a small question

why do people host there samp server what does hosting mean why can't the person just run the server from there own home?

- if you'll host a server from your house,you'll need fast internet,keep your computer on for many hours and have a strong pc as well.
- hosting is running a public server from dedi server or vps.
- Hosting from a company cost money but host your server 24/7 and with high speed internet (depends on the company you're hosting from)
- people host their servers on samp for power and\or popularity and\or just want to run a server,there are many reasons why people want to host a server,you'll just need to ask them.
but most have the reason above.

Well, I literally nearly killed my PC from hosting from home for a month before I had a job. It was a pain in the ass keeping it on and it was running so hot.

Don't forget cost! Seriously, it can be cheaper to buy hosting than host something at home, depending on your electricity costs.

More importantly though, the internet connectivity from a data centre is far superior than a home connection.
Not only in speed, but general connection quality - Your home connection wasn't designed with hosting servers in mind, let's be serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOXrr
Посмотреть сообщение
Don't forget cost! Seriously, it can be cheaper to buy hosting than host something at home, depending on your electricity costs.

More importantly though, the internet connectivity from a data centre is far superior than a home connection.
Not only in speed, but general connection quality - Your home connection wasn't designed with hosting servers in mind, let's be serious.
That is true, Datacenters use Dedi-lines (thats what I think they call them), It isnt a problem hosting in a house, just need to be aware of all the costs, I mean, you can buy a generator for your house which is probably useless and expensive, also you'd need a dedi-line and I am pretty sure there expensive to, so it isnt impossible to host a server but spending alot on a server is useless when it comes to homes.

The probably most common reason is still missing: people buy server hosting, because they cant manage to host it from their own machine. Most people are unable to forward their servers port in their router, and so others cant connect to it.

Any decent computer or laptop should not overheat if left on all the time. I know a friend who has home hosted a server for years, and gets 15 - 20 players a day!

Also, it's cheaper for me to run a home server than to buy hosting. The wattage was based on a Dell desktop running at 30% CPU. (730 hours in a month)

10.36 pounds in electricity, for 20 players, you can buy a host for .13 us cents a slot. thats 3.90 usd for 30 slots. why would you spend money like that for no reason. its only cheaper to homehost if your parents pay the electric bill, or you get no players. also what do you consider decent? lots of people whohaveservers, their computers arent. good enough for a server of 20 people and their internet isnt good enough either.

well , you can run your server in your own home but you need to turn your pc and your router on for 24/7 . thats why most of the people rather to host on a VPS or dedi , than doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carz0159
Посмотреть сообщение
10.36 pounds in electricity, for 20 players, you can buy a host for .13 us cents a slot. thats 3.90 usd for 30 slots. why would you spend money like that for no reason. its only cheaper to homehost if your parents pay the electric bill, or you get no players. also what do you consider decent? lots of people whohaveservers, their computers arent. good enough for a server of 20 people and their internet isnt good enough either.
I'm just pointing out that people who don't want to buy hosting, or who have a home server for other reasons can run host a SA-MP server.

Home.. Wouldn't last 24/7.

Players can play even you're offline if you bought a host.

Just saying, but some people have real servers at their homes...Not laptops turned on 24/7.

Keep in mind that most ISPs don't allow you to run a server in their basic offers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [MM]IKKE
Посмотреть сообщение
Keep in mind that most ISPs don't allow you to run a server in their basic offers.
why? is it because of not high enough bandwidth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by owen4004
Посмотреть сообщение
why? is it because of not high enough bandwidth?
It constitutes as a server of some kind, which can generate a lot of traffic.

I'm sure you're aware of the 'overselling' concept. Pretty much all domestic ISPs do this all the time, and so their terms of service - although seemingly offering 'unlimited' traffic - will have certain clauses to stop you from abusing it. No servers can be one of those.

It's always a good idea to have a look through your ISP's terms of service once in a while. If you're not too fond of reading it all, pressing CTRL+F and looking for 'servers' should do the trick.