Operating Systems

I'm thinking of maybe upgrading from W7 Home Premium to Windows 8

Windows 8 has a new bootup screen

And has a new desktop which can be done with Windows key + D I believe

(There's no start button)

Is it really worth it to upgrade?
I've seen that it boots up faster (******* videos), responds faster, but does not support all the software, applications, and games as i've read a review about it

Sure, Why not.
Be aware that RARE(LY) you'll find games / programs that will not be compatible with it.

most program coders won't re-make their code when there's only a few hundred people with w8.

I'd stick with w7 untill w8 is actually done.

ps

As for boot-up time, that depends on your specs. SSDs really help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathh
Посмотреть сообщение
ps

As for boot-up time, that depends on your specs. SSDs really help.
As far as hard drive is concerned, when compared to W7 and W8 in BOTH SSD and HDD, Hdd's is faster to boot on W8 and it takes a turtle to cross the road in HDD's on W7 (Well imo), and SSD's win obviously

I've had the Release Preview running on my laptop for a few months now and there's some things I like, and some I dislike. An upgrade from XP, Vista, or 7 to Windows 8 Pro will be offered for $39.99, so I'd assume many will upgrade...

By The Way, that "boot Screen" as you called it is actually the start menu. When you turn your PC on, that menu will appear. In that menu, there is a desktop block, which you can click to view your desktop. To return to your start menu, you can simply push the windows button on your keyboard, or scroll to the far left bottom corner, and the menu will appear.

Thanks,
Gerrit

Also, between the two, I have seen a noticeable boot and shutdown difference with Windows 8.

No start button?

I wouldn't get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3nZ
Посмотреть сообщение
No start button?

I wouldn't get it.
startbutton brings you to the new screen you see in the first screenshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerr139
Посмотреть сообщение
I've had the Release Preview running on my laptop for a few months now and there's some things I like, and some I dislike. An upgrade from XP, Vista, or 7 to Windows 8 Pro will be offered for $39.99, so I'd assume many will upgrade...

By The Way, that "boot Screen" as you called it is actually the start menu. When you turn your PC on, that menu will appear. In that menu, there is a desktop block, which you can click to view your desktop. To return to your start menu, you can simply push the windows button on your keyboard, or scroll to the far left bottom corner, and the menu will appear.

Thanks,
Gerrit

Also, between the two, I have seen a noticeable boot and shutdown difference with Windows 8.
For that price of $40 it may be worth the upgrade, the fast bootup is also a plus for me, but the missing start button and the ugly UI isn't one of my likes

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3nZ
Посмотреть сообщение
No start button?

I wouldn't get it.
Yes there is no Start button, but you can get to all your programs in the bottom-left side (Where the start button used to be) and get back to the home screen

No start button. Probably the worst mistake they ever made. And to continue the tradition of one good Windows OS being followed by a bad one; Windows 98 good, Windows ME bad, Windows XP good, Windows Vista bad, Windows 7 good, Windows 8 bad? So ye, i'll probably stick with 7 until they release Windows 9.

It reminds me of the Windows Phone OS. Although yes, they have changed the UI alot.

lol i first thought this is a textdraw concept. it looks like one...
after decades, i got used to low-quality GUIs, M$ cannot disappoint me anymore - they suck as designers.
now seriously: a bootscreen with 99% redundant information? procesor 32%, memory 25%? used? free? how much? 10MHz & 16MB? even the Canon cameras' menus are looking more decent.. oh, no start button, huh? but a taskbar eating 10 centimeters in height to fit in a few fancy icons? jesus christ.