Protecting personal works

Hi, I was wondering, how could I obtain copyrights(or anything else) to protect my scripts. It's really annoying when someone steals your work, and I don't want this to happen with DRP. So, what possibilities I have?

Quote:

Where can work be registered?

In Kenya, copyrighted works can be registered at the Kenya Copyrights Board for a small fee.
In the United Kingdom, commercial services provide a registration facility where copies of work can be lodged to establish legal evidence of a copyright claim. In the UK, there are also requirements to file certain published works with the British Library and, on request, the five legal deposit libraries.
In the United States, the United States Copyright Office accepts registrations. For works created in the US by US citizens, a registration is also required before an infringement suit may be filed in a US court. Furthermore, copyright holders cannot claim statutory damages or attorney's fees unless the work was registered prior to infringement, or within three months of publication.

Source: Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_registration

There is also a table with requirements by country in the page above

All content provided by SA-MP is owned by Rockstar Games, you can not copyright a code for someone else's already copyrighted game for a mod owned by someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ******
Посмотреть сообщение
You can copyright parts, and parts you write are automatically copyright to you so you don't need to do anything.
So you can take legal action against whoever claimed these parts as theirs without the need to register the parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_hual
Посмотреть сообщение
So you can take legal action against whoever claimed these parts as theirs without the need to register the parts?
I believe you are correct. Copyright is an automatic right. Registration is just evidence of ownership for the courts if something were to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchurmanCQC
Посмотреть сообщение
I believe you are correct. Copyright is an automatic right. Registration is just evidence of ownership for the courts if something were to happen.
So you're saying I could go out, buy one of the Harry Potter books, remove the part about Dumbledore's death and keep him alive, then I would get automatic copyright of Harry Potter v2?

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
No, because you still copied parts! It is only automatic on things you yourself created, you didn't create that.
But I created that Dumbledore didn't die, that's my part, so should I be allowed to copyright that? With your theory I could pick up any book, edit my "part" in and it will be automatically copyrighted. Or any other persons work/art for that matter. I could pick up the Mona Lisa, give her a nice bushy mustache and call that "part" my own.

It's the same for SA-MP/GTA SA. Harry Potter is owned by Warner Bro's/J.K Rowling/Whoever. San Andreas is basically a book, why are people allowed to add in what they want and call that "part" their own? They can't, unless it's 100% your own created content or with the permission of the original creator/s.

Because they are PARTS! you was saying that if you added that dumbledore didn't die you could copyright the whole book!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefatshizms
Посмотреть сообщение
Because they are PARTS! you was saying that if you added that dumbledore didn't die you could copyright the whole book!
No, I'm stating that my part in which Dumbledore doesn't die is now legally copyrighted automatically by me. According to what people are saying, this is just an analogy for the SA-MP script copyright issue that always pops-up.

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
Yes, but you have to be VERY careful if you do go down that route. Don't forget that any includes you use (including a_samp) are NOT owned by you so your use of them can be construed as copyright breach in itself, as can any use of R* game resources. That's the main reason SA:MP is quite relaxed with regards to copyright as it in itself is in somewhat of a grey area. So if you DO take legal action you can end up in more trouble yourself.
Read this first !