[Tutorial] Math 101

Welcome to Math 101!
Hello and welcome to the basics of Math.
Math is very important for solving problems (especially in scripting and computer systems).
Every major country and most developing nations use the same math techniques.
So learning these concepts will help you in life and when developing your next major gamemode or even useful snippets.

In this tutorial you will learn the following:

Content
- Whole Numbers:
- - Standard Notation
- - Addition
- - Subtraction
- - Multiplication
- - Division
- - Rounding and Estimating
- - Solving Equations
- - Problem Solving Techniques
- - Exponential Notation
- - Order of Operations

More coming!

Whole Numbers

Standard Notation
A Digit is simply a number: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, or 9.

Digits have a place-value location.
Large digits have a comma after every three digits called Periods. Note: Some countries don't do this.
Each period has a name: ones, thousands, millions, billions, trillions, etc.
Example:
The United States has 314,354,000 people

To understand the population of a major country, such as the United States, we can use the chart below.

We read this as: Three Hundred Fourteen Million, Three Hundred Fifty-Four Thousand.

Above I showed how to read numbers, now I'll tell you the different types of numbers.
Whole Numbers are the set or collection of numbers: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... Infinity...
There is no such thing as the "largest whole number", we define this as Infinity.
Counting numbers, aka. Natural Numbers, are whole numbers except 0.

Standard Notation is a number expressed as followed: 314,354,000
Expanded Notation is as followed: 314,354,000 = 3 hundred millions + 1 ten million + 4 millions + 3 hundred thousands + 5 ten thousands + 4 thousands + 0 hundred + 0 ten + 0 one
Or, 314,354,000 = 3 hundred millions + 1 ten million + 4 millions + 3 hundred thousands + 5 ten thousands + 4 thousands

We often use Word Names for numbers, as we see the number with our eyes are brain is telling us the word name in our heads sometimes without even realizing it.
Many word names that are in the tens and ones combined usually are combined and have a hyphen (-) between them.
A word name for 72 is "Seventy-Two".
Others like 14 are just "Fourteen".

Most people make the common mistake of saying "One Hundred AND Fourteen", this is wrong!
The word "and" should never appear in any form of word names when using a whole number.
Later on it's exceptable to use the word "and" in decimal notation, but we are not going into that yet.

Addition
Addition is finding the value of two numbers by combining them together: 2 + 2 = 4
We say the Sum of 2 and 2 is 4.
The numbers added, 2 and 2, are called Addends and the value we produced, 4, is the sum.
To add whole numbers we add the ones digit first, tens digit second, hundreds digit third, the thousands digit fourth, and so on.

Example: Ignore the _ to the left of our digits.
_6878
+4995
____3

8 + 5 = 13 on‌es = 1 tens and 3 ones. So we put 3 at the bottom and add 1 to the top of the tens place, called Carrying.

___1
_6878
+4995
___73

Now we move onto the tens. 1 + 7 + 9 = 8 + 9 = 17 tens = 1 hundred and 7 tens. We put 7 at the bottom and 1 to the top of the hundreds place.

__11
_6878
+4995
__873

Now we move onto the hundreds. 1 + 8 + 9 = 9 + 9 = 18 hundreds = 1 thousands and 8 hundreds. We put 8 at the bottom and 1 to the top of the thousands place.

_111
_6878
+4995

And lastly the thousands. 1 + 6 + 4 = 7 + 4 = 11 thousands = 1 ten thousands and 1 thousands. We put 1 at the bottom and 1 for the ten thousands place because there is no ten thousands place in the addends.

Example2:
_3321
_58760
_57957
_28945
+67940

And that's how find the sum of two numbers (add)...

Conclusion
This tutorial is not complete! There's still alot more to cover so check back on this thread from time to time.
Thanks for reading, I will try to get more in as soon as possible.

Edit:
This is discontinued till October, I have a big debate final coming up worth 30% of my grade, so I'm currently studying. When I started this topic a couple days ago, I had no idea about the project. The professor P.M.S.ed or something cause she threw this project at us out of no where.

~ SniperKitty ~

Useless, there are alot of tutorial in the internet about basic concepts of math. i really recommend you start looking for a tutorial a little bit advanced, you could work over trigonometry. but why? many programmers doesn't know how to work over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardo1434
View Post
Useless, there are alot of tutorial in the internet about basic concepts of math. i really recommend you start looking for a tutorial a little bit advanced, you could work over trigonometry. but why? many programmers doesn't know how to work over it.
Mmm... I don't share the same opinion.

I am not quite sure where you're going with this. Quite frankly, if you don't know this then you shouldn't (try to) run a server. Besides, in most non-English speaking countries it is the common rule to use the dot as the thousands separator and the comma as the decimal separator. The comma and the dot also have special meanings in a scripting language, so - in my opinion - explaining that would only create more confusion.

I will go over everything that's math related, a month or two from now I will be going into trigonometry, statistics, and calculus very detailed.
Right now it's just Math, Algebra, and Geometry.

Aint all this taught in class 3?

I dont find too much use of basic maths in scripting, but yes trigonometry is one of the MOST important.