Profiting from a SA:MP server

Someone mentioned that profiting off a SA:MP server (offering VIP benefits, etc.) is a violation of the SA-MP server agreement. Is this true?

define profiting? the way i see it:

Good:

Use the money gained from VIP donations for the server. Such as more time on the lease, more slots. Better hardware etc.

Bad:

Using the money gained from VIP donations for personal stuff that have nothing to do with sa-mp in the slightest. I mean, would you be happy if you found out that your Ј1 donation was helping the server owner buy his weekly shop for example.

tl;dr. Use the donations for the server only. Not for personal gain.

I have personal sources that tell me that in its first year (2010-2011) NGRP raked in a gross profit of $80,000. God knows how many times that has multiplied in the past two years.

Is what they are doing violating the SA-MP server agreement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKZ227
Посмотреть сообщение
I have personal sources that tell me that in its first year (2010-2011) NGRP raked in a gross profit of $80,000. God knows how many times that has multiplied in the past two years.

Is what they are doing violating the SA-MP server agreement?
Yea the owner only uses 50% of it towards the real server...The rest goes towards him personal self

he was wrong. monetizing SAMP itself is indeed not allowed, like reselling.
profiting by offering services like servers, scripting/lessons, harvesting donations etc, is completedly legal, and nobody can tell you otherwise, unless you talk to a piece of cheese.
i could make a trackmania server and sell 1 extra nitro per race for Ђ1000 per month.
when i give a homeless some change, i KNOW he will spend it for alcohol, drugs, hookers. do you think he will save it to buy a mansion? a bigger hat maybe?
what happens with donations, is not of players' concern - the recipient may use it however desired.

Yes, Babul is right. Users should only be concerned if it says beforehand the intentions that may pertain specifically to the server. Anyway, be careful on who you donate too. Some servers rake a few donations up then they close down, with their earnings. Typically though, SAMP servers don't generate much income anyway.

As the guy above me mentioned, SA-MP servers don't generate alot of profit, if any. The server owner has to pay for the resources to host the server and keep it stable, they also have to spend alot of time coding/bugfixing and what not, so there's no harm in the server owner profiting. Ultimately it's up to the player if they wish to donate anyway.

Profiting for personal use is against the rules, using it for the server is not. But it's meaningless, the rule, since no Kalcor is going to check what amount is raked in and what amount of it is actually being used for the server.

What do you mean it's against the rules? I think the rules are implying that money can't be made from SAMP itself. ie: selling the game client (lol).

You are allowed to use donation money on whatever you please, though you'd be morally obliged not to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard145
Посмотреть сообщение
Yea the owner only uses 50% of it towards the real server...The rest goes towards him personal self
You have a way of proving that? Cause your wrong, he pays his Scripters, Staff, and the overall NGG business (including their hosting)
So your wrong, they don't use it on themselves, cause if they did they wouldn't be working IRL