Please a quick help about VPS :)

Hi everyone. I wanna ask you two quick questions about a VPS.

1° What Linux OS should I choose? Debian 5 (32bit/64bit), Debian 6 (32bit/64bit), Ubuntu (32/64)?

2° What much bandwidth does a VPS use per month?

Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArcher
Посмотреть сообщение
Hi everyone. I wanna ask you two quick questions about a VPS.

1° What Linux OS should I choose? Debian 5 (32bit/64bit), Debian 6 (32bit/64bit), Ubuntu (32/64)?

2° What much bandwidth does a VPS use per month?

Thanks in advance.
I'd personally go for Ubuntu (any type) and Bandwith depends on what you are gonna do with the VPS.

I'm not sure but I think Debian 5 32bit with 25GB bandwidth is fine for private use

It depends on what you're using it for. I go with CentOS for web servers and Debian (32 bit) for everything else. Bandwidth also varies, a VPS uses nothing if it's doing nothing.

Debian 5 has already reached its life-span, so there won't be any kind of updates or any support. I recommend you Debian 6 or Ubuntu.

Well yes, sorry about the bandwidth specifications. Initially, I will host 2 servers (40 players range both) + web server.

I would recommend Debian 6. It's easy to use and works great. I use it on more than 4 different servers I have for different use (web hosting and game hosting) and never had problems. And the main advantage is that Debian has a big community and you will find a lot of tutorials.

If available use Cent OS 5 or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArcher
Посмотреть сообщение
Well yes, sorry about the bandwidth specifications. Initially, I will host 2 servers (40 players range both) + web server.
I'd use CentOS for that, will your server be using MySQL for the gamemode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgon
Посмотреть сообщение
It depends on what you're using it for. I go with CentOS for web servers and Debian (32 bit) for everything else. Bandwidth also varies, a VPS uses nothing if it's doing nothing.
Yep, CentOS was BUILT for web servers. If you are thinking of setting up some kind of gaming servers on a vps, expect 1-5tb bandwidth. I own 2 vps; both have:

-1.5gb RAM
-2 TB bandwidth
-CentOS - OpenVZ

I think Ubuntu is like the ms-dos of linux.