Motivation

I started playing with concepts for a server about 2 years ago, and they never really took off at all, until about a year ago I started a CnR mode. Development went really slow and eventually ground to a halt and I stopped working on it. About 3 or 4 months ago I started working on it again and got quite a lot of stuff done, but recently (last month or so) my motivation for it has been going down so much that I literally haven't scripted anything in weeks.

I'm not sure what's causing this motivational drop; college? Not really. No free time? No. Going off SA-MP/GTA? Never! Going off scripting? Possibly. I want to go in to a game programmer career and am actually enrolled on a Software Engineering college course next year, and I still want to do it. I think one of my problems is trying to be better than I am. When I'm writing a script I'm constantly thinking about how it'll turn out, if it's efficient, if i'll be able to come back to it in 5 months and know what the code does etc. and all of these things seem to conflict with eachother. If I made it easily editable/readable, it's less efficient.

For example, ******. With all due respect (I have a lot of respect for ******), I can barely read a single line of YSI and understand, without hours of analysis and confusion, what it does. Is it me that isn't good enough to read it, or does ****** over-complicate things? I've always thought he over-complicates things, but then again programming can be very complicated. Am I cut out for this?

Here's what I'm talking about (Assuming ****** wrote this..)

pawn Код:
new
slot = playerid / _FIXES_ATTACHMENTS,
shift = playerid % _FIXES_ATTACHMENTS * MAX_PLAYER_ATTACHED_OBJECTS;
FIXES_gsObjectSlots[slot] &= ~((1 << MAX_PLAYER_ATTACHED_OBJECTS) - 1 << shift);

FIXES_gsObjectSlots[playerid / _FIXES_ATTACHMENTS] &= ~((1 << MAX_PLAYER_ATTACHED_OBJECTS) - 1 << playerid % _FIXES_ATTACHMENTS * MAX_PLAYER_ATTACHED_OBJECTS);

PutPlayerInVehicle(playerid, FIXES_gsVehicleSeatData[playerid] & 0x00FFFFFF, FIXES_gsVehicleSeatData[playerid] >>> 24);
                        FIXES_gsPlayerBools[playerid] &= ~e_FIXES_BOOLS_PUT_IN_VEHICLE;
To be honest most of the stuff I can't read is simply because I haven't learnt that fully, such as bit shifting. It seems really confusing to me, but so did everything programming related back in '07!

I also have a pretty low attention span and am very impatient - not something you want to be if programming!

Another thing I forgot to mention. As I mentioned I want to be a games programmer, I think I view SA-MP as more of a game engine than what it is. Here's a quote from Kye:

Quote:

SA-MP is still a multiplayer extension for GTA: San Andreas. It doesn't pretend to be its own game engine.

I expect too much from SA-MP. I'm constantly annoyed that x feature doesn't exist and y feature is a little bit buggy and I have to spend 15 minutes making a workaround. Perhaps I should download a free game engine and start learning C++?

BAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I still really enjoy playing SA-MP, and generally enjoy scripting (I think one of the main things that helps you be a good programmer is if you ENJOY it) but it just seems to be MYSELF which is the problem. Things are okay in life right now (I'm at college) so I don't know what's up D:

Someone recommended that I take a break of a month or so, but to be honest I've been doing that forever.

Someone tell me something positive <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP2
Посмотреть сообщение

Anyway, I know what you're feeling. Getting yourself motivated to do something can be quite a pain, I still have the same feeling towards SA-MP and Pawn. Not towards any other language or assignment I've been doing though...

Everyone feels like that.
You don't need to worry about programming as a job - they pay in money.

I know that feel, bro. I've been "working" on a CnR for the last three years or so (some changelogs mention 2010, indeed) but I never felt that the gamemode was complete. I played with the thought of releasing the script several times, but then again I didn't want to give out something that I spent so much time on.

I understand where you are coming from completely. I am yet to finish a complete gamemode script to this day. The only projects I have seen followed through are ones that I have contributed to, not started alone. For me, it's the fact that there are some parts of creating a mode I simply cannot stand; such as creating class selection, etc. Along with that, I am also very paranoid and a perfectionist. I see someone who created something better than mine, so I feel instantly worthless. The problem is I don't actually take the time to learn to do what I saw, instead give up completely until the next idea pops into my head.

Overall, I think it's just a lack of seeing something through as well. I don't really talk to anyone from SA:MP on a day to day basis, so really don't have anyone to encourage me on or bounce ideas off of. Without knowing someone is looking forward to your work, what is the point in continuing?

I too am looking for a career in the gaming industry. I do highly suggest you start researching C++ and an abundance of other languages if you haven't done so already. Pawn is a neat little language, but isn't nearly as complicated as things will get with other languages. It's also worth pointing out that you may learn the language overnight, but actually getting around to learning all the APIs and what not is going to take you years. That is what is such a kill-joy for me, not knowing I can be like "I want to create this" and have it done within the next couple days (like you could with SA:MP). It's very tedious, boring, and bothersome, but definitely necessary. Programming isn't fit for everyone, especially professionally, so consider reading into the career side of it more closely before you fully commit.

In regards to ****** and YSI; there are portions of it that I would consider "over complicated". By that, I mean they can be done without creating all the advanced macros. In my honest opinion, I would even think doing so would make bug fixing and expanding the code in general much easier. You have to remember however, ****** programs professionally. He knows how to keep track and comment everything to make it clear in case he forgets something. He also knows how to efficiently read through code and comprehend what it does rather quickly. Comparing any of our work to his is senseless. So, saying it's "over complicated" from our standpoint, sure. But from his, most likely not.

EDIT: I just saw the code you posted by ******. What exactly don't you understand about it?

Oh and I should also mention that I'm working on it ALONE. I was working on it with blewert (an ex SA-MP beta tester) but he left and is never really online anymore). Could have been done by now. I've been planning to complete it (or at least have it in a relatively-playable state) by September, but idk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakr
Посмотреть сообщение
I just saw the code you posted by ******. What exactly don't you understand about it?
All of it lol. That was just a quick bit I found in fixes.inc, but there's other stuff I cba to find.

I'll learn one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP2
Посмотреть сообщение
I started playing with concepts for a server about 2 years ago, and they never really took off at all, until about a year ago I started a CnR mode. Development went really slow and eventually ground to a halt and I stopped working on it. About 3 or 4 months ago I started working on it again and got quite a lot of stuff done, but recently (last month or so) my motivation for it has been going down so much that I literally haven't scripted anything in weeks.

I'm not sure what's causing this motivational drop; college? Not really. No free time? No. Going off SA-MP/GTA? Never! Going off scripting? Possibly. I want to go in to a game programmer career and am actually enrolled on a Software Engineering college course next year, and I still want to do it. I think one of my problems is trying to be better than I am. When I'm writing a script I'm constantly thinking about how it'll turn out, if it's efficient, if i'll be able to come back to it in 5 months and know what the code does etc. and all of these things seem to conflict with eachother. If I made it easily editable/readable, it's less efficient.

For example, ******. With all due respect (I have a lot of respect for ******), I can barely read a single line of YSI and understand, without hours of analysis and confusion, what it does. Is it me that isn't good enough to read it, or does ****** over-complicate things? I've always thought he over-complicates things, but then again programming can be very complicated. Am I cut out for this?

Here's what I'm talking about (Assuming ****** wrote this..)

pawn Код:
new
slot = playerid / _FIXES_ATTACHMENTS,
shift = playerid % _FIXES_ATTACHMENTS * MAX_PLAYER_ATTACHED_OBJECTS;
FIXES_gsObjectSlots[slot] &= ~((1 << MAX_PLAYER_ATTACHED_OBJECTS) - 1 << shift);

FIXES_gsObjectSlots[playerid / _FIXES_ATTACHMENTS] &= ~((1 << MAX_PLAYER_ATTACHED_OBJECTS) - 1 << playerid % _FIXES_ATTACHMENTS * MAX_PLAYER_ATTACHED_OBJECTS);

PutPlayerInVehicle(playerid, FIXES_gsVehicleSeatData[playerid] & 0x00FFFFFF, FIXES_gsVehicleSeatData[playerid] >>> 24);
                        FIXES_gsPlayerBools[playerid] &= ~e_FIXES_BOOLS_PUT_IN_VEHICLE;
To be honest most of the stuff I can't read is simply because I haven't learnt that fully, such as bit shifting. It seems really confusing to me, but so did everything programming related back in '07!

I also have a pretty low attention span and am very impatient - not something you want to be if programming!

Another thing I forgot to mention. As I mentioned I want to be a games programmer, I think I view SA-MP as more of a game engine than what it is. Here's a quote from Kye:

I expect too much from SA-MP. I'm constantly annoyed that x feature doesn't exist and y feature is a little bit buggy and I have to spend 15 minutes making a workaround. Perhaps I should download a free game engine and start learning C++?

BAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I still really enjoy playing SA-MP, and generally enjoy scripting (I think one of the main things that helps you be a good programmer is if you ENJOY it) but it just seems to be MYSELF which is the problem. Things are okay in life right now (I'm at college) so I don't know what's up D:

Someone recommended that I take a break of a month or so, but to be honest I've been doing that forever.

What the fuk.. I'm serious you have posted exactly what I'm having.. I'm making a cnr low motivation want to be a game programmer etc you litrally quoted what I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP2
Посмотреть сообщение
All of it. lol

I'll learn one day.
I think what is confusing you there is bit manipulation - look it up!

I started learning it about a month ago and somehow 'forgot' to carry on :P

It looks like it could be pretty simple if you knew what it did.

This looks promising:

http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial...operators.html

And this, here on this forum!

https://sampforum.blast.hk/showthread.php?tid=177523