Where to start with scripting?

Hey this is me Songason, and I am not really good at scripting. My wish is to become good at it, so I'm trying to pick up information at experienced scripters, so here is my question:

Where did you start with scripting? Where did you learn it all? Did you take big steps, into the world of scripting or did it all go slow? Thanks!

I've recently started scripting myself. I started with just a old simple roleplay script.(Raven's RolePlay). Its a good script and has many features. I started looking into it and studying everything. Then i just try to edit some stuff in there the way i like. Not big things but working and colors and such. So from my point just started editing some script and get used to the coding. Then work your way up to making your own custom GM.

First of course download the server package from www.sa-mp.com

Then go on the samp wiki - https://sampwiki.blast.hk/

I'd suggest reading the tutorials - https://sampwiki.blast.hk/wiki/Category:Tutorials

Also tutorials on forums - http://forum.sa-mp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70

These tutorials are pretty much well written and will help you understand what's going on. If you get stuck, don't worry, just try everything out as it says in the tutorial. If you don't understand something yet, you will in the future.

Once you start scripting more and more, the more things are going to become clear. Of course first you're going to be confused, but don't give up

Only reading the tutorials will get you nowhere. Always DO it the same and watch the outcome. Script something with a function (if you get parameter errors, go to the SA:MP wiki to see what the parameters should be) and see the outcome.

What i did, it maybe sounds strange, but i downloaded a few gamemodes, and i started editing them..
The more progress i made with editing, the more i knew.
Now, after 6 months or so, i started a scratch game mode, which is nearly done..
Offcoarse only reading/editing will go slow, so like Roperr said earlier, also read the standard documentation and the wiki.
If something doesn't work out, just do something else for a little while, and then continue, don't give up! as soon as you get it it will work out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari_Johnson*
Посмотреть сообщение
What i did, it maybe sounds strange, but i downloaded a few gamemodes, and i started editing them..
The more progress i made with editing, the more i knew.
Now, after 6 months or so, i started a scratch game mode, which is nearly done..
Offcoarse only reading/editing will go slow, so like Roperr said earlier, also read the standard documentation and the wiki.
If something doesn't work out, just do something else for a little while, and then continue, don't give up! as soon as you get it it will work out
What is a scratch game mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songason
Посмотреть сообщение
What is a scratch game mode?
A brand new gamemode, from the start, not editing, made purely yourself.

Remember to use libraries and released includes! Trust me, it'll help you develop quicker and faster. And it doesn't mean that you don't know how to script if you use them. They just make your job easier.

I actually read a lot of tutorials on this forum and then I decided to make a DM script from scratch which works out pretty good. I would suggest you to download someone elses GM and learn stuff from it ^^

Well, why I suggest the tutorials is because of the How to create a TDM gamemode tutorial.

Basically, as you guys suggested, you should also download some gamemode (TDM would be good) and start editing is. It's what I did back in the years.