How to Roleplay(For new people)

Okay so RPing isn't as hard as it looks. The commands might be a bit different in each server, But that's about it. Most servers don't allow you to use "Un-Roleplay" Names such as..-Future_Criminal. Most Roleplay servers expect easy simple names like.. Vinny_Anderson.

Some OOC Knowledge the expect you to know..
Almost all Roleplay servers have factions and such more. Most factions you need to take a roleplay and OOC (Out Of Character) Test. The OOC Test will mostly contain simple RP knowledge. Here are some definitions of OOC RP Knowledge.
DeathMatching(DM) - Killing someone without a valid Roleplay reason. This rule counts for almost all servers, No one wants to be DMed. It gets annoying.
Roleplaying(RP) - Taking a role, And playing it. You act like you act in real life. If you do not roleplay, You most likely will suffer the servers consequences. For example..- Being jailed,Kicked,Fined, Or even frozen.
In Character(IC) - Information and everything else that is only involving your Character. You're characters driving,skills,shooting,eating & drinking. And even playing with other characters.
Out Of Character(OOC) - Things and information that involve you in real life. There will be things that will let you talk OOC in an IC situation.. Such as using )) at the end of your OOC sentence. Here is an example of talking OOC to someone(Make sure you do /b to talk OOC) - /b Hey, Are you getting on skype soon?. And to talk OOC in an IC situation, You MUST do )). Ex - Hey, Are you getting on skype soon? ))
MetaGaming(MG) - Talking OOC in an IC situation. This is forbidden in almost ALL servers. If you MG, You will suffer consequences.
PowerGaming(PG) - Doing something that cannot be done in real life. For example - /me turns into iron man.-Blowing up the universe.
RevengeKill(RK) - Killing someone that recently killed you to get revenge.
KillingOnSight(KOS) - This is associated with DMing. Randomly killing everyone you see. Or in you're sight.
CarRaming(CK, But there are other meanings for CK) - Attempting to physically hurt, Kill, Or just knock them down. This is a form of Non-rp.

Easy ways to Roleplay..
Using /me and /do to show your actions. Here's a good example of a little RP..- /me looks around.-Keeping one eyebrow higher than the other. /me reaches his right hand out to his right pocket.-Withdrawing a cigarette. /me places the cigarette to their lips.-Lighting the cigarette. /do You hear the lighter go off. /me takes a big puff. /do I would be coughing.
That's just simple RP. That could have been turned into anything, And more detail could have been added.

I hope this guide helped you new people out!
- If you have further questions on how to Roleplay or anything, Feel free to send me a PM.

Let's review some flaws...

Quote:

MetaGaming(MG) - Talking OOC in an IC situation.

No. Meta-gaming is when you're using OOC information IC (generally for some form of benefit). So for example, you're an administrator on the server and during your spectating rounds (when you go through and spec random players), you happen to see one of your gang members is being spied on by the police.

If you go and tell your gang member that they're ICly being spied on, YOU are meta-gaming.

Quote:

PowerGaming(PG) - Doing something that cannot be done in real life. For example - /me turns into iron man.-Blowing up the universe.

That's not generally what the term "power-gaming" is referring to. Simply put, you can't just /me hits John in the face knocking him out cold

Due to the way that we must RP in SA:MP (using commands), you have to give someone a chance to /me ducks if you /me throws a punch directly towards John's nose

Quote:

KillingOnSight(KOS) - This is associated with DMing. Randomly killing everyone you see. Or in you're sight.

This term is over used by the servers which use GF and NGG edits and is complete nonsense. It depends on the server you're playing out exactly how you can kill people, or really, how often. If a server allows someone to be a mass murderer, then that character WOULD go around killing people. However, typically, most servers don't allow such behavior as it only gives someone the ability to go around DMing, but with an "IC reason."

Quote:

CarRaming(CK, But there are other meanings for CK) - Attempting to physically hurt, Kill, Or just knock them down. This is a form of Non-rp.

No, no, no. Car-ramming is NOT a form of character-killing. It would be when another player is using their car to continually ram into other characters and/or other vehicles. However, again, this is one of those terms coined by GF and NGG edit servers.

--

Lastly, /do is not to be used like this: /do S/F? (meaning success or fail, after performing a /me). /do is a way to describe the enviornment around you/other characters. For example, you just killed someone and the cops show up. You would say /do There is a body laying face down with three bullet wounds in its back.

Or, in your example: /do You WOULD hear the lighter.

No, if I'm not close enough to you, I'm not going to hear anything from a lighter. The correct usage of doing that /do (even though it's absolutely pointless) would be /do You might hear the sound from the lighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealCop228
Посмотреть сообщение
Let's review some flaws...

No. Meta-gaming is when you're using OOC information IC (generally for some form of benefit). So for example, you're an administrator on the server and during your spectating rounds (when you go through and spec random players), you happen to see one of your gang members is being spied on by the police.

If you go and tell your gang member that they're ICly being spied on, YOU are meta-gaming.

That's not generally what the term "power-gaming" is referring to. Simply put, you can't just /me hits John in the face knocking him out cold

Due to the way that we must RP in SA:MP (using commands), you have to give someone a chance to /me ducks if you /me throws a punch directly towards John's nose

This term is over used by the servers which use GF and NGG edits and is complete nonsense. It depends on the server you're playing out exactly how you can kill people, or really, how often. If a server allows someone to be a mass murderer, then that character WOULD go around killing people. However, typically, most servers don't allow such behavior as it only gives someone the ability to go around DMing, but with an "IC reason."

No, no, no. Car-ramming is NOT a form of character-killing. It would be when another player is using their car to continually ram into other characters and/or other vehicles. However, again, this is one of those terms coined by GF and NGG edit servers.

--

Lastly, /do is not to be used like this: /do S/F? (meaning success or fail, after performing a /me). /do is a way to describe the enviornment around you/other characters. For example, you just killed someone and the cops show up. You would say /do There is a body laying face down with three bullet wounds in its back.

Or, in your example: /do You WOULD hear the lighter.

No, if I'm not close enough to you, I'm not going to hear anything from a lighter. The correct usage of doing that /do (even though it's absolutely pointless) would be /do You might hear the sound from the lighter.
Totally agree'd, I actually laughed at the Car Ram one, and yeah /do s/f is the one thing that I hate the most, especially the players that I try to teach that it's not right usage and they tell me "You don't know how to roleplay" So I'm like "Ya' sure" :/

I was on the phone as I was doing this so I didn't see that..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyLyve
Посмотреть сообщение
I was on the phone as I was doing this so I didn't see that..
Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know I was disturbing when I called.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealCop228
Посмотреть сообщение
This exact situation is very, very stupid in my opinion. Your character has fists or weapons. Use them. You're playing a 3D video game not a text-based game on IRC. If anything, the server should implement some RNG for situations like this. Like if you press left click to punch someone the server would then determine the chance of landing a hit and/or doing damage based on various factors like health and specific skills and whatnot. Leaving the outcome of a fight to the players is, again in my opinion, a very bad idea. No one fancies their nose being broken so if given the chance most players would probably prefer to duck. Unfortunately life doesn't work that way. In a real fight you don't have half a minute to decide that you're going to duck to avoid a punch in the face.

Edit: didn't realize this thread is from 2013. Still, nothing much has changed so the statement still stands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
Посмотреть сообщение
This exact situation is very, very stupid in my opinion. Your character has fists or weapons. Use them. You're playing a 3D video game not a text-based game on IRC. If anything, the server should implement some RNG for situations like this. Like if you press left click to punch someone the server would then determine the chance of landing a hit and/or doing damage based on various factors like health and specific skills and whatnot. Leaving the outcome of a fight to the players is, again in my opinion, a very bad idea. No one fancies their nose being broken so if given the chance most players would probably prefer to duck. Unfortunately life doesn't work that way. In a real fight you don't have half a minute to decide that you're going to duck to avoid a punch in the face.
Exactly, that's why roleplay is boring/lame. Till the of today, no-one has actually told me why they like roleplay servers. Ones that I ask don't seem to come up with a logical answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulice
Посмотреть сообщение
Exactly, that's why roleplay is boring/lame. Till the of today, no-one has actually told me why they like roleplay servers. Ones that I ask don't seem to come up with a logical answer.
Roleplay is not "boring/lame" imo. Players that says roleplay server sucks, probably joined a shitty roleplay server with shitty roleplay skills, or never played roleplay servers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast3r
Посмотреть сообщение
Totally agree'd, I actually laughed at the Car Ram one, and yeah /do s/f is the one thing that I hate the most, especially the players that I try to teach that it's not right usage and they tell me "You don't know how to roleplay" So I'm like "Ya' sure" :/
Man this guy once time told I should have "/me started to walk" or I wasn't allowed to walk, like wtf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt-2
Посмотреть сообщение
Man this guy one time told I should have "/me started to walk" or I wasn't allowed to walk, like wtf.
ikr, so dumb