A Different kind of RP Server

This isn't an advertisement.

Now I understand SAMP is flooded daily by servers claiming to be roleplay and claiming to be the best and never really live up to the bill. I came up with an idea recently that seemed rather interesting. A roleplay server with an actual story behind it. Rather than the players be in a server with the same storyline as all the others, just log in and go, this server would have a short lore and characters would have to relate to this lore.

Take this short bit of lore I wrote for an upcoming server project:
Quote:

It's December 24th 2012; three days ago something happened in the World. Electronics failed, mechanics failed,
things started to stop working. Nevada, where you resided at the time, experienced three days and nights of
darkness. A cloud of grey mist fell over the town, and no matter how far you walked, it never seemed to end.

Rumor began to circulate around the small town of Fort Carson of an illness in the chest caused by this odd
smoke. The Rumor proved true. People began to die. By now all communications were lost, and cars failed to
operate. People would walk for miles and miles in one direction promising they would return but never did.

You, being the smart one, remained in your residence.

On the 23rd of December, a relatively large group of men armed with pellet guns rode in to the town with a
proposal. These men were military, well, ex-military you thought anyway. Their leader was a redneck, but
spoke with intelligence.

"These are the last days of our world" you remembered he said,
"come with me, and hope to out last this smoke."

You traveled with the group, the walk took a considerable amount of time. This place they ran was situated
next to a Military base, or at least you thought that. It looked like a large prison, and that's exactly what it
would be until Civilization repaired itself. You were led in to a conference room, where a video played explaining
things. It effectively said you would be imprisoned, but will survive. And survival is all you want.

Well, people started cropping up more every hour. The Redneck, who prefers 'Warden', says it's safe here. They
have a system of filtering to help with the smoke within the walls. The safety promised only begs the question,
what does this Warden want?

Now this lore would be influenced by events on the server, and would be molded by the actions of the characters in the server. Thoughts? What kind of problems do you think would crop up following this idea? Would it be better than just letting the players do what they wanted?

Well listen in my opinion a "Story behind the theme of roleplaying ain't really new heard alot before" but one of the keys to success not to have an empty city i mean like to make it playable even for the player on his own for example something like "Player goes to become a trucker not just a point to /join no he go into an interior talk with an npc [Which is the director of the job] and then he fill in an application and he is in and he got a limit of successful trucks to do each day or he will be fired etc etc etc... give it some life and a reason to live.

I've seen several roleplay servers that already do that, especially zombie-roleplaying ones.

Hmm.
If you need stuff for it. i will do it .. BOZ as i said. i trying to CREATE A NEW SAMP WORLD: as a maper as my opetions to..
All houses and buldings have NO TP enter. all can have a door. that can open and lock.
Can be there Apartmends.
and more I CAN MAP THEM! TELL ME IF YOU READY TO TRY! AND IF YOU GOT A SCRIPTER AND A HOST:
I CAN MAP ALL FOR YOU!

Sounds interesting, id play there...

Sounds like a really cool videogame campaign, not a sa-mp server lol

I'd play it!

For it to work, it'd require an extensive registration system in which the players understand the lore and have their character set up to meet the lore's requirements.

I like the hearing of a lore-based server. But be aware, that just putting a story in the game, that the player can read, is always a good idea. You have to put the player in the story, immerse him in it. If the story is too general, the player probably isn't interested.

I have a small private server with a lore around it. It's about two guys who found a deserted island by the coast of Los Santos one day. They wanted to inhabit it and founded a small town. The idea of the lore is that it progresses with the people who play on it. The first version of the island was just a few houses, but as more people play on the server, the town starts to grow slowly. The idea is that it will reach the status of a metropolitan city, but that's an enormous distance into the future. Anyway, the town is being build piece by piece. Then we add a new shop, then a new street and stuff like that. Every shop has an use, a name and a story around it. We have several NPCs wandering through town which have quite a story around them. People in my server don't just recognize those as just a NPC, but as a person. One example is Bert, who's the owner of a bar on the island. Everyone on my server knows his name, even though the only reference to his name is the name of the shop: "Berts Bierhuis", which is only shown in the buying menu. Same goes for Achmed the priest and Giovanni the business guy, who are NPC people on my server as well.

Besides that, me and some friends of mine did once a story-driven Halloween event. (Although, I had a very small part in that, they did the most.) It was about the devil taking over the island in my server, capturing Achmed the priest and dooming the island. The idea was that to find the devil, you had to go through several "dream worlds". Some acted as an alternate dimension, some as a creepy environment. To be honest, the story wasn't that great, but the idea was pretty awesome.

I really like the idea of a story-driven multiplayer game. I have several ideas I want to put in action some day, but not all of them are suitable in SA-MP. I have kind of written a sequel to the Halloween event mentioned above, but I haven't had the time to put it in action last Halloween.

It sounds cool, but play in there for 30 minutes you'll die in boringness. At least with that story. How about old good 2008.