Someone should make a PostgreSQL plugin

Mysql sucks, it has been discussed thousands of times here and a million of times on the world. Looking for better alternatives? I suggest someone creates a PostgreSQL plugin, much better than MySQL.

And knowing the size of the playerbase a server could have max, let's say 32k (deleting inactive accounts for x time etc), then you only need premature optimizations, while in MySQL you need to bang your head to the ceiling until you fine-tune everything yourself.

I have no server (so no need for it) and (probbly) not the time to create one so I just suggest it here.

Looking at different types of usage, like here: http://www.wikivs.com/wiki/MySQL_vs_...eSQL#Raw_Speed

And thousands of other results, for sa-mp you use InnoDB, MyIsam would be a real fail with MySQL + SA-MP. And sa-mp servers using PostgreSQL would really benefit because there is one engine, one community, one big open source project which is greatly improved.

I do not intend to participate in a discussion "which is better" or "why is mysql wrong". Server owners which are a bit more advanced in coding and managing servers and databases will understand me.

But just to support my post here are a few links:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8...ql-5-6-innodb/
http://dba.stackexchange.com/questio...nd-postgresql/
http://www.openlogic.com/wazi/bid/18...urce-Database/
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...s-environment/
Also: Mysql's default memory usage is set higher (256 mb of ram, but you can lower that) than the PostgreSQL's one (32 mb) which is more usefull on MANY VPS's which sa-mp server owners, own.

Nothing is wrong with mysql, learn to use it and you will not have problems...

Mysql easy, if you are good learner, it's nothing for you

I have a SQL Server plugin myself, but I still think MySQL just fits my needs.

MySQL to store datas into a database...use Socket plugin to sync data in real time then you could save them with any other system

MySQL it's perfect ... if you know how to use it 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_Z
Посмотреть сообщение
Server owners which are a bit more advanced in coding and managing servers and databases will understand me.
I am "a bit more advanced" and I still can't understand you. ******** and a lot of big websites with millions of users are using MySQL and they are running fine. I doubt a server with maximum of 1000 players will ever have problems. Also, MySQL is more used by the hosting companies, so if you're gonna start a new server and you request a PostgreSQL database they might not be able to offer it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan..
Посмотреть сообщение
I doubt a server with maximum of 1000 players will ever have problems.
Depends how are you going to use, looping, setting a low timer, onplayerupdate are the worst ways to use MySQL.

Lol @ people who learn MySQL. You are nearly the same as those who learnt Pawno.

You learn SQL (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQL) which is then used by MySQL, SQLite and even PostgreSQL. I wouldn't mind seeing PostgreSQL plugin, so you have more options to choose from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArcher
Посмотреть сообщение
Depends how are you going to use, looping, setting a low timer, onplayerupdate are the worst ways to use MySQL.
Whoever is doing what you said is an idiot.

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
I am "a bit more advanced" and I still can't understand you. ******** and a lot of big websites with millions of users are using MySQL and they are running fine. I doubt a server with maximum of 1000 players will ever have problems. Also, MySQL is more used by the hosting companies, so if you're gonna start a new server and you request a PostgreSQL database they might not be able to offer it.
and I assume you are running a server with billions of users every day?

As for the hostings, advanced server owners probbly have their own VPSes. not servers in such environments :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_Z
View Post
and I assume you are running a server with billions of users every day?

As for the hostings, advanced server owners probbly have their own VPSes. not servers in such environments :P
Have you ever considered the 1000 player limit SAMP has? You should focus on content and actual gamemode not on some micro-optimizations you won't even feel.

I'm working now on SqlServer plugin for SA:MP

MySQL works fine if you use it right (i.e. threading your queries, not sending stupid queries to the DB, etc).

Quote:
View Post
Have you ever considered the 1000 player limit SAMP has?
You sir, just shot yourself in the foot right now.

MySQL is ment for super large databases, extreme databases with teraytes of data. not for a silly max 1gb database. You have to get a headache of ooptimizations before it will be as good as PostgreSQL in a sa-mp server environment.

Oh come on, people. It really makes practically no difference whether you use MySQL or any other SQL server to store your data. And it is surprising that when someone mentions terabytes of data, it suddenly becomes the most used phrase in these forums. I can agree that MySQL would be the best choice when you have a large scale application with literally tons of information, but does that automatically mean that it'll be slow when it has less data to handle? Besides, MySQL is a very popular database engine (which alone does not make it better than any other) and it is supported by a large amount of hosts, therefore a lot easier to use. Furthermore, it does not require you to come up with workarounds in many cases where SQLite would require (external accessing, etc).

Fact is, however, the more the people have to choose from, the better, so someone will hopefully indeed create a plugin for PostgreSQL.

// and I'm not exactly "pro-MySQL" myself, although I have decided to use it for my largest project, a server which peaked at 200k registered users and something like a 1,3 million rows stored in the database at peak months. It is just that I don't consider a "large project" to start from where someone has a BILLION of rows, I think a few hundred k-s will do to consider it that.

Heh, funny to see this. I was recently researching about PostgreSQL. Seems pretty nice.

just use sqlite.. lol

whats wrong with mysql? if u dont own a server, why do u even give a crap about this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermax7777
View Post
just use sqlite.. lol

whats wrong with mysql? if u dont own a server, why do u even give a crap about this?
He clearly explains what's "wrong" with MySQL in his post. Your comment is so meaningless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolumadd_
View Post
He clearly explains what's "wrong" with MySQL in his post. Your comment is so meaningless.
lol someone stuck up ur ass? nice "useless" comment from you too
Quote:

Mysql sucks I do not intend to participate in a discussion "which is better" or "why is mysql wrong".

ye nice explain "clearly" .. basically he says its unoptimized.. k if it is that bad it wouldn't been created in the first place