Dedicated Server

I'm interested in purchasing a dedicated server. I am doing my own research currently, but I would appreciate any and all input to help point me in the right direction.

What I will be using the server for:
- website (vBulletin forums, dynamic content, etc. probably between 1,000 and 10,000 unique visitors per day)
- teamspeak3 (512 slots, probably between 200-300 on it at any given time)
- 2 SA-MP servers
- (50-200 players on one, 300-500 on the other)
- possibly servers for other games (such as Counter Strike, etc.)

I will get into specifics in a bit as I map out more, but these are the basics. While money is certainly an object, I do have enough to purchase whatever I may need as to not cut corners. I would like to get the best deal that would comfortably fit the community for a long period of time.

You don't need that much. http://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/kimsufi.xml KS 2G or KS R-4G enough, IMO.

Purchasing a server, I don't know your location for it but that could be a bit drastic. You're gonna need some serious cooling systems, the power bill will probably be quite expensive, and most of all you'll need a very good uplink to the internet. It's probably not going to be worth it.

I think hes talking about a hosted dedi, not running a dedi from a physical location he owns. Case in point: I've been renting dedis from serverpronto since 2007 and don't have to pay anything other than the monthly plan. The server is in their datacenter, so they worry about cooling/network/etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersouse
Посмотреть сообщение
I think hes talking about a hosted dedi, not running a dedi from a physical location he owns. Case in point: I've been renting dedis from serverpronto since 2007 and don't have to pay anything other than the monthly plan. The server is in their datacenter, so they worry about cooling/network/etc.
I am going to assume you are pleased with the service in that case. Do you believe they have the best deal out now? Have you ever had any issues with them?

And yes, I am talking about a hosted dedicated server.

I am quite pleased...but their prices are good because they cater to people who have a minor idea of what they are doing. If you corrupt your OS, they re-image your box and charge you $75. If you keep screwing it up and have to ask them for reboots...eventually they start charging you for reboots.

So yeah, they have a GREAT network connection, they are very responsive to support tickets...but if you don't know what you're doing, you need to be prepared to pay them to fix the things you break.

I'm seriously considering using serverpronto. Would you recommend any OS over another for what I intend to do? (running game servers, web hosting, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKZ227
Посмотреть сообщение
I'm seriously considering using serverpronto. Would you recommend any OS over another for what I intend to do? (running game servers, web hosting, etc.)
CentOS is required for cPanel and DirectAdmin so you would need that and their control panels to host your websites if you are not experienced, because without a Control Panel you will have a pain in the ass setting the websites up. So I would recommend using that OS and use 32bit as it's required for gameservers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake187
Посмотреть сообщение
use 32bit as it's required for gameservers.
This is NOT true. I'm running 64-bit CentOS 6.5 and running:

SAMP servers
Minecraft servers
TF2 servers
more

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersouse
Посмотреть сообщение
This is NOT true. I'm running 64-bit CentOS 6.5 and running:

SAMP servers
Minecraft servers
TF2 servers
more
This is TRUE. You are required to download lib if using 64bit, it can be used yes but it's recommended to use 32bit.