Facetracking fun on chatroulette - Webcam Sandbox

Im posting this in an own thread, instead of the video thread, because its not mainly about the video, but about the software and hardware behind it, so dont tell me "wrong thread"

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl5gP8uRCQU[/ame]

This video shows one of my current software (and hardware) "masterpieces". I call it Webcam Sandbox. Its all based on Java, and OpenCV for getting webcam images and some algorithms. WS is an extremely modular "webcam sandbox" that allows to do all kind of (mostly useless but funny) shit. It offers a wide set of functions that can be linked with each other, e.g. screen capturing, face detection, and subimages, can be linked to make a face display as seen in the video, but also allows stuff like object tracking or motion alarms. All that stuff can also be recorded to files. The ******* video itself was recorded using WS. Really funny to play with that. I even made anaglyphic holograms with it, using headtracking dynamic rendering.

In this video, WS tracks the face of random chatroulette partners, and uses their onscreen position to move my second camera (right to my screen on the bottom left image). This camera is mounted to two cheap servos, that are connected to a Pololu servocontroller. The actually sent image is the image of the second camera, that shows my screen and the other cam.

Hardware and software already are in developement for quite a while (thats also a reason why my work on RNPC progresses that slowly ). The software was initially just a click-and-move for the servo control, and the servocam already is the third or fourth prototype. Costs for it are just below 50Ђ, where the webcam makes more than a half of that price.

Here are also some high-res images of the servocam, one showing the previous prototype with the old webcam and lots of rubber bands, and the others the current one with, and without laser mounted (though cablemanagement is way better now, the photos are some weeks old).

http://imageshack.us/g/1/9875931/

So, just wanted to present that, I never released anything about that yet, and thought it might be funny to do so.
Open for suggestions what you would like to see

Don't mean to patronize you, but this looks really cool.

lol looks funny idk why

Good job, have to ask though why did you decide to go with Java? Not that it's a bad choise at all though, just wondering.

Good job, I've had an idea like this, though I haven't had the pacience to do so...
I couldn't program the Java bit, though I could make the servo.

I can do this, hold my beer and mind my pizza...

Amazing, wish I could download your knowledge onto my brain :P

Thanks for the feedback so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by playbox12
Посмотреть сообщение
Good job, have to ask though why did you decide to go with Java? Not that it's a bad choise at all though, just wondering.
Well, it all started as a hobby (and still is), I got no plans whether ill release the software somewhere. Sure java sucks when it comes to hardware interactions, but i just picked the language I know best, i didnt want to learn a language while i was seeking to learn about image processing and real-world interactions (c++ would be the alternative for that, but i barely can code in c++, python and c also got interfaces to opencv, but would be hard to realize the modularity with those) Though javas cross-platform compatibility is handy, the software should also run on linux machines, thats good as im planning to attach it to my raspberry to access it via wlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenc_
Посмотреть сообщение
Amazing, wish I could download your knowledge onto my brain :P
Im working on that

This is awesome haha

If you get Track-IR, its way smoother because it is only looking for IR signals emitted from a device that you put on your head, i use it for Arma 2 and Flight Simulator X, its handy to have for shooting games or flying games. Btw anyone play Arma 2 here, pm me your team and if they have a ts3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlolypop
Посмотреть сообщение
If you get Track-IR, its way smoother because it is only looking for IR signals emitted from a device that you put on your head, i use it for Arma 2 and Flight Simulator X, its handy to have for shooting games or flying games. Btw anyone play Arma 2 here, pm me your team and if they have a ts3.
Actually i got a pair of IR diodes mounted to anaglyphic glasses, and use a floppy disk as IR pass filter. Works really well and fluently (I use that for eyetracking holograms, might show that in another video when its good enough). But for stuff like videochat, face- or color detection is the most universal way to interact, just start, connect to the incoming video and its ready
Heard about track-ir a while ago, but kind of forgot checking it, as i focus on making everything myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurazoom
Посмотреть сообщение
Wow this looks so high-tech and professional! I never knew that there was a face tracking device on chatroulette haha
I used that a lot for testing different stuff, but never came across something similar technical there. Would love to meet another geek there
A friend of mine will help me with the next prototype, replacing the hand-sawn wood with exactly made aluminium, later the whole thing will be mounted to a wlan robot, giving chatroulette guys the ability to drive a robot with their movements