Resources needed for running a server with 500 players connected? VPS / dedicated server.

Hello.

I currently have a server that has 450 players connected hosted at some game hosting company in Romania and it's pretty expensive. It will cost $60+ for 500 slots. Since I do have to pay a ton of money for hosting the samp server, I was thinking about getting a VPS / dedicated server at the same price that I also can use to host other stuff ( teamspeak, a few websites, maybe a cs / small minecraft server ).

I'm using a gamemode that uses mysql for most stuff and some text files for logging some stuff. It's not the most optimized gamemode ever, but it's not a GF edit, I'm not saving data every second and stuff like that. I also use y_timers and I have 3-4 timers that run every second and 5-6 timers that run every 5-60 seconds.

I tried hosting the server on a VPS before, but after 200+ players connected it started lagging. The CPU and RAM usage wasn't on 100%. Not sure why. Can a server lag because of the CPU/RAM even if it's not at 100%? The CPU usage was at 60%.

So, what resources would a server need to host a 500 players server?
It's using a game hosting company the best solution?

Don't. I guess you are aiming to buy from KingJ or Volt-Host, for both providers I can assure you'll start experiencing problems when over 150 players are on. I know few people having/had the same problem with them.

Just buy a VPS from a reputable company that doesn't overload, you'll be fine with a 1 GB of RAM (if your script is optimized, but I'd rather take 1.5 or 2 if possible). And unlimited traffic. I'd suggest checking out domVPS.com for Europe locations, if you are aiming for USA, rethinkVPS.com. I've had multiple services with them, rarely had any problems. And they are very cheap for what they offer to you.

I'd recommend 2GB - 4GB depending on how much resources you gamemode may use at once, I also recommend buying from www.nextgenhost.net, they are also affordable. Bandwidth of your choice, would also recommend using CentOS 6 as your operating system, and managed services (for like ddos protection, etc) for your safety.

Good luck!

You will be able to run it with 1 GB of RAM easily, that's just how the script runs, players don't effect it that much. As long as you have a good network card and fast internet, you will be good.

Hello,

If you message me on these forums, I might be able to set you up with a Dedicated Server OR VPS that will fit your needs. The server I'd provide, would use OVH's Infrastructure, but would be way cheaper with more support.

Regards,
MD5