New Housing Idea.

Ever since cessil added the stripped house objects in the latest 0.3e, I've been obsessed with making interiors like they are in GTAIV (no teleport, straight walk-in).

So think of a property buying system, and take a look at the picture below.

At that moment, anyone can simply push through the door without owning the property, but I've been wanting to find a way to block the door from opening from both sides, and in order to do that we need an invisible object (with a definite volume) the same size of an average door with just a tad bit bigger on the front/back side of the door.

(tried to replicate it best as I could with Paint lol)

The only other difficulty I can think of is getting the co-ordinates to place the door and invisible door that acts a 'lock', but that could be fixed using the object editing tool.

Another cool thing is the expansion of realism this could bring to the game. No more /enter /exit, police can conduct realistic raids, it'd be badass overall imo.

What do you think? Is this a good idea that will totally re-vamp interiors? Or is it a waste of time? Share your thoughts below.

I wouldn't recommend doing this if you're editing a script that already has /enter and /exit because it would be a lot of conversion, but if you're making a new script from scratch then you should totally go for it.

You could use the invisible wall object (19374) to block the door.

I'm not sure exactly how this is a good idea though - all houses would be the same?

i will chose the first option "a pretty good idea that will totally re-vamp interiors"!
this will add realism to many servers! thats pretty cool (if it could be made)!.
and as Viper said all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperViper
View Post
I wouldn't recommend doing this if you're editing a script that already has /enter and /exit because it would be a lot of conversion, but if you're making a new script from scratch then you should totally go for it.
Well, ofc the script would be optimized to fit this system. I'll definitely try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP2
View Post
You could use the invisible wall object (19374) to block the door.

I'm not sure exactly how this is a good idea though - all houses would be the same?
It's hard to see how big the invisible wall is. Yeah, all the houses would be the same inside, and it's a good idea because you're more connected with the outside world.

Wow, this is actually pretty cool idea.

Quick question, due to the whole for sale and blocking stuff. What about a house locking feature, have you thought about that? Because you could just use the same method as the for sale with the invisible object.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven82
View Post
Wow, this is actually pretty cool idea.

Quick question, due to the whole for sale and blocking stuff. What about a house locking feature, have you thought about that? Because you could just use the same method as the for sale with the invisible object.
Of course, wouldn't be a housing system without the locking feature, maybe even a /lights command that toggles showing the player an almost-transparent textdraw. Also maybe even the ability to add furniture like this thread.. There could also be a /breakin command for robbers, with house-alarm functionability, the possibilities are endless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentDunn
View Post
It's hard to see how big the invisible wall is.
all you need to do is use the ID 1 below the invisible wall object you want to position, then in the final script just change the id up 1 so it's the invisible wall

I think this idea is worth trying. The main benefit is that there are actually real windows through which you can view outside. And more realism: no more houses that look like tiny kennels from outside and huge mansions from inside

Try to find a wall in the door's size and apply the texture of the door to it so you can't push it AND can't go though.

Why not use the door object itself?

the door objects have the swinging stuff built in or something like that

some don't, they are solid if im correct so you wont be able to pass thru

one thing that comes into my mind, are per-player objects. using the solid door for strangers, but the swinging door for the houseowner/keyholder/cops?
using that method, how to check if a player breaks into the house by shooting some windows and jumping inside through a side entrance/window/balkony/roof? i would try a zone script to do that, maybe by checking the player-closest object:
if a player is closer than 4 meters to a certain object (all floors inside?), then check if he's the owner. if not, place him at the house entrance?

When I began to script from scratch, I thought exactly like you, except bigger. I removed most of the houses in Fort Carson, Businesses, Police Station, and I started to map a whole open world kind of thing, where you can just walk into a businesses, and not have to go through commands. I also added a lot more features to it, but they aren't fully working and I need to fix some parts about them. But overall it is a great idea, and when you actually get into it, it gets really fun and challenging at some points. Good luck. Also for the locking, I just used the invisible wall they put in.

I've wanted to try this out too! I think it would go great with my furniture editor!

As for the doors, simply find a "swinging" door and a rigid door, then find a set of door textures then just apply these textures to the door in the doorway. This way it will look the same but just swap functionality, that is IF you can find a swinging and rigid one the same size (I'm sure there are some)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessil
Посмотреть сообщение
all you need to do is use the ID 1 below the invisible wall object you want to position, then in the final script just change the id up 1 so it's the invisible wall
I found it, already made one static house for testing, starting to look good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meta
Посмотреть сообщение
Try to find a wall in the door's size and apply the texture of the door to it so you can't push it AND can't go though.
Then no-one can push the door through which is the one of the main ideas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babul
Посмотреть сообщение
one thing that comes into my mind, are per-player objects. using the solid door for strangers, but the swinging door for the houseowner/keyholder/cops?
using that method, how to check if a player breaks into the house by shooting some windows and jumping inside through a side entrance/window/balkony/roof? i would try a zone script to do that, maybe by checking the player-closest object:
if a player is closer than 4 meters to a certain object (all floors inside?), then check if he's the owner. if not, place him at the house entrance?
For breaking through windows, I'll make it so you have to map in the windows in game, and make it save the window's coordinates, then in the breakin command, just use the GetXYInFrontOfPlayer stock and set them like 1 gta unit in front of them. No hassling with zones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [HLF]Southclaw
Посмотреть сообщение
I've wanted to try this out too! I think it would go great with my furniture editor!

As for the doors, simply find a "swinging" door and a rigid door, then find a set of door textures then just apply these textures to the door in the doorway. This way it will look the same but just swap functionality, that is IF you can find a swinging and rigid one the same size (I'm sure there are some)
That's actually a really good idea, I haven't messed with SetObjectMaterial so it'll be kind of new to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentDunn
Посмотреть сообщение
I found it, already made one static house for testing, starting to look good.

Then no-one can push the door through which is the one of the main ideas.

For breaking through windows, I'll make it so you have to map in the windows in game, and make it save the window's coordinates, then in the breakin command, just use the GetXYInFrontOfPlayer stock and set them like 1 gta unit in front of them. No hassling with zones.

That's actually a really good idea, I haven't messed with SetObjectMaterial so it'll be kind of new to me.
Combine this with player objects and you can create a blocked door for everyone else and a normal door for the owner.

With breaking in you could use the high-throw anim for grenades while far away from the window to throw a brick or something, or unlocking/atm anim while at the window to do it more silently or something!

The object material functions are great! For instance you could even put the price on the for sale sign instead of in some floating 3D text label. I think it's one of the best additions to SA:MP as it opens up so many possibilities!

If you pursue this project, keep me posted, I'm very interested in how this will turn out!

Nice idea. Worth trying at.

I think this is a great idea. I tried to this since 0.3e RC versions but failed. It takes a lot of time (house position, doors, "lock doors"). Also its bad for the cheaters which can airbreak through the door. Give it a try though