters, which is probably a fair amount of players. I'm not that big of a fan of range banning either, but will try it if forced to.. I'm pretty sure a vpn can be used to get around range bans though.

EDIT: While we're on the topic of server security, is there a way to log rcon attempts? It seems some people are trying to brute force the password, the callback seems to only work if they're actually on the server. How do I log it if they're cracking it from outside the server?

The callback does work for remote rcon. Set 'rcon' to 0 to disable remote rcon.

The number one key to this is good admins and a good system to determine very similar IP addresses. Generally, if you ban a player and eventually suspect that they're ban evading you can compare their banned IP with another. Sometimes, if they're stupid, they'll be pretty similar.

Other ways to do this would include forcing people to install a client-side script on their computer that feeds your server with information about their client or something. Such as a mac address, or give each client-side script a serial of its own, etc. Although, this is illogical.

Other than that... not really. Banning isn't full-proof!

^^ *fool - proof!
For me, the perfect way is to use the GEO - IP plugin, get the city of the player - then cross check it with banned players, look for similarities in the IP, and then:
1) Either highlight the following player to online admins
2) or just ban him.