Mammoth woolly will bring back them ?

Do you think humans will bring back the mammoths ?
http://news.yahoo.com/mammoth-fragme...165221958.html

No, because that'd be stupid. They'd die fast due to new diseases.

I don't think it would be possible bringing back mammoths with the amount of cells they found. It will all probably stay in laboratory.

I'll do it, then open up a theme park called "Pleistocene Park" but it'll get closed because some fat guy comprises security for money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenart
View Post
I don't think it would be possible bringing back mammoths with the amount of cells they found. It will all probably stay in laboratory.
It's possible. They can do it, but I don't think that they got a valid reason for that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by [MM]IKKE
View Post
No, because that'd be stupid. They'd die fast due to new diseases.
That is a bit close minded don't you think?
Lets see it from this perspective, from what I have read on Faqt.nl(A Dutch scientific news site) they will use Elephant dna to help fill in the gaps, sounds alot like Jurrasic park though and besides that:
They were capable of cloning a sheep, sow why not an Mammoth.
Science has progressed alot the passed decades and sow did genetic-research sow I personally think this might just actually have a slight chance of becoming reality!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy
View Post
That is a bit close minded don't you think?
Lets see it from this perspective, from what I have read on Faqt.nl(A Dutch scientific news site) they will use Elephant dna to help fill in the gaps, sounds alot like Jurrasic park though and besides that:
They were capable of cloning a sheep, sow why not an Mammoth.
Science has progressed alot the passed decades and sow did genetic-research sow I personally think this might just actually have a slight chance of becoming reality!
The amount of cloned sheep able to live a normal life is very small.

Apart from that, I'm indeed referring to gene stuff. Of course they don't have 100% of the genes (it'd be a miracle if they had), so you're saying they fill in the gap with other genes.

However, my point actually was: these creatures didn't live for the past 4,000 years. Therefore, they didn't get any genetic evolution since then. In the past 4,000 years, tons of new viruses and bacteria proliferated. Due to evolution, mainly viruses who are better than their precedor. If they made these mammoths alive again, their immunity system wouldn't recognise all these new viruses, and therefore not be resistant against a lot of those. They'd get a lot of diseases this way. If they are still young at the moment they get it, chances are quite high they die.

So I guess it's not worth taking the risk. Isolating them completely isn't an option - there will always be traffic of bacteria. Making the immune is also impossible, as genetic engineering itself isn't that well developped yet. Plus, they can't make them immune to the millions of new bacteria developped since their extinction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [MM]IKKE
View Post
However, my point actually was: these creatures didn't live for the past 4,000 years. Therefore, they didn't get any genetic evolution since then. In the past 4,000 years, tons of new viruses and bacteria proliferated. Due to evolution, mainly viruses who are better than their precedor. If they made these mammoths alive again, their immunity system wouldn't recognise all these new viruses, and therefore not be resistant against a lot of those. They'd get a lot of diseases this way. If they are still young at the moment they get it, chances are quite high they die.
4 thousand years are nothing compared to the 4 million years they existed before that.

You think human body recognizes all viruses and is immune to every new virus which pops up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn
View Post
4 thousand years are nothing compared to the 4 million years they existed before that.

You think human body recognizes all viruses and is immune to every new virus which pops up?
This.

Our immune system adapts every single minute if not second when it is confronted with new bacteria or viruses for that matter. We've found a way to make our body immune against bacteria and viruses that would have been fatal to us, simply by weakening them and having ourselfs injected with these weakened ones in order for our immune system to adapt to them. It doesn't matter if the virus or bacteria is strong when we get infected, as long as our body or rather our immune system adapts to the signature and is able to build antibodies.

In order to have a Mammoth adapt to our current dangerous bacteria and viruses all we'd have to do is isolate it for a period of a few months maybe a year in order to inject it with weakened versions of those viruses and bacteria that could be lethal to the Mammoth. After that, by reproducing themself they automatically share their own blood with the one from the child for a while, making both immune to what originally was done in an isolated area.

It isn't hard at all and viruses and bacteria should be the least of the problem. Even if they have cells, cloning is not something you do everyday. If it wasn't against "ethics" to most people and would have more acceptance we could already have been further in clone development.

Regards.

Quote:
View Post
4millions of years with continuous adaption. Don't adapt and you die. That's called extinction.

People who go out of a coma for some years need to be isolated at first. They weren't able to adapt to a lot of 'missed' viruses while they were in a clean area (the hospital, or at home, inside). Those people need to adapt to the new bacteria. And then we're only talking about 1 to 2 years...

Quote:
View Post
Not all, obviously. But as Extremo said, most. Each flu you get is different from the previous one, as you are already immune against the previous one. Get a disease once, and most of the times your immunity system can block it for 10 years. Your body is very impressive against that, and it uses methods of comparising to scan for possible viruses (each flu virus is alike).

A thing your body also does, is heating up. Most proteins which any living creature use, don't work that good on another temperature. Viruses have an ideal temperature of just below your body temperature. Heating up until a certain point can partly disable the virus, whilst still being able to live (aka use your own proteins). Heating up above 42°C is mortal, due to some own proteins being unable to work anymore.

The diseases we are not immune against are quite infamous. AIDS is an example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremo
View Post
In order to have a Mammoth adapt to our current dangerous bacteria and viruses all we'd have to do is isolate it for a period of a few months maybe a year in order to inject it with weakened versions of those viruses and bacteria that could be lethal to the Mammoth. After that, by reproducing themself they automatically share their own blood with the one from the child for a while, making both immune to what originally was done in an isolated area.
I agree with your methods. After they have grown enough, their immunity system should be able to get immune completely on itself. However, there are flaws:

1. It is practically impossible to completely isolate something. You need to feed them, and can't scan every cell of the food you give.
2. Over 4,000 years, thousands of new diseases have developped. You can't test them all, as you mainly only get immunity after 7 to 10 days after infection. 10 days * 1,000 diseases = quite a lot of years.
3. Chances are big you forget one disease - we don't even know all current ones yet. And if the mammoth gets infected by the forgotten one, all your work might be undone by a human flaw...