"Server" format!

So I'm having a problem regarding the "server" file where you change the port for your ip and etc.

The problem is that I can open the file right away without chosing what kind of file I should open it with.
So I need to know what format is the "server" file. It's a .cfg file but I shouldn't be able to open it right away without chosing a format to open it with. So the question is what's the original format for the "server" file?

It's pretty hard to explain but I tried my best, thanks.

Hello!

So, do you host itself, or some hosting company? You can open almost all file types with notepad. Usually SA-MP uses .CFG, .TXT, .DLL and .SO file types.

We are glad to help you .Wicked.

Thanks for such a quick answer CrossUSAAF!

Yes, I'm hosting by myself but the thing is what kind of format is the original "server" file?

It's a .cfg file but to open it you should have to chose notepad and what kind of format is it before you open it with notepad like the original format.

When you download the server package what kind of format is the "server" file?

You mean file what is format server. There is example: example.server. And you wanted to know what is the working/right format to this file.

Sorry, if I Made misunderstanding.

The file you're talking about is called server.cfg and has .CFG has it's file format. .CFG file formats are basically the configuration files of a particular software/program, in this case your samp-server.exe.

Alright so the file is a .cfg file.
But when you have downloaded the server package the "server" file will still be a .cfg format but you will have to chose what to open it with right?

Why can't you just open the .cfg file right away? You have to choose what kind of format you should open the file with. So why is that? What kind of file/format is the .cfg using?

It's pretty hard to explain what I mean...

When you select Notepad, click 'Always use the selected program to open this kind of file'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Wicked
View Post
Why can't you just open the .cfg file right away? You have to choose what kind of format you should open the file with. So why is that? What kind of file/format is the .cfg using?
The thing which you're refering as "format" here is called a text editor, namely notepad,wordpad etc.

RXservers!

What kind of file/format is it before you check the "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file"?

NOTE: Problem isn't fixed yet!

Yes, this is what I Wanted in my first reply. Thank you for highlighting.

If you try to open a file with an extension that Windows does not know, it will ask you which program to open it with. There will be a checkbox like 'Always open these files with this program'. If that is checked, the popup will no longer appear if you try to open the file again. I don't really see what your problem is.

You can enable all file extensions by going into Windows Explorer. Go to Extra -> Folder Options -> Display and untick the box that says 'Hide file extensions for known file types'. Note that I use a Dutch version of Windows, so translations may not be accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Wicked
View Post
RXservers!

What kind of file/format is it before you check the "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file"?
You can select any text editor, I recommend using Notepad++.

The Format Is .cfg And Open It With Notepad The Notepad Format .txt But You Dont Need To change the file type

@.Wicked; As for all .cfg (COD4 etc) Every game(Almost) Has this, what you need to press is Double Click your .cfg -> Notepad(Located C:\Windows\System32\Notepad.exe) and Click "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" and press OK and it will open it as a regular text document, but still be .cfg!